Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Today's entry in the Yikes Files...

A woman places her month-old grandson in a bin for carry-on items. Doctors later determine he did not get a dangerous dose of radiation.

A woman going through security at Los Angeles International Airport put her month-old grandson into a plastic bin intended for carry-on items and slid it into an X-ray machine.

The early Saturday accident — bizarre but not unprecedented — caught airport workers by surprise, even though the security line was not busy at the time, officials said.

A screener watching the machine's monitor immediately noticed the outline of a baby and pulled the bin backward on the conveyor belt.

The infant was taken to Centinela Hospital, where doctors determined that he had not received a dangerous dose of radiation.

Officials, who declined to release the 56-year-old woman's name, said she spoke Spanish and apparently did not understand English.

She initially didn't want the baby transported to a hospital, but security officials called paramedics and insisted that the child be examined by a doctor.

The grandmother and the child were subsequently allowed to board an Alaska Airlines flight to Mexico City.

The rare incident drew attention to whether officials are staffing often-busy security checkpoints enough to prevent such an accident. And it raised questions about the danger of X-rays used to pick out suspicious metal shapes in passenger bags, given the medical community's warnings that even low amounts of radiation can build up over a lifetime.

"Rather than focus on the radiation dose, which is a small amount, we need to focus on why this happened, so it doesn't happen again," said Dr. James Borgstede, a diagnostic radiologist at Penrose-St. Francis Health Systems in Colorado Springs, Colo., and president of the American College of Radiology. "Human beings weren't meant to go through those things."

In the several seconds the baby spent in the machine, the doctor added, he was exposed to as much radiation as he would naturally get from cosmic rays — or high energy from outer space — in a day.

"This was an innocent mistake by an obviously inexperienced traveler," said Paul Haney, deputy executive director of airports and security for the city's airport agency.

"This is only the second time in nearly 20 years that anyone can recall a traveler mistakenly putting an infant through an airport X-ray machine. Since then LAX has served more than 1 billion travelers without an incident of this type," he said.

In 1988, an infant in a car seat went through an X-ray machine at LAX Terminal 4. Also that year, officials at Winnipeg International Airport in Canada accidentally sent a 2-month-old wrapped in blankets through an X-ray machine.

The TSA said it is continuing to review Saturday's incident at LAX.

"We're trying to figure out what changes we can make, short of putting up signs saying, 'Don't put your baby through the X-ray machine,' " Melendez said. "We're trying to determine how we can make this not happen again

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-baby20dec20,0,6460373.story

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
So no one else was in line to say something? I mean, I fly through LAX fairly often, and there's never an empty security lane. You'd think someone would speak up about that.

Doesn't sound like it was anything that will cause health problems at least.

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68030
Feb 14, 2004
Much greener pastures
Are you sure this isn't some new regulation?

After all, you get one baby with a diaper full of poopers, and another baby carrying an innocent-looking bottle that's full of ammonium nitrate, and by the time you find out they're conspiring together, it's too late. BOOM!

Just saying.

Thanatoast

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2002
Denver
Everyone else in line probably self-censored their warnings in order to keep from getting tagged by the TSA. Scary times.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I was surprised that it was only a day's worth of cosmic rays. A full scan would have been, oh, a week's worth.

I see this now as a cheap alternative to MRIs. All passengers should be required to pass through the machines, which will not only scan them for dangerous weapons but will also look for health issues. Security officials will also be kept alert by getting to look for interesting piercings, and would be paid additional bonuses for each tumor they find.

kitki83

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2004
Los Angeles
what I found awkward was that the lady only knew spanish and yet there was a communication issue. I go through LAX all the time and to hear this is surprising.

brad.c

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2004
50.813669°, -2.474796°
Okay, let's take the news report seriously for a second.

WHY did they rush the baby to the hospital, fer cryin' out loud? If the radiation risk is THAT dangerous, they should rush the security guards and x-ray operator to the hospital too. They get heavier dosing than anybody else.

Wait, hold on. Where did I put my kid..?

apachie2k

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2006
was NYC...now MIAMI
i could not believe this when i first read it, thank god the kid didn't get hurt.. it is really scarry like Thanatoast said.. no 1 would speak up cause they didnt want to get in trouble...

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
WHY did they rush the baby to the hospital, fer cryin' out loud? If the radiation risk is THAT dangerous, they should rush the security guards and x-ray operator to the hospital too. They get heavier dosing than anybody else.

Erm...these are x-rays. Not fast neutrons. Enclosure shielding is effective at preventing the personnel from getting dosed. As opposed to babies that are inside the device. Plus they were dosimeters anyway, don't they?

Now let's get back to the real issue at hand. The baby is not only a terrorist but likely also a human-cylon hybrid. Inexperienced traveller my ass.

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
They use to use x-rays to look at the baby in the womb before they used Ultrasounds. Thats how they looked at my brother, and he's just fine. Sure kids use to throw popcorn at his third eye when he was growing up, but he got over it.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
They use to use x-rays to look at the baby in the womb before they used Ultrasounds. Thats how they looked at my brother, and he's just fine. Sure kids use to throw popcorn at his third eye when he was growing up, but he got over it.

would it be fair to say that he can look past it now? :D

brad.c

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2004
50.813669°, -2.474796°
Erm...these are x-rays. Not fast neutrons. Enclosure shielding is effective at preventing the personnel from getting dosed.
Still, I can't see what is reported to be only a portion of a single-dose, unshielded exposure being an emergent condition. Litigious? Well, theres the answer there. ;)

The baby is not only a terrorist but likely also a human-cylon hybrid. Inexperienced traveller my ass.

The baby is not a terrorist, but a weapon. Ever see a diaper explode at 32K feet? :eek:

KingSleaze

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2004
So. Cal
what I found awkward was that the lady only knew spanish and yet there was a communication issue. I go through LAX all the time and to hear this is surprising.

I've had communication problems with the TSA people at LAX while speaking English.

I worked with radioactive materials at the time, I can't send my dosimetry (radiation exposure monitoring devices) through the x-ray, it would say that I got exposed when I hadn't. Could you do a hand inspection of them?

No, if you want to take it on the plane, it has to go through the x-ray.

So, I have to go through the x-ray?

No, you can't do that, you'll get exposed to radiation.

But if I send the dosimetry through the x-ray, it will say that I've been exposed. Could you do a hand inspection of my dosimetry?

No. It's part of our rules.

Could you show me the rules?

No, it's in the rules that we don't have to show the rules.

Aaaaarrrgggghhhh!

KingSleaze

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2004
So. Cal
Erm...these are x-rays. Not fast neutrons. Enclosure shielding is effective at preventing the personnel from getting dosed. As opposed to babies that are inside the device. Plus they were dosimeters anyway, don't they?

No, they don't wear dosimeters. Look for it or ask the operators next time you go through.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
redtomato: Hiya, where's your dosimeter?

Borg: My what?

redtomato: Your dosimeter. It's a thing that records how much radiation you get.

Borg: Why would I want one of these?

redtomato: You know, in case of accidents. Things go wrong you know.

Borg: Are you threatening me? Security alert!

fuzzwud

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2004
Houston
Now let's get back to the real issue at hand. The baby is not only a terrorist but likely also a human-cylon hybrid. Inexperienced traveller my ass.

Did they ever try X-raying the cylons? Would there be a Battlestar Galactica show if there was? I think it'd turn into an ER/Sci-Fi drama ...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.