PDA

View Full Version : College Help

Stridder44
Dec 21, 2006, 03:47 AM
I'm not that experienced in this and I need help because as it stands right now I'm really starting to worry and feel depressed about my situation. I've been going through a local J.C. College to transfer over to a 4 year, but things havn't been going as good as planned. :(

I havn't been able to keep as focused on classes as I should be. While I am taking roughly 13 units a semester (for about 2 years), I find myself not getting through many of them. I have completed various classes but not nearly as many as I should have done by now. I'm terrible with taking tests, which makes me feel like it's not even worth bothering with sometimes. It scares me to think of my friends that are getting farther along while Im struggling behind. :(

GnarleyMarley
Dec 21, 2006, 04:02 AM
ummmm... The only advice I can give is to figure out what you really want to do. Set a goal for what you want to do after college or even for the short term. As you said, you want to get to the 4 year uni. There you go. You may want to consider taking a few less classes every semester. Maybe just 3 or so. That way you can focus on those and put in the neccesary work to achieve your goals. Also, don't worry how good your friends are doing. You just need to worry about yourself. Everyone is different when it comes to education. As long as you try your best you shouldn't have any worries.

Irish Dave
Dec 21, 2006, 04:07 AM
ummmm... The only advice I can give is to figure out what you really want to do. Set a goal for what you want to do after college or even for the short term. As you said, you want to get to the 4 year uni. There you go. You may want to consider taking a few less classes every semester. Maybe just 3 or so. That way you can focus on those and put in the neccesary work to get to achieve your goals. Also, don't worry how good your friends are doing. You just need to worry about yourself. Everyone is different when it comes to education. As long as you try your best you shouldn't have any worries.

I totally agree. Don't overstretch yourself.

We are all different.

Greets from Ireland

Dave :)

iSaint
Dec 21, 2006, 04:19 AM
I had a horrible first college experience. There are two things I attribute that to: 1) not being interested in my classes, and 2) having too much downtime. I finally got a job when I was about twenty, so that brought in some money. But, I still didn't like school that much. That was over twenty years ago. Only recently did I realize (on my own and through therapy) that I was depressed during most of my life. That adds another element to my experience.

See if there are counselors you can talk to on your campus. I don't mean to say you're depressed as well, but it's healthy to talk about what's going on. They can also give you some tests to see what your interests are. They can also help you determine how to prepare for test-taking. Maybe you don't like the courses you are in because they don't interest you. I always wanted to be a teacher. But, I only recently completed a masters required to get certification to become a teacher. I'm happier than ever.

To me, it's a matter of finding what makes you happy, and chasing after that. Don't pressure yourself on schoolwork. Everyone works at a different pace. I came close to joining the Coast Guard when I was twenty. It probably would have helped me grow up a little. I sometimes wish I had so I could have seen the world a little more when I was young. I encourage many of my students to travel while they are young. Maybe you could take some time off from school and work awhile. Anyway, try not to dwell on it. Find someone who can help you improve yourself and feel better about your situation. Good luck and keep us updated! :)

jcarm24
Dec 21, 2006, 07:25 AM
Keep at it. Talk to the professors throughout the year, not just when you are having trouble in the class. If you're stuggling in a class, meet the the professor once a week to go over what you don't understand.

I was a terrible test taker too, but that was partly an excuse. I did bad on tests so I told myself it wasn't even worth studying. But my last semester in college I realized that if I wanted to graduate, I couldn't let that be an excuse any more. I stopped cramming and starting actually taking 1 or 2 hours a night to look over my notes. It pays off.

And don't look so far ahead. Concentrate on the week ahead of you, and take it slow. You're a smart person (I know that b/c you're in a MR forum :D ).

Don't give up.....I hope you keep at it.

devilot
Dec 21, 2006, 09:57 AM
I feel compelled to respond even though I'm not much further than you (in a strictly linear "accommplishment" type way). Right outta high school, I went to Cal (UC Berkeley) and just hated my experience there and left the week before spring finals of my first year. Since then, I've been putzing around first at one CC, and now I'm at a different one.

I did a similar thing you did at the 1st CC, I took roughly 4 classes a term and by the time the semester ended, I'd only still be enrolled in one or two. Silly 'cause I could have gotten As easily in all of them-- but I really had no motivation, which I'm willing to bet, is more your issue than test-taking. ;)

Ended up going to a totally different CC (and I love the staff and students much more here) and as a way to shake things up, decided to do something "silly." Took three studio art classes (which many folks in-the-know would say is a terrible load of work) and one academic course. I haven't been this excited, exhausted, and exhilarated about school in years. For once, I feel like I've truly earned my As (instead of just breezing by w/out a care and getting them).

So just this semester, I've decided that I'm not going to get the degree that my parents would have me get (business, or pursue real estate, etc.), I really have found a subject I'd love to study, and possibly develop into a career. I'm gonna put together a portfolio and hopefully apply and be accepted into a great art program next year.

It scares me to think of my friends that are getting farther along while Im struggling behind. :( I definitely am familiar with that sentiment because it's been 4 years since I graduated high school. Most of my peer group have graduated and found jobs, or are about to graduate. It's hard because I was part of the top percentage of my class. And it is frustrating to think, that could be me... you just have to force yourself to let go of the peer comparison, if only for a litte at a time. Seriously. I still feel sick to my stomach at times when I think about how "behind" I am. But then I force myself to realize that this time hasn't been spent for nothing... I've learned things (more from outside of formal education than in) and experienced things. I've grown as a person and I've finally figured out what I wish to study. I now have a direction and a clear goal.

Try to stop worrying about where other people are-- it's time to think about where you are, and where you'd like to be.

shecky
Dec 21, 2006, 10:07 AM
i did not get my undergraduate degree until i was 34, even though i went to college right from high school at 18; it turns out i was just not ready for it. i am a very smart guy but back then i was a very smart foolish guy who really needed more "life" experience before "school" experience. i ended up with one semester of 0.0 GPA (i went to no classes) and then it was time to leave (after 3 years of doing mediocre in my classes at an expensive private school in a top architecture program.)

after i turned 30 i decided it was time to go back and i did so on a huge scholarship to one of the top schools for graphic design on the planet. i graduated with a very high GPA and i had an exceptional experience and made friends with all the faculty who now are a fantastic network. i am now planning on going back to school this fall for my MFA.

point being that if you are struggling at a junior college at a young age then maybe you are not ready for school right now. do something else and come back to it when you can get a lot out of it.

xsedrinam
Dec 21, 2006, 10:30 AM
Lots of good insight already posted to you, Stridder44. As a dad with two students at uni (Sophomore and Junior) going through similar times of reflection, the only thing I'd underscore is get in touch with your passion, and go from there.

Some do well with the academics game (i.e. testing, memorization and regurgitation) and some do not do as well. I think the self comparison thing can be more harmful and a waste of your time and emotion rather than keying off what you really want to do with your life. The fact that you're enrolled means you've submitted yourself to the required disciplines of a particular course and each person must deal with those requirements and differing prof styles.

During the break, back off and take a deep breath, and recharge your batteries by refining what is your purpose and passion behind it all. What do you do well? Go with that. Good luck.

Stridder44
Dec 21, 2006, 02:33 PM
Wow guys, I mean I knew I wasn't the only one out there with this problem but your stories have really helped a lot more than you think. :) If I could take only classes Im interested in, then I could easily be an A student. But G.E.'s are the poison in the apple for me.

As far as depression goes, that could be the case too perhaps. One thing I've always wanted to try is acting (film acting), and for a while now I've been tossing around this idea of heading to L.A./Hollywood and giving it a go (while continuing with school).