Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
Here is a pic from Looprumors.com that shows a supposed ad for the phone. It is consistent with the latest rumors about it, so you'll never know I guess.

If it really is the new phone I am kind of disappointed with the design. Just nothing innovative. Not sure if I would get that. Would depend on what it does I think (integration of iCal, address book, etc.)

Link to pic on looprumors.com

Attachments

• iphoneimagemobileme.jpg
    iphoneimagemobileme.jpg
    222.9 KB · Views: 623

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
That looks more promising than any others I have seen. That pad looks like a notebook touch pad which is quite a good idea actually instead of a click wheel like everyone was thinking.

I guess the 'none touch interface' would work here by hovering your thumb over the pad to move the cursor around then touch the pad to select?

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Just nothing innovative.

There is a lack of buttons and what seems like a trackpad. Pretty innovative for a phone. I think it is a case of us all seeing really cool ideas which bear no resemblance to reality that will make the pPod look underwhelming. Although I hope I am wrong.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
It looks like an exceptionally well-made fake. I might well think it was real, except I think it looks like a ridiculous design for a phone. I cant even imagine how you would use that touch pad to control the device.

It is lended some added realism by the phone number in the picture being Apple's phone number.

However, the phone indicates that the song playing is 3:50 long, whereas that song is actually 5:30.

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
If it really is the new phone I am kind of disappointed with the design. Just nothing innovative. Not sure if I would get that. Would depend on what it does I think (integration of iCal, address book, etc.)
So you normally buy things for their looks - and if they happen to be useful that's a bonus?

Tayler

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2006
If its a fake - it is made very well, because:

- Looks like its the packaging (seems like mac mini packaging but smaller)
- UI looks reasoned implicating dialer pad and text message.

Im look forward to buy one, although the announced (rumour-) prizes are *very* expensive. What about the guys who dont need that mp3 functionality.... like me.

Voidness

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2005
Null
I find it hard to believe that this is the "iPhone", especially that it says iPhone. Apple can't use this name anymore, as we all know.

The interface doesn't make sense. What advantage does the touch pad have over a normal button layout or a touch screen? Look at the compose screen for example, how are you supposed to type? Scrolling through the letters would be awkward using the touch pad (The scroll wheel on the iPod makes sense when you scroll through the letters in search mode.)

I guess this is minimalist design gone bad...

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
How the f*** do you use the damn thing? There's no tactile feedback for the buttons so how do you send a text message? Do you move a cursor on a screen and then tap to select or have they figured something else out?

I say make it look like that but add a proper keypad and a small clickwheel because I simply can't figure out how the hell that would work.

Can somebody enlighten me because I've got no bloody idea.

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
:eek: Yuck:eek:

It`s 101% fake. Everybody knows Apple`s wont be called iPhone any more. And if they are serious bout a trackpad on this phone, Why cant I see a cursor on the screen? I m sure it took someone not more than 5 min to photoshop a nano and create this iPhone. Or may be this didnt even need PhotoShop. Just MS Paint.

Yeah, that's one of the things that threw me off. iPhone is already taken.

Anyway, I agree about the design, one of the worse designs I have seen lately.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
75% of the world buys a phone because of the looks. I mean, why in the world would they come out with more and more phones each year? Certainly my other phone works fine, but I always want the sleeker nicer phone.

I call BS on the ad all due to the iPhone name.

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
75% of the world buys a phone because of the looks. I mean, why in the world would they come out with more and more phones each year? Certainly my other phone works fine, but I always want the sleeker nicer phone.
75%. That isn't pulled out of thin air, is it.

They come out with more and more phones because phones break and people have to replace them.

Maybe teenagers with 'rich' parents get kicks from changing the colour of their phones. But the function of making phonecalls doesn't change as far as I know. More to the point, if you can pick up phones for a song now (or free, even) why pay more for aesthetics? I just don't get it. I don't want to labour the point, but has society really got to the point where people dump perfectly good products (with all the associated costs to the environment) just because something newer comes out?

Sorry, ranting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.