PDA

View Full Version : Who else thinks the new iPod headphones are uncomftable?

odedia
Dec 21, 2006, 08:26 AM
I am really not enjoying them. I mean, sure they sound great, but they're too small! They keep falling from my ears. No way to watch a video or listening to music on the iPod while in bed - they keep falling.

I tried the previous iPod headphones that my girlfriend has, and they are the perfect size.

So what's your experience? Do you find the new headphones comfortable or annoying?

Oded S.

Sherman Homan
Dec 21, 2006, 08:49 AM
I can't stand any of the ear bud style head phones. I find them to be very irritating (maybe ear-itating!:D ) I use a Logitech wrap around.

apachie2k
Dec 21, 2006, 08:52 AM
I can't stand any of the ear bud style head phones. I find them to be very irritating (maybe ear-itating!:D ) I use a Logitech wrap around.

same i do not like ear bud style, wrap around is MUCH better... i figure it would cost apple to much $$$, thats prob. why they changed the headphones, to SAVE money

Markleshark
Dec 21, 2006, 09:07 AM
They sell the new style ones on their own in HMV for 20.

I couldn't believe it, 20 notes like.:eek:

CEAbiscuit
Dec 21, 2006, 09:36 AM
The headphones suck. Have to jam them in your ear to get decent sound as well. THe old one's were beeter, in my opinion.

No biggie, though. They are the equivalent of the free (or $2) headphones you get on a plane either way.

iMeowbot
Dec 21, 2006, 09:38 AM
They're fine with me. The old ones were just a little too big and hurt.

Veldek
Dec 21, 2006, 09:47 AM
They're fine with me. The old ones were just a little too big and hurt.Second this, I find the new ones much more comfortable than the old ones.

skybolt
Dec 21, 2006, 09:54 AM
I agree -- the new ones are great! I even stopped using some very expensive ones in favor of the new ones! Very light and comfortable -- hardly know they are there. Only complaint (pitting against the expensive ones) is that the expensive ones have a little clip that you can clip to your clothing so that movement does not pull the phones from your ears. Wish these new Apple ones had something similar. Maybe after the holidays I'll do a little searching for a clip!

redeye be
Dec 21, 2006, 12:00 PM
Maybe after the holidays I'll do a little searching for a clip!
How about this?
http://www.odeaandetechniek.nl/2004/images/Odes/paperclip2/paperclip2.jpg;)

Can't add to the discussion, haven't had the chance to try the new ones. I did hate the original ones.

SkyBell
Dec 21, 2006, 12:06 PM
I HATE those new ones. I like the old ones much better. (Problem is, my right earbud is going out. Anyone got some cheap oldies for sale?:D )

skybolt
Dec 21, 2006, 01:38 PM
Cute, redeye be! Really cute! :D

TheAnswer
Dec 21, 2006, 01:40 PM
The new ones seem to hold in my ears better, but I realize everyone's ears are shaped differently.

Sesshi
Dec 21, 2006, 02:01 PM
It's difficult isn't it? I'm the same 'inbetween' bowl-of-ear size as the original poster. The original iPod earphones put slightly more pressure on the bowl of my ear when it's fitted properly than I'd like, i.e. my ears are slightly too small for the original buds. But the new ones fall out of my ear too easily.

I've found the 'jam in ear' earphones like the Sennheiser CX300 much more forgiving of slight variations in ear bowl size, because they attach into the ear canals.

I disagree that the iPod phones are the equivalent of most freebies. If they fit you I think they're the best sounding out of the pack-ins, superior even to some of the lower-model Sennheiser MX phones - but the fit is key :(

jpfisher
Dec 21, 2006, 02:11 PM
I HATE those new ones. I like the old ones much better. (Problem is, my right earbud is going out. Anyone got some cheap oldies for sale? )

Going out as in not working? I had the same problem with my left earbud -- took it to the Genius bar and they gave me a new set, no questions asked.

You might even be able to get the guys there to give you a set of the old buds as a replacement; it can't hurt to ask.

Blackhawk2006
Dec 22, 2006, 05:11 PM
i havent got those new ipod headphones but i dont use in ear headphones because they tend to hurt my ear after like 10 mins ... must be just my ear in the wrong place at the wrong time .... sony headphones are quite good

SkyBell
Dec 22, 2006, 06:40 PM
Honestly, I love those $0.99 earbuds they sell at Wal-Mart. They break real easily, but I was suprprised by thier sound quality. Not as good as iPod earbud quality, but for $0.99, they're worth more then they're priced.

GyroFX
Dec 22, 2006, 08:38 PM
no one can be satisfied with a one size fits all ear bud types...if you want comfort and maxium sound quality, better look into spending at least a couple hundred on custom molded shures or whatever else that's high end.

buffalo
Dec 22, 2006, 11:02 PM
Neither pair fits well, my ears are just too dang small. I have yet to find a pair of earbuds that works well. I guess my ears were just meant for over-the-head headphones.

odedia
Feb 11, 2007, 02:13 AM
Well, I just traded my "new" ipod earbuds with a friend's "old" ipod earbuds. They are great.

GoCubsGo
Feb 11, 2007, 02:19 AM
I HATE those new ones. I like the old ones much better. (Problem is, my right earbud is going out. Anyone got some cheap oldies for sale?:D )

Do you have your new ones unused? If so, I think I have a brand new pair of old ones lying around. PM me if your new model ones aren't used.

SactoGuy18
Feb 11, 2007, 09:01 AM
This is why I don't use Apple's own headphones and use a more decent headphone instead. :) I like the inexpensive Philips HE592, which has excellent bass response and don't need high volume settings to get decent sound quality.

MacAnkka
Feb 11, 2007, 09:25 AM
I have only tried the new apple earbuds. They are a lot better sounding than other bundle earbuds, but that really isn't saying much. the sound quality of my Sennheiser cx-300s is much better and I find them a lot more comfy, too. The iPod earbuds don't stay in my ear well and they make my right ear hurt, while the Sennheisers fit perfectly in my ears with the medium-sized tips.

gauchogolfer
Feb 11, 2007, 09:36 AM
I like the new ones more than the old, but neither are that great when moving around a lot. I prefer the in-the-ear style in that situation.

Also, I have to admit that I laughed out loud when I saw how the OP spelled 'uncomfortable' in the thread title. Thanks.
:D

ppnkg
Feb 11, 2007, 10:21 AM
I think they're too small. They keep falling off my ears. This is very annoying, especially when I'm walking or running. My girlfriend has no problems though. I think apple redesigned them to be more comfortable to the female ear...

joepunk
Feb 11, 2007, 11:52 AM
Apple earbuds are way better than any freebie from airlines. Heck I was surprised last year when I flew to London and found that I did not have to pay for those freebies. Brings back memories of those huge grey ugly things that one paid for and could not take with you after a flight.

iBrandi
Feb 12, 2007, 03:45 AM
I never tried the old ones but after a while the new earbuds start to make my ears sore. They also fall out a lot. I like the in-ear headphones a lot better. :apple:

Ashapalan
Feb 12, 2007, 04:22 AM
For those of us who listen to music in bed, the new ones edge out on the comfort.

The old ones have that bar that sticks out, try lying sideways on a bed, that's the definition of uncomfortable right there.

The new ones have a much more sleek design allowing you to lie sideways without discomfort/ earbud being pushed into your brain.

Therefore i vote in favour of the new ones. If any of you have both, try the bed test ;)

emotion
Feb 12, 2007, 04:25 AM
Just get some CX300s and be done with it.