PDA

View Full Version : Will Apple Ditch the iPod?

MacBytes
Dec 20, 2006, 02:13 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Will Apple Ditch the iPod? (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20061220151352)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

MacBoobsPro
Dec 20, 2006, 02:15 PM
Of course they will drop the iPod. They will then start selling Water Melon by the roadside. :rolleyes:

digitalrampage
Dec 20, 2006, 02:59 PM
The title may as well have been Zune to destroy iPod.

Damn sensationalist media and their catchy headers to make me read.. Shame on you! :p

OdduWon
Dec 20, 2006, 03:14 PM
LOL BROWN :p
"Bob Cringely: I know, I know. But my joke is a little different, because for years Bill Gates wore brown suits. And you know, you look at Bill Gates in a brown suit and you would say, "Well, at least it is a suit, but it is a brown suit." And so now you look at Zune and you say, "Well, you know, OK. Let's wait for Zune 3.0, which we might buy." Because it takes Microsoft three times to get anything done right.
Mac Greer: (Laughing.) And maybe the brown; maybe they are going for that whole UPS, you can trust us, we'll deliver.
Bob Cringely: Yeah, but at UPS, at least they wash the trucks every day."

Yeah, it delivers, ;) let me Squirt you something :eek:

SPUY767
Dec 20, 2006, 06:25 PM
The title may as well have been Zune to destroy iPod.

Damn sensationalist media and their catchy headers to make me read.. Shame on you! :p

Cringley delivers a very good point, and not once did he give the zune any props. Cringley is a very balanced and intelligent journalist. I think you just missed the boat.

imacintel
Dec 20, 2006, 06:30 PM
No. Apple wouldn't discontinue something that has over 80% of the MP3 player marketshare. It would be idiotic.

Dec 20, 2006, 06:33 PM
Of course they will drop the iPod. They will then start selling Water Melon by the roadside. :rolleyes:

HA.. water melons.. Tasty water melons... okay... right.. No Ipod? Popularity with apple would drop

apachie2k
Dec 20, 2006, 06:40 PM
No. Apple wouldn't discontinue something that has over 80% of the MP3 player marketshare. It would be idiotic.

it would be bad business...haha

The Toon Master
Dec 20, 2006, 07:44 PM
of course apple will ditch the iPod, in 30 or so years when you can beam content right into your brain..

Well, they obviously will ,but not until the brand starts to die..

Max Payne
Dec 20, 2006, 07:47 PM
Will Microsoft ditch Windows? :think:

macFanDave
Dec 20, 2006, 07:53 PM
to see that the prediction has a great, big "but."

It said that if someone would pay Apple enough to make iPods (yeah, you read that right), Apple could get out of the business.

Worked great for Macs, huh?

This is like a headline that says, "Bush to resign Presidency?" and the story follows that he would if he took over as dictator-for-life. January 20, 2009 can't get here fast enough, as far as I'm concerned.

Chaszmyr
Dec 20, 2006, 07:55 PM
So long as Apple is making a profit on iPods, I'm not sure I see them abandoning the iPod in favor of licensing intellectual property instead - even if the latter is more profitable.

SkyBell
Dec 20, 2006, 08:23 PM
Hell No. Plain and simple.

840quadra
Dec 20, 2006, 09:22 PM
I actually read the article.

There are some good points, however both the journalist and the former apple employee missed a big trend with apple.

Apple is not ignoring the X Box moving into the homes of millions of users, and they are also not distracted by the iPod. Apple has prematurely unveiled part of their home TV / Video system that will integrate iTunes, and Apple computers into the entertainment hub of someone's house.

That is the subject that this article is indirectly targeting, however the two in the discussion are missing Apple's big picture (IMHO).

jamesi
Dec 20, 2006, 09:27 PM
yes, tis the season for stupid notions.

the answer is a duh yes when apple stops making money of off the ipod then they will stop making them

in the article, he mentioned that someday you will be able to buy an ipod from anyone. this makes so little sense im surprised this man is able to figure out breathing

Quboid
Dec 20, 2006, 09:30 PM
Apple would never drop the iPod, it has been (coupled with itunes) their main source of revenue (if i'm correct). The iPod is still the worlds most popular and seamless music device and it'll only get better. C'mon guys, would apple really give that up.

Getting tasty watermellons with every buy is an idea though:D

zap2
Dec 20, 2006, 09:35 PM
Apple would never drop the iPod, it has been (coupled with itunes) their main source of revenue (if i'm correct). The iPod is still the worlds most popular and seamless music device and it'll only get better. C'mon guys, would apple really give that up.

Getting tasty watermellons with every buy is an idea though:D

I think that Mac either still make more of there money then iPods(if not then until recently Mac were bring in more $$ then iPods but they are close)

The thing is iPod are SO much cheaper then Mac...it takes a few iPods to equal the cheapest Mac.

Annndy!
Dec 20, 2006, 10:02 PM
I actually laughed out loud when I read the title of this topic. Thanks for that.

lord patton
Dec 20, 2006, 10:49 PM
I was skeptical when I read the threads title, but having actually read the article I see the man was actually making a reasonable (though not accurate) forecast.

Certainly, if Apple could make more money via licensing, then there would be a possibility of them doing so.

But even if it this could net them more profit, they wouldn't do it. Thinking in terms of growth, future earnings potential, and the strength of their brand, Apple would have to conclude that they could no longer grow the platform, or guide it's function to complement the rest of their (integrated) offerings, before they would abandon the iPod to licensing.

Of course, the iPod is central to Apple's plans to grab the consumers dollars and allegiance, so they're going to keep making 'em, and keep making 'em better.

So, yes, the dude proposing this scenario is likely wrong. But don't flame him. He qualified his statement and put out and interesting idea. Or didn't you read the interview?

c-Row
Dec 21, 2006, 02:03 AM
HA.. water melons.. Tasty water melons... okay... right.. No Ipod? Popularity with apple would drop

The iMelon maybe? :p

840quadra
Dec 21, 2006, 05:16 PM
I was skeptical when I read the threads title, but having actually read the article I see the man was actually making a reasonable (though not accurate) forecast.

If you read into it further, the topic with relation to the iPod was claiming that Apple is asleep defending the iPod while Microsoft is creeping into the home entertainment segment with the Xbox line, and that this is being ignored by Apple.

The interviewer, and interviewee are both wrong, as Apple has already unveiled part of their home entertainment initiative with the preview of some of the features within the iTV prototype.

Apple isn't ignoring the Xbox, they simply are approaching the issue from a unique angle!

Digitalclips
Dec 21, 2006, 05:54 PM
Will Microsoft ditch Windows? :think:

No but the rest of the World will :)

shamino
Dec 22, 2006, 11:45 AM
of course apple will ditch the iPod, in 30 or so years when you can beam content right into your brain.
I'll say what I always say when people propose things like this: Let's see how it scrambles your molecules first.

But I'm sure the RIAA would love it. Music sent straight into the brain. The ultimate DRM. Nobody else can even listen to it without buying their own license (unless you also want a line-out jack in your head for attaching speakers :eek: )
Apple is not ignoring the X Box moving into the homes of millions of users, and they are also not distracted by the iPod. Apple has prematurely unveiled part of their home TV / Video system that will integrate iTunes, and Apple computers into the entertainment hub of someone's house.
Apple is definitely moving to the home theater/entertainment areana. But I can't see them actually developing a game console. Go up against Microsoft, and Sony AND Nintendo? That's a sure-fire way to lose money. (Especially given that the Xbox has never been profitable, and the PS3 probably won't be profitable for several years.)

Now, a box that is a value-added TiVo-like device (video recording, streaming access to all the iTunes/iPhoto/iWeb databases on your home LAN, maybe some WebTV-like features, etc.) sounds like something Apple would do, and could be profitable doing. And the iTV sounds like the first step in that direction.

840quadra
Dec 22, 2006, 12:59 PM
Apple is definitely moving to the home theater/entertainment areana. But I can't see them actually developing a game console. Go up against Microsoft, and Sony AND Nintendo? That's a sure-fire way to lose money. (Especially given that the Xbox has never been profitable, and the PS3 probably won't be profitable for several years.)

Now, a box that is a value-added TiVo-like device (video recording, streaming access to all the iTunes/iPhoto/iWeb databases on your home LAN, maybe some WebTV-like features, etc.) sounds like something Apple would do, and could be profitable doing. And the iTV sounds like the first step in that direction.

I am with you 100%.

I didn't mean to make it sound like I was hoping / thinking that Apple was going into gaming. I was strictly talking about home entertainment, with the exact same layout you are discussing.