PDA

View Full Version : WoW


Rai
May 5, 2003, 04:10 PM
Woohoo:D

I just got my 30 gig ipod, this thing is more beautiful than i imagined, i don't even want to touch it:eek:

I had a few questions:

1. I hate musicmatch for windows (yes i'm a windows user), is the ipod version better, or is there something else i can use. I heard of ephpod on the forum, but is this compatibly with the new ipods.

2. Is the any way i can use the contacts functions, or use audible books or are those things specific to mac's

3. Any recommendation on a good pair of headphones, for an ipod.


Thanks in advance


Ps: The ipod is a trojan horse, it will enter windows users house, and convince windows users to use Mac. I can already feel its Mojo working.:D

tazo
May 5, 2003, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by Rai
Woohoo:D

I just got my 30 gig ipod, this thing is more beautiful than i imagined, i don't even want to touch it:eek:

I had a few questions:

1. I hate musicmatch for windows (yes i'm a windows user), is the ipod version better, or is there something else i can use. I heard of ephpod on the forum, but is this compatibly with the new ipods.

2. Is the any way i can use the contacts functions, or use audible books or are those things specific to mac's

3. Any recommendation on a good pair of headphones, for an ipod.


Thanks in advance


Ps: The ipod is a trojan horse, it will enter windows users house, and convince windows users to use Mac. I can already feel its Mojo working.:D

for headphones I use those SONY behind the neck ones. nice sound and extrmeley confortable. plus they dont mess up ur hair :)

illumin8
May 5, 2003, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by Rai
I heard of ephpod on the forum, but is this compatibly with the new ipods.I just got a 30 GB iPod also and EphPod works great with it. I really like EphPod because you can edit the database within the iPod really easily. If you have a bunch of messed up id3v2 tags like I do you can fix the files easily.

filipp
May 5, 2003, 05:30 PM
About headphones, I dont know if there is anything better than Koss, get Porta Pro, best sound ever! (or sporta pro if you workout much)

/ filipp

Rai
May 5, 2003, 06:05 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions, i'll defenitely try those koss headphones out.

Well I can officially say that the ipod version of music match is even worse than the regular version, (wonder if they did this on purpose). Anyway now search the web to get ephpod.

Its just so beautiful, makes my gateway look like a monster.:o

voicegy
May 5, 2003, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by Rai


3. Any recommendation on a good pair of headphones, for an ipod.


When I get my iPod this summer, I'm getting these to go with 'em...Bang and Olufsen.

jxyama
May 5, 2003, 06:28 PM
It's not a small profile headphone, but I am yet to find a pair better than Grado Lab SR60. It's about $70 and I really doubt you will find a better pair of headphones for the price.

mrjamin
May 5, 2003, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by voicegy
When I get my iPod this summer, I'm getting these to go with 'em...Bang and Olufsen.

I use B&O headphones - they're not designed for being used outside!! The in-ear ones are way too much money for not that good-a-sound. there are some great sony mini-monitors that are great for outdoor use, the sound is great and they don't look like earmuffs!

Bang & olufsen have never been renowned for making good headphones for outdoor use. I have a pair indoor use ones that are amazing - unfortunately they stopped making them 20 years ago! They sound better than any headphones i've sver heard since.

andrewh
May 5, 2003, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by voicegy
When I get my iPod this summer, I'm getting these to go with 'em...Bang and Olufsen.

I have these headphones and use them with my iPod. They are fantastic and look good with the ipod, from a design point of view.

I have also tried some in-the-ear Sony buds that are very good, but to me are uncomfortable after an hour or so at the most. The Bang and Olufsen's don't go right inside the ear so they are MUCH more comfortable. Highly recommended. I paid $160 but they are probably cheaper online somewhere.

--andrew

JesseJames
May 5, 2003, 06:54 PM
Radio Shack.

Get the ones with the titanium diaphragm. You won't believe your ears. Yes, that Radio Shack. :)

andrewh
May 5, 2003, 06:58 PM
The B&O are designed for portable use, that means indoors and outdoors. But, yes, they let in noise because they are not plugs. On a noisy bus, etc., that could be a problem depending on how picky you are. To me it's not a problem. If you want super comfort you have to live with that. If you want to block out the sound get some earbuds.

The price is not a problem for me but of course that's relative. Check out ePinions.com on these. These headphones are unanimously loved by all who have bought them. Don't believe the "20 years ago" nonsense.








Originally posted by mrjamin
I use B&O headphones - they're not designed for being used outside!! The in-ear ones are way too much money for not that good-a-sound. there are some great sony mini-monitors that are great for outdoor use, the sound is great and they don't look like earmuffs!

Bang & olufsen have never been renowned for making good headphones for outdoor use. I have a pair indoor use ones that are amazing - unfortunately they stopped making them 20 years ago! They sound better than any headphones i've sver heard since.

Rai
May 5, 2003, 07:23 PM
Hehe:D


Voiceguy actually own, the bang and olufsen in the ear headphones you where taking about. Got them free, last year when i bought a stereo from the B&O.

Was planning to ebay, to fund my new headphones, never thought they where any good. I just checked epinion.com surprised the rating are so high.

Can a in the ear headphone, sound as good as over the ear headphones?

mrjamin
May 5, 2003, 07:37 PM
ah, haven't seen those headphones (image didn't load when i posted this thread last time). I went off B&O stuff when i realised there was a load of much better stuff out there that wasn't so stupidly overpriced!!

i was thinking of the small square ones - they're a couple of generations up from the ones i've got.

Seriously andrewh, you have never seen/heard a pair of headphones like the ones i've got - the only ones i've heard that are as good are the proper sennheiser monitoring sets. Granted; they're absolutely huge and your ears get a little hot after wearing them for an hour or so, but they sound absolutely incredible. Will have a fish around on the net for a pic, expect more soon...

mrjamin
May 5, 2003, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by andrewh
Don't believe the "20 years ago" nonsense.

...oh yeah, not trying to start an argument here, but think about this: if the 20 years ago 'nonsense' is nonsense, then why are all the best hifi's made out of valves (40+ year old technology)? Why are vintage guitar amps in so much demand?

Old technology ESPECIALLY when it comes to audio gear is arguably better. Ok, the new digital range (DVDA/SACD etc) might sound crisp and defined through a 1000 tranny amp, but it doesn't have any of the warmth of even a 400 part-valve amp! Some of my favourite songs have been ruined through overpriced new technology.

people buy b&o because it says b&o on it and they assume its going to be good. the fact of the matter is; if you talk to any hardcore-hifi fanatic, they'll laugh at you. I'm not a hifi purist, but i do know what sounds good and what's overpriced.

like i said, not starting a flamewar, just providing food for thought.

andrewh
May 5, 2003, 08:17 PM
Sorry. No offense meant by my comments.

I don't claim to be an audio expert either, but wanted to give my positive opinion of the product. I've listened to a lot of headphones for portable use. Expensive Sony's, Koss, B&O, and more. My benchmark for audio reproduction is a Yamaha cinema DSP home theatre and huge pair of $300 Sony headphones that are quite good (no, I don't beleive Sony are the best at everything either). Doesn't make me an expert but I know what sounds good.

All I'm saying is that the B&O's are very comfortable, sound very good and in my opinion a good product. It's the only one of their products that I own so I don't think it's me being a sucker for branding. I don't know if they are the best headphones in the world or not and am not really concerned about that. If someone says they are crap they are flat out wrong. Listen to the stock iPod headphones. Those are crap.

Also, I grew up listening to vinyl, and my dad's stereo was brilliant. I agree that the latest technology isn't significantly better. Okay... I take back the "20 years ago" comment... Oh too late.



Originally posted by mrjamin
...oh yeah, not trying to start an argument here, but think about this: if the 20 years ago 'nonsense' is nonsense, then why are all the best hifi's made out of valves (40+ year old technology)? Why are vintage guitar amps in so much demand?

Old technology ESPECIALLY when it comes to audio gear is arguably better. Ok, the new digital range (DVDA/SACD etc) might sound crisp and defined through a 1000 tranny amp, but it doesn't have any of the warmth of even a 400 part-valve amp! Some of my favourite songs have been ruined through overpriced new technology.

people buy b&o because it says b&o on it and they assume its going to be good. the fact of the matter is; if you talk to any hardcore-hifi fanatic, they'll laugh at you. I'm not a hifi purist, but i do know what sounds good and what's overpriced.

like i said, not starting a flamewar, just providing food for thought.

Zeke
May 5, 2003, 08:31 PM
I'd get a pair of Sony's noise canceling ear buds. They are very good and the noise cancellation is excellent (better than the supposed Bose QuietComfort standard). Wear those headphones and everything else is gone. If you're lucky you can find a pair on ebay for a good deal (~$50). Worth the investment...

Edit: Model that I've used is MDR-NC11. Very good. The others are probably comparable as they have the same circuitry.

ibookin'
May 5, 2003, 09:16 PM
I have the Sony Fontopia MDR-EX71LP earbuds and they're great. I haven't even burned them in all the way and they sound excellent. I highly recommend them. They are in-the-ear, but this is the way Sony accomplishes the great bass these little things have. They come in white, gray, and black, but if you want the white ones to match your iPod you have to special order them from China. http://www.audiocubes.com does this, but they're out of stock until May 12th.

I wouldn't go with noise cancelling 'phones for use while walking on the street or cycling, or whatever, for obvious reasons. :)

Rai
May 5, 2003, 10:09 PM
As for headphones, i will be Ebaying my bang and oulfsen headphones, they are amazing stylish, and have better sound than the apple headphones, but i generally find in the ear head phones uncomfortable.

If anyone interested they in near mint condition, never used them since i got them, except to try on the ipod.(shameless attempt to sell them):D


I encountered quite a few problems, using the ipod on windows, i have overcome most of them. but i'll probably post that in a new thread, hopefully it will help out some other window users.

FelixDerKater
May 5, 2003, 11:10 PM
SONY MDR-E888. Awesome if you get one of the newer batches. They sound so clear and look nice as well.

xcalibur
May 6, 2003, 11:44 AM
Any recommendation on a good pair of headphones, for an ipod
Rai..i would advice you to look around www.head-fi.org ..Do a search and see what people recommend for use with the ipod..here's one of them

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33496

people buy b&o because it says b&o on it and they assume its going to be good. the fact of the matter is; if you talk to any hardcore-hifi fanatic, they'll laugh at you.
The B&Os are highly overpriced...for the same price you can get much better headphones/earphones...do a search on head-fi and you'll see what i mean...piece of advice though..once you're in head-fi your wallet's gonna go! :)

Rai
May 6, 2003, 11:44 PM
thanks Xcalibur thanks alot for the Head-Fi forum. Got tones of info. Didn't know people where into headphones so much. :D

xcalibur
May 7, 2003, 05:30 AM
no prob man...i think the koss-ksc 35s are very highly rated...haven't heard them before though...

melchior
May 7, 2003, 06:19 AM
koss is good with ksc-35's being excellent value and the porta pro too. but if you are even slightly style conscious you probably have a right to look down on them. plus the ksc-35's hurt my ears when i used to use them, but they are good, no doubt. these days i use an old pair of e888's or if i feel like having a big pair around my neck, my hd-570's which i got at a bargain and am very happy with for over a year now.