Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skd

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 27, 2006
carmel, ca
For boot camp which windows software should I get.
XP media, XP home, XP pro. This will be used by a college student who is an economics major.

Kane.Elson

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2006
I would suggest pro.
Home is basically pro with reduced network functionality. It may not sound like much if you don't plan on using the networking functionality much but when you do you will notice the small differences annoying.
I think pro is very much worth it and home should never have been created. It's just a pointless having home, it's so similar to pro yet so different.

Fleetwood Mac

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2006
Canada
You should consider reading this article, or others you might find on Google to help make your decision easier. I copied the part about networking for you.
http://agamemnon.ucs.ed.ac.uk/faq/homevspro.html
Networking. The networking in Windows XP Home is not designed for use in any networking environment beyond the home or a small office; Microsoft themselves recommend that it should not be used in a network of more than around five machines (see this explanation)
Currently our network is based on Novell Netware. Novell do not support their client software on Windows XP Home, based on Microsoft's position - it is not designed for use in corporate or enterprise networks and so therefore they are not doing any work on their client on XP Home.

In the future we may move to Microsoft domain/Active Directory based networking, and as mentioned earlier Windows XP Home cannot be used in that environment either.

Windows XP Home cannot be supported in the current networking environment, and cannot be used in possible future environments.

The above is the major reason why we cannot support or recommend Windows XP Home in the University environment. Below are additional reasons why Windows XP Professional would be preferred anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.