PDA

View Full Version : Is 8Gb ipod worth it.1st time buy

surajnangia
Dec 19, 2006, 10:56 AM
Hi

I will be buying an ipod ist time.. Just wanted to know if the 8 GB ipod is worth it . Planning to get the red one..

O dont watch movies as such so not that interested in the video one. But ill like opinions. Does the video one have any such adv over nano for me to change my mind.

Thanks

ero87
Dec 19, 2006, 11:06 AM
It's a great purchase! in fact, the Nano (what you're considering) has advantages over the video.

The larger-capacity iPods use hard drives to store the information; this involves moving/spinning parts. THESE TEND TO BREAK/MALFUNCTION.

the Nanos use flash memory, which is much less fragile. go with the nano, it's perfect for you!

macg4
Dec 19, 2006, 12:17 PM
well, it also depends on the size of ur music collection as well. how much space do u need?

surajnangia
Dec 19, 2006, 12:20 PM
well rite now i have abt 1600 songs in my itunes in apple lossless format...
I dont know what that means..

I think so max 1200 songs will do me cause the other 400 songs i hardly listen to

macg4
Dec 19, 2006, 12:32 PM
well rite now i have abt 1600 songs in my itunes in apple lossless format...
I dont know what that means..

I think so max 1200 songs will do me cause the other 400 songs i hardly listen to yeah with that amount of songs 8gb should be fine for you.. i have about 1500 more songs than that and im still around 10gig full on my ipod video(30gig)

Capt Underpants
Dec 19, 2006, 12:48 PM
If I had your size music collection, I would go with the 30 GB iPod. I have about 2,300 songs and I come in at 10.36 GB. But your songs are lossless, so you probably have more music (gigabyte wise) than me. Chances are you will outgrow the 8 GB nano long before you'll want to... and having all of your music is always a plus.

GreeneGirl7
Dec 19, 2006, 12:51 PM
If you're really active, or want something to listen to while you exercise, you'll definitely want the nano. If not, you will probably be happier with the 30GB iPod video because of the size of your music collection - unless you wouldn't mind giving up the lossless. Or if you really prefer how the nano looks.

GreeneGirl7
Dec 19, 2006, 12:54 PM
Oh, and in iTunes you can see how many GBs your music would take up - it's in the center at the bottom of the window, the last thing listed.

n-abounds
Dec 19, 2006, 01:05 PM
are there supposed to be any major upgrades for the next nano? I can't imagine what they would do other than bigger sizes or cheaper prices..

Annndy!
Dec 19, 2006, 01:09 PM
Nanos just got an 'update' not too long ago, so I wouldn't worry about any major upgrades in the near future.

Tom B.
Dec 19, 2006, 01:34 PM
According to iLounge's iPod Storage Calculator (http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/ipod/calculator/), an 8GB iPod would hold about 306 songs in Apple Lossless, if they are an average of 4 minutes long. I would recommend that you convert your songs to a lower bitrate, or get an iPod with a higher capacity. 30GB will hold 1148 Apple Lossless songs and 80GB will hold 3063.

GreeneGirl7
Dec 19, 2006, 03:10 PM
According to iLounge's iPod Storage Calculator (http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/ipod/calculator/), an 8GB iPod would hold about 306 songs in Apple Lossless, if they are an average of 4 minutes long. I would recommend that you convert your songs to a lower bitrate, or get an iPod with a higher capacity. 30GB will hold 1148 Apple Lossless songs and 80GB will hold 3063.

Cool calculator thing. :)

1rottenapple
Dec 20, 2006, 03:44 AM
Are you an audiophile and is that why you have the songs in the lossless format?

If yes, then you might want the 30giger then due to hd size limit you will experience with nanos in general.

If not, you can definitely work with a 8gig nano with songs at 192kbs in the AAC format. You can fit only the songs you like via setting limits on which songs gets transfered, for example only songs with ratings of 3 stars or higher, which is what I do. I also save about 200mbs of my 4 gig nano or long howard stern shows. :)

I love my nano buy the way, carry it EVERYWHERE whether in the car on the way to work, as a music while at work, and at the gym.

Hi

I will be buying an ipod ist time.. Just wanted to know if the 8 GB ipod is worth it . Planning to get the red one..

O dont watch movies as such so not that interested in the video one. But ill like opinions. Does the video one have any such adv over nano for me to change my mind.

Thanks