Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/05/05/gitmo.detainees/index.html

i think what i find more interesting than the story itself is that colin powell sent a letter to rumsfeld saying that detainees need to be processed more quickly... another reason i find powell to be one person i can respect in the current administration... this particular aspect might be kinda old news. my apologies if so.

nytimes take:

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/national/AP-Guantanamo-Prisoners.html

(requires username- i can post text if so desired)

topicolo

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2002
Ottawa, ON
I just think it's freaky that it took Rummy and pals over a year to declare these guys not guilty. Can you imagine being locked up for a year, knowing you're innocent? I'd be mighty pissed once I got out.

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
Originally posted by topicolo
I just think it's freaky that it took Rummy and pals over a year to declare these guys not guilty. Can you imagine being locked up for a year, knowing you're innocent? I'd be mighty pissed once I got out.
Needless to say, nobody will have any redress. Gross violations of human rights are just routine for this administration. What happened to accountability? Or do people in the US just not care?

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
Originally posted by skunk
Needless to say, nobody will have any redress. Gross violations of human rights are just routine for this administration. What happened to accountability? Or do people in the US just not care?

in my opinion, the problem is that yes, many people don't care. mainly because they don't know. ignorance runs wild here. (though i think it does in many places). also, our system is such that the people have very little voice. luckily, our favorite corporations have a huge amount of power so that's reassuring... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
hmm... i'll bet this didn't have anything to do with the McCarthy files being reopened...

I'm still trying to figure out why exactly these guys were held so long. I mean, is it possible the government really needed this long to confirm the innocence of all of them? but what could the ulterior motive be? i mean, the administration (or at least part of it) doesn't seem to think the american public takes notice of it, or it would have been dealt with. But they still had to man this prison and feed the people.... even if they were still uncertain about some of them, why not let the rest go?

confusing...

i'm just glad they're finally out of there. hope none of them harbor too bad feelings, but i can't blame them when they do :(

pnw

Juventuz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2002
Binghamton
People do realize that they aren't being released into freedom right?

They're being released from Gitmo and handed over to their respective countries where they'll most likely face charges. The men in Gitmo weren't picked off the street for being Arab, they were caught in battle fighting with the Taliban and Al Qaeda. I for one feel better knowing that they're not out planning another attack. They thought they had it bad in Gitmo, wait until they return home.

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
Originally posted by Juventuz
The men in Gitmo weren't picked off the street for being Arab, they were caught in battle fighting with the Taliban and Al Qaeda. I for one feel better knowing that they're not out planning another attack.
1. We have no idea where or when they were picked up: no evidence has been offered, no case has been made.
2. If they were fighting with the Taleban, they were fighting legitimately, and they were defending a lawfully constituted government.

Gelfin

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2001
Denver, CO

Many of us do care, for all the good that does. Ends justify means to this administration, and the public at large are eating up the media glorification of the ends. Rational viewpoints have been almost completely marginalized, and it seems all we can do about it is vote against the guy. We don't get to do that for another year or so, and even then he's likely to get re-elected.

I like my country, and I like the principles I thought it stood for, but for some of us it's a very frustrating time to be an American.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
I sympathize. It's not that hot being British either....

yeah sorry about that, by the way. not sure why we had to drag you guys into this, we were just clawing for allies. i don't know much about the british government, but blair doesn't seem to have any... how to put this nicely... balls? when it comes to our charming leader :rolleyes:... i can't believe he was willing to defy his own people for this... tho maybe the majority of your country are sheep too, just the protesters got televised...

pnw

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.