PDA

View Full Version : Frustrated Windows users eye Apple's Mac

MacBytes
Dec 19, 2006, 04:37 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Apple Hardware
Link: Frustrated Windows users eye Apple's Mac (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20061219173724)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

wrldwzrd89
Dec 20, 2006, 07:15 AM
Put simply, security holes in Windows are driving people to switch to Macs. To me, this is a good thing. No operating system is perfect, mind you - not even Mac OS X - but Mac OS X sure seems to cope far better than Windows does with the daily stress of the Internet.

dale.albiston
Dec 20, 2006, 08:03 AM
Put simply, security holes in Windows are driving people to switch to Macs. To me, this is a good thing. No operating system is perfect, mind you - not even Mac OS X - but Mac OS X sure seems to cope far better than Windows does with the daily stress of the Internet.

Its not a bad article, for ages much of the 'hate' microsquish get hans't been focused. now malware is a def target.

My choice to switch to a mac was driven by a few things:

o - the sony DRM root kit rubbish (didn't suffer directly, but I'm not happy I could have)

o - spending ages removing malware, configuring firewalls etc.

o - having to deal with various 'anti-copy' schemes, starfire I'm looking at you, that prevent various other things working. (such as my dvd drive)

o - windows 'activation', why do I have to beg for permission to use that for which I have paid, and had to reinstall over and over again due to the above...

but the number #1, the biggy that pushed me over the edge..

o - 'windows genuine advantage' biggest bit of malware I've found yet. coupled to the attitude of microsquish, i.e. 'pay up for a new copy' dispite mine being legit etc.. oh and thats when you find someone who speaks english.

the general attitude of microsquish I don't like, I hate the various vendors who try to make life hard, e.g. pre-loaded crap you can't get rid of.

so far apple haven't annoyed me, I dare say they will over something, but linux wasn't quiet upto what I wanted, and microsoft was out. besides macs *look* good.

'vista' will succeed, the inertia of 'office' will make sure of that, but longer term i can see more of the home market moving elsewhere.

the issue has always been games, i.e. lack of games on other than windows, I gave up on windows games years ago, to much hastle to get them working right. I have a ps2 for games, my computer is for other things.

mkrishnan
Dec 20, 2006, 08:25 AM
I switched because I like the community. Well, not everyone. :eek: ;) :D But most of you. :)

Seriously, Vista is shaping up to be an improvement on many fronts but no panacea. There's a statement in this article:

The ultimate nightmare for Microsoft would be if Vista doesn't succeed at stopping viruses and spyware. Its executives should lie awake nights, worrying whether the next generation of malware will find holes in Vista similar to those that riddle Windows XP.

Does anyone aside from the author think for a moment that this nightmare will not come true? I mean please... I think Vista is a good thing, again. But the chances that Vista by itself will solve the virus / spyware / etcware issues of the Windows franchise seem to me minimal at best.

wrldwzrd89
Dec 20, 2006, 08:30 AM
I switched because I like the community. Well, not everyone. :eek: ;) :D But most of you. :)

Seriously, Vista is shaping up to be an improvement on many fronts but no panacea. There's a statement in this article:

Does anyone aside from the author think for a moment that this nightmare will not come true? I mean please... I think Vista is a good thing, again. But the chances that Vista by itself will solve the virus / spyware / etcware issues of the Windows franchise seem to me minimal at best.
My personal take on the second point you mentioned is this: As long as Windows continues to use its current foundation (and doesn't undergo a ground-up rewrite), it will continue to be subject to chronic security breaches. The changes made in Vista address the most glaring problems, but I have a feeling that many core issues still exist that are dependent on design decisions made back in the Windows 1.0 days, and are thus considered features, not bugs.

mainstreetmark
Dec 20, 2006, 08:59 AM

I believe this is going to be even MORE critical for Apple. Apples future as a computer maker depends on this sole fact, and it has two resolutions:

1. Vista becomes secure. People stop leaving, and stop coming over to Apple, since Vista is now an equal player and doesn't suffer from "that other platform" syndrome. Apple languishes, selling some sort of pocket media device.
2. Vista is still insecure. People get fed up and immediately jump ship, and almost all of them go to Apple, since Linux isn't up to stuff yet. Apple will become King OS. Microsoft becomes "that company what makes Office".

2007 will be the year the two OS's collide once again in an epic battle for domination. All it takes to swing the vote is some little hacker who finds a big hole in Vista and destroys the whole thing. Kind of like Frodo.

mkrishnan
Dec 20, 2006, 09:07 AM
Kind of like Frodo.

Best. Analogy. Ever. :D

No, Gandalf, your hobbits are already dead. :D :D :D

I think you bring up a good point, and I do think that 2007 is going to be a big year for Apple to win consumer hearts as far as OSes go. But... I personally think that, as much of a deal security issues are, and as much as I like OS X for this reason, ultimately the winner of the battle is going to be more based on who has the better home/lifestyle paradigm. That is, I think that Apple is most likely to do well against Microsoft by continuing to emphasize the fact that Apples let you focus your time on really fulfilling activities involving exploring art, interacting with people you love, creating, etc, etc., rather than solely being an extension of the office into the home. So I think the much bigger question is whether Apple can continue to out-innovate the sort of best-of-breed mixes of iLifey software available on Windows.