PDA

View Full Version : TWO iPods, ONE Computer

jason2811
Dec 19, 2006, 09:18 PM
I currently keep all my songs on my computer in my itunes library and sync them with my iPod. My brother and I share the computer and he is now getting an iPod and wants to put his own music on it. Is it possible to have TWO different libraries in iTunes each with different music? So that when my brother plugs his iPod in it will transfer only his songs and when I plug mine in it will only transfer MY songs? Is this possible? Thanks.

Dec 19, 2006, 09:20 PM
I currently keep all my songs on my computer in my itunes library and sync them with my iPod. My brother and I share the computer and he is now getting an iPod and wants to put his own music on it. Is it possible to have TWO different libraries in iTunes each with different music? So that when my brother plugs his iPod in it will transfer only his songs and when I plug mine in it will only transfer MY songs? Is this possible? Thanks.

Create a new user/ profile.. That'd be the easiest.. and keep each other out of each others skin..

jason2811
Dec 19, 2006, 09:23 PM
Well this is on our home desktop (which is a PC). I have my own MacBook which I use for school and whatnot but I don't keep much music on there.

Dec 19, 2006, 09:24 PM
Make a new user on the windows machine.. It isn't too hard.. and you guys have seperate accounts...

pianoman
Dec 19, 2006, 10:19 PM
you can configure this through the iPod settings. when he plugs in his iPod, it will ask him if he wants to transfer all his music - click no. then, go into iPod settings (by clicking on the iPod in the source pane in iTunes 7) and check the playlists to sync for each iPod. he can sync whatever playlists he wants on his iPod and you can sync whatever playlists you want on yours. the computer and iTunes will recognize the different iPods when they are plugged in and will only sync whatever playlists you have selected for the specific iPod.

jason2811
Dec 20, 2006, 08:16 AM
Yeah but neither of us use playlists. We each just want to have our own libraries. Is it possible?

happy.buddha
Dec 20, 2006, 08:36 AM
Yeah you buy an external drive for the MacBook and keep your music on there and then you don't have to worry about sharing with your brother nor do you have to worry about your music being on the MacBook.

gloss
Dec 20, 2006, 08:36 AM
Not without creating new users. Why not just turn off auto-sync and load up your iPods manually?

TheNightPhoenix
Dec 20, 2006, 08:48 AM
Hold down alt when you boot up iTunes and each of you have your own library?

*edit* sorry forgot it's hold down shift when you open itunes to manage multiple libraries.

ziwi
Dec 20, 2006, 08:50 AM
Still seems easier to just creat 2 playlists versus managing users - 1 playlist called mine and one called his and then have the iPods sync to the playlist that matches...;)

jason2811
Dec 21, 2006, 09:08 AM
anybody anyone else?

Chundles
Dec 21, 2006, 09:16 AM
Not without creating new users. Why not just turn off auto-sync and load up your iPods manually?

TA DAH!!!

Easiest option right here. I hate, haaate auto-sync, every iPod I own is set for manual syncing of music.

Do this jason2811 and your problems will be solved. This way you control what goes on your iPod.

Piarco
Dec 21, 2006, 09:17 AM
Two playlists a doddle. If the music is to be stored on the same computer, why does it matter if they are stored in different areas?

My housemate and I share the same library. We have some similar tastes, but them some wildly differing tastes. We run two iPods each from our respective playlists. Simplicity itself...

TheNightPhoenix
Dec 21, 2006, 10:35 AM
anybody anyone else?

Do none the the suggestions above do it for you?

Apart from auto syncing from a play list theres no way to auto sync when plugged in.

The other option is like i said and have two libraries, but requires to hold keys when opening itunes.

Marky_Mark
Dec 23, 2006, 05:03 PM
Sync'ing playlists works well - I maintain four iPods from one library - mine, my wife's and each of my daughters. No sweat.

d wade
Dec 23, 2006, 07:56 PM
Yeah but neither of us use playlists. We each just want to have our own libraries. Is it possible?

dude, are you not listening to ANYONE?

MAKE A SEPARATE ACCOUNT ON THE WINDOWS COMPUTER

penter
Dec 24, 2006, 03:00 PM
there are easy solutions to your problem when using a Mac, such as scripts, third party applications, or simply by holding down "option" when launching iTunes.

I myself have attempted these methods for creating multiple libraries, and they work just fine. Now since you have a PC things are different....

I would say that creating playlists for you and your brother is the easiest way to solve the problem (if you do so, then set you iPod for Manuall Management). I know you have previously refused the proposal, but to me it seems lazy of your part.... Take a look at it, if you're not happy, then look around online for 3rd party programs that may offer such capabilities.