PDA

View Full Version : I hate the new iPods! and why, who agrees?

Grokgod
May 5, 2003, 09:11 PM
I decided to buy the new iPod when it came out despite the fact that the new
design was very much UGLY!

I assumed that I must be wrong and that APPLE new what they were doing and that true usage would tell the real tale!~

WELL HELL , here is my tale!

I dont like them.

Here is why.

New buttons, lord they are just horrible.
The slightest touch sends it into a chaotic dance of confusion.

They are TOO close together.
If you reach into your pocket to FF
as I used to in the older version.
I knew immediately where the FF arrow was. Now its next to pause where the slightest breeze sets it off!

Of course there are those that will say , use the remote!
sure , whatever....

Is the screen dimmer, looks dimmer to me! When a song title scrolls it dims out strangely??

I have to use the HOLD button now or else! Never had to give hold the least of thought. It was never needed.

Now HOLD is very important if i actually want to enjoy a song without fixating on the POD controls.

Is this thing even more scratchable?
After mere hours of owning it,
the screen is whacked!
From what, I have NO idea.
My pockets are clean and I was treating it better than my own life!

All in all, i find the total experience far below the first iPods.

Of course, I liked the size which is smaller.
BUT not with less battery power!
The extra 3 hours or more that I had on my first suddenly looks crucial, to enjoying this unit to its fullest.

I am hoping that after I sell this unit.

Apple will come to their senses and fix all these problems!
What do you other Pod owners think?

applemacdude
May 5, 2003, 10:18 PM
i actually like the new ipod!

lmalave
May 5, 2003, 10:34 PM
Yeah, I noticed the buttons are hypersensitive. This is my first iPod, but I can see what you're saying about just being able to find and press the buttons while the iPod is still in your pocket. That would be more convenient than using the remote (which is just too much darn cable when I'm just trying to listen to music during my workout), or doing what I do now, which is: remove iPod from pocket, remove hold, press forward skip button.

In terms of battery life, I have found Apple's 8 hour estimate to be conservative. I definitely played it for more than 8 hours today. On a single charge I played it: on my way to work, most of the day at work, on my way back from work, all during my workout. It was at least 9 or 10 hours. I think Apple decided to err on the side of caution this time, since they have been accused of exaggerated battery times with their iPods, iBooks, PowerBooks.

Rai
May 5, 2003, 10:44 PM
Well this is my first ipod, and i thing it is Amazing, not only amazing easy to use, but also beautiful.

But i never used the original to compare against

TonicAngel
May 5, 2003, 10:57 PM
I love the new iPods. At first I thought they were ugly, but after looking at them for a while I love them now. I think the touchbuttons are easier to hit (when hold button is off) when you are carrying it around, but all in all I think the touch buttons are easier to use. (In my opinion anyways.)

GeeYouEye
May 6, 2003, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by Grokgod
design was very much UGLY!

I assumed that I must be wrong and that APPLE new what they were doing and that true usage would tell the real tale!~

WELL HELL , here is my tale!

I dont like them.

Here is why.

New buttons, lord they are just horrible.
The slightest touch sends it into a chaotic dance of confusion.

They are TOO close together.
If you reach into your pocket to FF
as I used to in the older version.
I knew immediately where the FF arrow was. Now its next to pause where the slightest breeze sets it off!

Of course there are those that will say , use the remote!
sure , whatever....

Is the screen dimmer, looks dimmer to me! When a song title scrolls it dims out strangely??

I have to use the HOLD button now or else! Never had to give hold the least of thought. It was never needed.

Now HOLD is very important if i actually want to enjoy a song without fixating on the POD controls.

Is this thing even more scratchable?
the screen is whacked!
My pockets are clean and I was treating it better than my own life!

All in all, i find the total experience far below the first iPods.

Of course, I liked the size which is smaller.
The extra 3 hours or more that I had on my first suddenly looks crucial, to enjoying this unit to its fullest.

I am hoping that after I sell this unit.

Apple will come to their senses and fix all these problems!

If you don't want yours, I'll be happy to take it off your hands for you. I'll even do it for free. ;)

thekaiser
May 6, 2003, 12:10 AM
I just bought the 15GB. No complaints here. It is my first iPod so I have no basis for comparison. However, I think it is awesome. Plus, I just use the hold button. I am not one to switch songs a lot anyway. When I am listening I am usually doing something. I just let it play. When I do switch songs it is not as big of a deal as some of you make it out to be. Maybe I just have a different opinion of how the iPod should work. All in all it is great. I am sure you can always find an old one if you don't like it. Plus, it is still far ahead of any other companies devices in my humble opinion. Just my 2 cents.

beatle888
May 6, 2003, 12:24 AM
why did you buy it if you didnt like it. jeeesh.:p sell it and get an older one. its only an mp3 player.

janey
May 6, 2003, 12:54 AM
i hated the iPod to the point where i sold the 30gb and decided not to sell my old 10gb on eBay.
grokgod is right, it is difficult to use.

Grokgod
May 6, 2003, 01:43 AM
Gee- GEEYOUEYE~
Thanks for reposting my entire post merely to state the usual...
If you don't like it give it to me for nothing,,yawn,,,:)

Ubergeek~ I think that we agree on the subject of the design NOT being useable.

I also sold my iPOD < no i didnt give it away for free because I didnt like it!>

I went back to my original 5 giger.
Christ if it wasnt a joy to look at and use again. After a few hours of use, the differences tween the two models
IS NIGHT AND DAY!

THe original is truly a marvel and an innovation of design that APPLE should have had the intelligence to allow continue to later models.

I am a designer and am REALLY curious as to why they would make what I consider
< after careful use of both models >
an incredibly stupid choice in design.

The new models in comparison are the example of what should have been rejected! If its not broken dont fix it!

This is the model that the janitor created while he was fixing the boiler!

Truly a pathetic moment in APPLE history. Which I wish I could GROK in
fullness.

To address those that say, relax its only an MP3 player, i would reply.
YES , it is only a player...
and this is only a BB where I am posting that i feel that an innovative design has been destroyed!

There are so few times when truly inspirational design comes into our lives and influences the way we live.

For me the iPod was one of those times.
Its loss has made me ask why?

chewbaccapits
May 6, 2003, 02:30 AM

...Truly a pathetic moment in APPLE history. Which I wish I could GROK in
fullness.

Really?...Even worst then the first crappy handwritting recognition feature, found in the PDAs? That's a bold statement.

Grokgod
May 6, 2003, 02:39 AM
I said it was a pathetic moment.

Not the MOST pathetic! :P

JPGR_Fan
May 6, 2003, 05:41 AM

A few days at most for the new one, a few years for the original?

I'm still in an ecstatic mode with my first iPod and find your postings painful, but I'll remember what you have stated as I gain experience.

I will say that the earphones are not comfortable/useable for me.

mmmdreg
May 6, 2003, 06:13 AM
I am a designer and am REALLY curious as to why they would make what I consider
an incredibly stupid choice in design.

The new models in comparison are the example of what should have been rejected! If its not broken dont fix it!

That is an incredibly stupid thing to say IMHO. The original iMac's design was never "broken" yet they came out with the new ones. If designers followed your lines, the iMac wouldn't have even been invented. However, on the topic of the iPod, it is clearly a subjective issue, although the majority seems to be in favour of them, as I seem to be. Anyhow, humans are an adaptable species. Anyone can adapt to an extent. If you don't like the new iPods because they aren't the old ones, then you are being overly conservative. However, I applaud your decision to buy one without testing it (seemingly). So, it's just oo bad you and her didn't "click". Anyhow, I hope your little 5giger serves you well. But ultimately, if you want more, you're going to have to go new iPod (again) or a different brand.

An alternative is the sonicblues' rio pearl which is 40gigs and smaller than the iPod by a considerable margin. http://funmac.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=11233

Marc the Mac
May 6, 2003, 07:02 AM
So, some feel that the new iPod does not look as good as the previous version.
I would agree, however.. isn't the reason that the buttons are now positioned the way they are because all front controls are touch-controls?

With those thinner buttons mounted around the scroll disc I doubt they could have been updatd to touch sensitive and still worked well.

MorganX
May 6, 2003, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by mmmdreg
But ultimately, if you want more, you're going to have to go new iPod (again) or a different brand.
[/IMG]

If iTunes worked with the rio the way it does with the iPod I'd probably buy it. What I would really like is to buy a brand new 10g of the old iPod design, can't find one anywhere.

Edit: Maybe there will be an iPod classic. I think I'll try and hold out for an aluminum back also. I watched a demo video on ZDnet and the iPod the Apple rep was displaying for the camera was filthy with fingerprints. I thought that was pretty embarrassing.

Anne
May 6, 2003, 08:19 AM
I just got my baby yesterday, and I thought I'd write from the perspective of someone who never had an ipod before this.

ugliness - guess a matter of personal opinion. I kind of like this design. My initial concern when I saw it was that it would be harder for my small hand to reach all the buttons. Not even close to reality - I have no trouble with it at all.

buttons - hmm, I noticed no "chaotic dance of confusion". Perhaps you need to call Applecare? I found the buttons a delight to use. Just brush my finger over the one I wanted, and it worked perfectly. Maybe I just have better hand eye coordination than most, but I didn't have a problem of hitting buttons I didn't want to hit. (Though I'm still getting used to when I need to hit the menu button and when I need to hit the select button. But I pretty much got the hang of it already.) "slightest breeze sets it off"? I guess you mean that figuratively. I purposely tried to set off the buttons with the protective cloth I had it set on, and they didn't respond. They do seem to only respond to skin contact. I haven't tried blowing on them yet, though. ;) And I was happy to use the remote, personally. I just stuffed all of the cord in my jacket pocket and had a nice little set of buttons to press. Annoying that the cord's so long, but I got over it.

"Is the screen dimmer, looks dimmer to me! When a song title scrolls it dims out strangely??" - again, maybe time to call Applecare?

"I have to use the HOLD button now or else! Never had to give hold the least of thought. It was never needed." - is the hold button that hard to use?

"Is this thing even more scratchable?
the screen is whacked!
My pockets are clean and I was treating it better than my own life!" Maybe try putting it in a case? Because in my wisdom, I'm sure that Apple tried their hardest to make your ipod even more scratchable than the rest, just to make you angry. :rolleyes: Mine has a few fingerprints (which I easily wiped off), but no scratches. I put it in a case when I carried it around. And put it on a little piece of cloth on when I set it down. I'm sure it will get scratches eventually, and I'm positive that they will not lessen the quality of sound, or the capacity of my ipod...

"Of course, I liked the size which is smaller.
The extra 3 hours or more that I had on my first suddenly looks crucial, to enjoying this unit to its fullest." I thought that 10-8 is 2, not 3. If you got more than 10 hours on your first ipod, what makes you think that you won't get more than 8 hours on this ipod?

If you look for things to complain about, you'll always find them. I think that that, not little scratches or sensitive buttons or anything else is what will really keep you from enjoying your music....

This is my first ipod and i couldn't be happier. It's tiny, it holds all of my music with plenty of room to spare, it comes with accessories that add more functionality, and it's darn cute to boot! And if it gets scratches, oh well. (I don't hate myself because of a few wrinkles or zits.) If I have to flick the hold button once before and once after an hour long walk, oh well. If I have to take an extra 2.5 seconds to wrap extra cord around the case, oh well. I think I'll live with that and not let it preventing me from enjoying my otherwise wonderful ipod...

szark
May 6, 2003, 11:34 AM
I'm really enjoying my new iPod, but I do understand some of the points expressed here.

As far as the buttons, I have had some minor problems with repetitive presses or accidental presses. Unfortunately, I think this is due to people's differing body chemistry -- some people have more problems with electrically-sensitive touch pads than others.

The button relocation probably also made it easier/possible to light the buttons, though the old design made it easier to find the buttons without having to see them.

Some people change songs frequently and need constant access to the controls -- they will probably be happier with the original design, unless they like using the remote. Other people, such as myself, tend to listen to long, uninterrupted playlists and do not require constant access to the controls.

It all depends on how you use it. :)

idkew
May 6, 2003, 12:07 PM
design was very much UGLY!......

i reccomend you learn the english language.

bitfactory
May 6, 2003, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by übergeek
i hated the iPod to the point where i sold the 30gb and decided not to sell my old 10gb on eBay.
grokgod is right, it is difficult to use.

i second that - i bought a 15GB last friday night... after 4 days of intense use, i pulled my 10GB model off of eBay and will sell my new 15GB instead.

i can understand why those who didn't own the first one might be impressed with the new one. i, however, am not. as a matter of fact - its a huge step backwards in human factors, ergonomics, and usability. after owning all of Apples major hardware releases for just about a decade, i can say this is the only product i've purchased that i'm not satisfied with.

don't get me wrong, its sexy-looking - but functionally, i despise when engineers try to fix something that's not broken.

oh - did i mention how much more fragile the new model feels? the fit/finish of the older model is far superior to the new one, IMO.

all in all, its still the best mp3 player made today (by a MILE), but after using the v1, its hard to go backwards.

beatle888
May 6, 2003, 12:30 PM
i got one thing to say to you people...TRY IT OUT AT THE APPLE STORE/RETAILER BEFORE YOU BUY. jeeze i cant believe how willing people are to part with their cash.

bitfactory
May 6, 2003, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by beatle888
i got one thing to say to you people...TRY IT OUT AT THE APPLE STORE/RETAILER BEFORE YOU BUY. jeeze i cant believe how willing people are to part with their cash.

i tried it out and thought i'd get used to the buttons (which i did) - a warning to other folks - you may get used to new buttons, but that doesn't mean you'll end up preferring them.

redAPPLE
May 6, 2003, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by mmmdreg

An alternative is the sonicblues' rio pearl which is 40gigs and smaller than the iPod by a considerable margin. http://funmac.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=11233

THAT THING IS UGLY!!!!!!!!!!!!

could someone please delete :D that thing...

ontopic:

i have been reading through this interesting thread (imo). i had the original 5 gb iPod. i loved it (despite the scratches). then i started losing playing time (i think, that was the software issue).

i haven't seen the new one in person yet. i, too, was disappointed that they placed those buttons there (there were rumors, remember?).

maybe the thing that i would find positive, is the slimmer case. maybe the longer battery life.

now my question to uebergeek and grokgod is...

is there really nothing positive you guys could find? is it really like saying, id rather use the Apple II than use a Windows Computer??

i plan to buy an iPod, but u guys made me think. i guess, i should say thank you, for sharing your thoughts.

gopher
May 6, 2003, 12:45 PM
To all those who complain about the new iPod's sensitivity to
button presses, the new iPod has a Hold button on top, though slightly different in its design from the original. In anycase, the hold button idea dates back from some of the first portable CD players and maybe even the first portable tape players. It prevents any button pressing from being registered. So if you are worried the button pressed might be the wrong one, put it on hold until you are actually ready to look at the iPod and work with it. Granted, it would be nice to press the right button while in your pocket, but you could just as easily press the wrong one too even with the old one. I'd rather look at what I'm doing than play guesswork.

mowgli212
May 6, 2003, 12:55 PM
Where the heck do you find this thing? I went to SonicBlue's website - no mention at all. Then I did a Google search and nothing! Where did you get the ad with that picture and where do I find this thing?

jayb2000
May 6, 2003, 01:28 PM
http://gear.ign.com/articles/382/382161p1.html?fromint=1&submit.x=78&submit.y=15

It a future model.

As far as the new iPod goes, I like the look. i wish they had done 40gb, but hopefully the AAC will reduce enough to fit all I want.
I have not used the buttons yet, but every portable I have ever used, I have had to use the HOLD button. So that won't be a worry.
As far as scratches go, any lcd screen needs soem sort of protection. I will just get a case from the start and not worry about it.

Sorry you did not have a good experience.

Foxer
May 6, 2003, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by redAPPLE
i plan to buy an iPod, but u guys made me think. i guess, i should say thank you, for sharing your thoughts.

Don't listen to the squeeky naysayers, but rather the silent (or not so silent) masses that like the new iPod as much as, or more than, the old one.

I felt the old one was badly designed: "form over function," so to speak. I was always asjustingthe volume as I went to advance tracks, etc. The buttons were just too clustered together. Not a problem on the new one. I also think the new design is sharper than the old, tired one.

In fact, my only problem with new one IS the new hold button. It's not as easy to switch as the old one. Unlike some, I always had to use the hold botton on the old model to make certain that it didn't come on in my pocket/bag and run out of battery - an occurance that plagued me since I got the little bugger.

I never thought the old models were too big, but the using the new one has made me rethink that position. Small is good, in this case.

QCassidy352
May 6, 2003, 01:43 PM
I don't like the new ipods as much because
1. they don't look as nice
2. the buttons are more annoyingly placed
3. the battery life is reduced
4. I haven't even filled my 5 gig ipod so the extra space, while not a minus, is not a plus for me either

lighter weight is nice, but the old ones were already the size of a deck of cards for goodness' sake... that suits me fine.

Taft
May 6, 2003, 02:16 PM
First, the title of this post is most definitely a shot at the grammer of the original poster. Buddy, I realize this is the Internet and standards are low, but give us some structure, eh? And a half-minute proof-reading session wouldn't hurt, either.

Second, I love the new iPod. Unlike previous posters, I find it functionally superior to its predecessor. The buttons don't bother me (not too sensitive for my fingers and their placement works for me) and I like the solid-state wheel (and the fact that when I press the middle button I don't need to worry about inadvertant scrolling). The screen quality is equivilent to iPod 1's. The form factor is better. The storage capacity is better. The new dock is great.

The one bit I will agree with you on is the new iPod's scratchability. Mine has a few minor scratches from only a few days of use and I've been extra careful about caring for it (I always use a case on-the-go). Minor annoyance and possibly just my own fault.

The other downside I see is the use of the non-standard port on the new iPod. Again, this is a minor inconvenience, but I can no longer use any of the many plain firewire cables I have around the house to charge my iPod. So I wait anxiously for my back-up special-iPod-port-enabled cable to arrive. Oh well.

Overall, the new iPod is definitely an improvement from my trusty 5gig.

Taft

redAPPLE
May 6, 2003, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by jayb2000
http://gear.ign.com/articles/382/382161p1.html?fromint=1&submit.x=78&submit.y=15

It a future model.

As far as the new iPod goes, I like the look. i wish they had done 40gb, but hopefully the AAC will reduce enough to fit all I want.
I have not used the buttons yet, but every portable I have ever used, I have had to use the HOLD button. So that won't be a worry.
As far as scratches go, any lcd screen needs soem sort of protection. I will just get a case from the start and not worry about it.

Sorry you did not have a good experience.

he he... off topic comment or observation.

is it just me, or are the aac files almost as large (file size) as the mp3 files?

i started re-ripping my cds (from 192/mbr = mp3) to 128/auto/auto = m4a.

i do not really get a dramatic size difference. it has been reported, that aac files should reduce file size.

another thing, i do not hear any dramatic "sound difference" either.

well back to the topic. unfortunately, no matter how much we love the old form factor and other "advantages". we are now stuck with this new form factor and new "advantages". i would be getting the new iPod. because it is the best thing i can get in the market (don't have to say that right?). i want to support this fruit company.

coz like that famous band sang... can't buy me love...

szark
May 6, 2003, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by redAPPLE
he he... off topic comment or observation.

is it just me, or are the aac files almost as large (file size) as the mp3 files?

i started re-ripping my cds (from 192/mbr = mp3) to 128/auto/auto = m4a.

i do not really get a dramatic size difference. it has been reported, that aac files should reduce file size.

A music file that is compressed at 128kbps will be the same size no matter what codec is used to compress it. 128kbps MP3 = 128kbps AAC, for file size.

Clarification of MPEG 4, AAC and Apple: (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24776)

Songs can be encoded at varying "bitrates". The most common bitrate for MP3 is probably "128kbps". This translates into 128 kilobits per second -- which means the format will use 128kilobits of data to encode one second of audio - no more, no less. Therefore, the final size of a file depends on both Bitrate and the Length of the Song.

But the quality of a 128kbps AAC file supposedly matches the quality of a 256kbps MP3, so you can achieve the same sound quality in a smaller file.

BillyShears
May 6, 2003, 04:22 PM
A music file that is compressed at 128kbps will be the same size no matter what codec is used to compress it. 128kbps MP3 = 128kbps AAC, for file size.

He said he wen't down from 192kbps MP3 to 128kbps AAC... so there would still be some size difference. Probably not a lot per song, but add it up over a couple thousand songs, and it should shave quite a bit off.

segastyle
May 6, 2003, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by mowgli212
Where the heck do you find this thing? I went to SonicBlue's website - no mention at all. Then I did a Google search and nothing! Where did you get the ad with that picture and where do I find this thing?

i wouldn't count on fiding it anywhere anytime soon, if ever. sonicblue went bankrupt and sold off it's rio division to another company (i can't remember off the top of my head). the company has yet to say whether it will continue to make Rio products or if it's just goign to incorporate te division into it's already existing structure.

NW80pdx
May 6, 2003, 04:54 PM
I know when I go out and buy something, espcially something like an iPod, I would take the time and concider all the features, "DEMO" it, and then decided if it was worth the investment, for those who don't like it, or find it impossible to use, why waste the money in the first place? I find the new iPod's design great, of course I tried before I buyed....

segastyle
May 6, 2003, 04:55 PM
i too don't like the new one as much. well, i DO like the thinner size (though with the 30gig you don't really get that). And i DO like the rounded edges (it feels so much nicer in the hand). but i personally can see nothing positive from a user standpoint about touch sensative buttons and scrollwheel. i hate the touch sensative scroll on the new kensington mouse also. they are just in no way as responsive as a mechanical one. also, i do think the new ipods look "cheaper" than the old ones. because the buttons and wheel are now just molded indentations, they look VERY plastic-y. i'm thinking the only reason apple is using them is to make a thinnier model and to make the product cheaper to produce.

also, as i've stated in another thread, you new have to buy a special didicated whire for your ipod. no more just using whatever firewire cord is already plugged in and available.

daytona63
May 6, 2003, 05:58 PM
I didn't own one of the old iPods, but I have a friend who does and I've used his quite extensively. I bought a 30GB from Best Buy this weekend and have only the highest praises for it.
I love the touch-sensitive buttons and really think they're sturdier than the old ones. I've had no trouble with erratic button selection.
I think it looks better than the old one (I like the more rounded edges), I like the button layout better, and I like the updated interface. All in all it's easier to use than the old one, IMHO. About the only thing I have to complain about is the shiny aluminum fingerprint magnet - does anybody have a link to that article from way back about giving it a "brushed" look?
One word of warning though - the first one I bought (yes, I'm already on my second 30GB) had an issue where after fully charging and being left in its dock, it would not "wake up," and only a slight buzz was heard from the actual iPod when buttons were touched. It was obviously defective, I returned it to Best Buy, and my current one behaves perfectly.

bennetsaysargh
May 6, 2003, 06:00 PM
i have a new 15Gb iPod, and it is amazing!
i don't know what you are on buddy, but it is the best ever. if the buttons are too sensitive for you, you have to b on something because my buttons only go when i want then to. as for the remote, i agree it could be better, but it's design is way better.

end of conversation.

janey
May 6, 2003, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by beatle888
DUDE I HAVE PROBABLY SPENT MORE TIME WITH THE NEW iPod THAN YOU HAVE SO DON'T GIVE ME THAT CRAP
jeeze i can't believe how ignorant people are...most people would not part with $400-$500 without thinking of it...
I bought my old iPod before i ever used one for more than two minutes. I bought the new iPod after playing with it for SEVERAL DAYS.

mmmdreg
May 7, 2003, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by MorganX
If iTunes worked with the rio the way it does with the iPod I'd probably buy it. What I would really like is to buy a brand new 10g of the old iPod design, can't find one anywhere.

Edit: Maybe there will be an iPod classic. I think I'll try and hold out for an aluminum back also. I watched a demo video on ZDnet and the iPod the Apple rep was displaying for the camera was filthy with fingerprints. I thought that was pretty embarrassing.

Try checking out Apple Stores in person. They probably have a few left overs at awsome prices.

Grokgod
May 7, 2003, 01:56 AM
For those of you that are having trouble with my manner of dialogue or posting.

I don't care. I enjoy posting in the manner that I do.

To anyone that tells me to learn english and then misspells RECOMMEND.

****!

To anyone that thinks the HOLD button is merely FLICKED on and off.
I say you must be the HULK!

Me like posting in half wit talk.

I make no claims of genius or glibness.
Nor must I fullfill the needs of others to reap the rewards of elegant prose.
Go read Wordsworth for that.

Back to iPods...
what i liked was the size and the notes ability. but what i lost in pure functionality was not worth the small gains.

I have been using my old 5 giger for a few days now since the newer model was sold.

I feel far more comfortable with the useability of the older model.

Button placement ,, perfect!
Alpha dial,,, great! Better than solid state!
Battery life, great!

and when you look at it, its front design is so well thought out that its like the smiley face.
Its a classic!

I never have to take it out of my pocket to switch off the hold button or to turn it on. I dont have to use the hold at all.

I adjust the volume often as i move through various situations during walks or runs or driving. I couldnt do this if the hold was on!

To have to use the hold often, to be able to change volume and then hold the other buttons from being initiated, is far too disruptive to my listening and whatever I am doing when I am listening.

I think that functional design is key.
If your not thinking about making the design work, then thats great design!

The old iPod is a TRUE classic and will one day be worth FAR more than its initial cost!

Its a FREAKIN classic, no doubt!
I will look for a classic 10 giger and put it aside incase <GOD FORBID > anything should happen to my 5 giger.

Knock on wood! < Or my head >

mmmdreg
May 7, 2003, 02:09 AM
DUDE I HAVE PROBABLY SPENT MORE TIME WITH THE NEW iPod THAN YOU HAVE SO DON'T GIVE ME THAT CRAP
jeeze i can't believe how ignorant people are...most people would not part with $400-$500 without thinking of it...
I bought my old iPod before i ever used one for more than two minutes. I bought the new iPod after playing with it for SEVERAL DAYS.

hmm..then your bad for buying it after all that testing. Strictly speaking, it is your own fault, so no use bitching about it after your "SEVERAL DAYS" of testing.

mim
May 7, 2003, 02:12 AM
The original design is a classic. I've got a 10gig scroller - and as far as classic industrial design goes, this is one of the best (most classic) products ever made.

Now this doesn't mean the design can't be improved on. The new ipod's rounded corners make it more friendly - easier to hold. The touch scroll was a great move in terms of durability, and the new buttons are a logical extention to that. The new 'pod is improved in so many ways - but that doesn't mean it is more classic than the old one.

Classic is a pretty intangible thing to define, but you could say it represents a design that is relevent, ground-breaking, and just makes sense. Moving the buttons from the edge of the wheel and making them touch sensitive is a move away from 'classicness' in my opinion - having the buttons arranged around the wheel is one of those things that 'just made sense'.

You can see why Apple did it. The new 'pods will stay cleaner and probably last longer because of it. It's a 'better' design. Just not a classic :cool:

adamcoop
May 7, 2003, 02:18 AM
Rolling Stone says the iPod is an American Icon (er... slightly off topic, I know).

http://www.rollingstone.com/features/coverstory/featuregen.asp?pid=1628

bennetsaysargh
May 7, 2003, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by adamcoop
Rolling Stone says the iPod is an American Icon (er... slightly off topic, I know).

http://www.rollingstone.com/features/coverstory/featuregen.asp?pid=1628

cool! i have an american icon in my pocket!

somecows
May 7, 2003, 03:03 PM
This has been touched on a bit, but I have a question about MP3 vs the new AAC format. I have a new 15 gig ipod, it's the first ipod I've had, and I've never really had any need before to convert my CDs to MP3 format. I'm pretty much an MP3 novice. So my question is, as I go through my CD collection and convert them, should I convert them to MP3 or AAC? If AAC is the new technology and the file size is smaller, should I just go ahead and do that? Or is there some reason to stick with the MP3 format? I guess what I'm asking is, if this new AAC technology is out there, what reasons are there for using MP3 instead?

Also, if I do decide to go with the MP3 format, what encoding rate should I use (I'm not sure if that is the right term)? The default setting in my itunes is 150 or something like that, but I see there is also a 192 option. Is there any reason to use the 192 format if I'll just be listening to songs in my ipod, or do I not really need that high a quality sound file?

Thanks!

Tom800
May 7, 2003, 04:19 PM
I just want an iPod (or Rio Pearl) that has the same sound quality as I get with headphones plugged into the TiBook headphone socket. The same headphones and AACs on iPods sound much worse! The wiring inside cripples the sound quality. I wonder if the new iPods are better in this respect.

adamcoop
May 7, 2003, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by somecows
This has been touched on a bit, but I have a question about MP3 vs the new AAC format. I have a new 15 gig ipod, it's the first ipod I've had, and I've never really had any need before to convert my CDs to MP3 format. I'm pretty much an MP3 novice. So my question is, as I go through my CD collection and convert them, should I convert them to MP3 or AAC? If AAC is the new technology and the file size is smaller, should I just go ahead and do that? Or is there some reason to stick with the MP3 format? I guess what I'm asking is, if this new AAC technology is out there, what reasons are there for using MP3 instead?

Also, if I do decide to go with the MP3 format, what encoding rate should I use (I'm not sure if that is the right term)? The default setting in my itunes is 150 or something like that, but I see there is also a 192 option. Is there any reason to use the 192 format if I'll just be listening to songs in my ipod, or do I not really need that high a quality sound file?

Thanks!

Check out http://www.apple.com/mpeg4/aac/

This should explain the differences between the two formats. Personally, I'm ripping AACs at 192kbps, which seems to be a little higher quality than average, but still around half the size of my original MP3 library (which was done at 320kbps).

As a side note, a file encoded at 192kbps will be the same size regardless of format. i.e. a 192kbps AAC will be the same size as a 192kbps MP3; The AAC will sound a lot better however.

bertagert
May 7, 2003, 06:02 PM
I'm wondering what people would have said if the design of the current ipod was on the first one and the old style was put on the new one?

I'm betting most people would have been so use to the touch buttons that the new buttons around the scroll wheel would seem really wierd. I think most people will get use to the new design. Kind of like when a car comes out and you think its terriblely ugly then for some reason, it all of a sudden looks good.

And as for the people that don't like the new design, they have legit complaints. There is no way one company can make something that fits everyone. Not a bad thing, its just the way things are. I believe Apple had a lot of feedback from people and tested the new design out in focus groups or what ever and this is what a "majority" of people liked.

I personally like the looks of the old scroll wheel/buttons but I'm not going buy an old one simply because of the new features and such.

One more note: the new ipod definitely looks more like a pod than the v1.

damax452
May 7, 2003, 06:54 PM
I bought my 15GB iPod on saturday...my first iPod. At first I was absolutely amazed by it. The fact that it is so small, and beautiful, while still being functional just blew me away. However, I do agree that there are some minor design flaws. Nothing major though.

- The buttons are too sensitive, I am able to change the volume with my finger through the outside my pocket even. and when i reach into my poket to make a change, i often press the wrong button by accident. The hold button is essential here.

- As for scratching/fingerprints, iPod is very prone to both, kind of a bummer but i am usually very careful with everything i own so its not a big issue with me.

- I find the text very easy to read, but i wish i could more effectively search for a song...like display all songs in the format of "artist - album - title" in one long list (no folders). I know you can do this by songs only but i prefer by artist....(can you do this?)

- The remote is useless to me, too many wires, and it doesnt clip well to anything.

That's about all, although it seems like im ripping the iPod bad, they are just minor faults, I'm still happy with my purchase.

;)

markomarko
May 7, 2003, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by idkew
i reccomend you learn the english language.

I recommend you do the same.

:rolleyes:

Taft
May 7, 2003, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by damax452
- I find the text very easy to read, but i wish i could more effectively search for a song...like display all songs in the format of "artist - album - title" in one long list (no folders). I know you can do this by songs only but i prefer by artist....(can you do this?)

Under Browse... there should be choices for Artist, Album and such. Artist brings you to a list of all the artists on the iPod. Selecting an artist brings you to a list of the artists albums, then down to the songs.

If you can't see these items on the menu, go to the Settings menu on the top level. Then, go the the Menu Settings area and make sure artist is selected on the menus.

Taft

rainman::|:|
May 7, 2003, 07:21 PM
i agree totally. like i said in another forum, apple took a design that worked beautifully and ****ed it up. i mean, it was just perfect. i'm holding onto my 10gig tight now, it's the iPod done right.

IMHO, they should have left the design alone (perhaps rounded the edges of the plastic a BIT) and put 20, 30 and 40 gig drives in. Obviously it's not cost prohibitive, look at the other companies! i think the original success of the iPod is soon to go down the drain as people flock to cheaper devices that in many cases hold more.

pnw

damax452
May 7, 2003, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by Taft
Under Browse... there should be choices for Artist, Album and such. Artist brings you to a list of all the artists on the iPod. Selecting an artist brings you to a list of the artists albums, then down to the songs.

If you can't see these items on the menu, go to the Settings menu on the top level. Then, go the the Menu Settings area and make sure artist is selected on the menus.

Taft

Thanks, Taft. But what I meant was that i want to see ALL my songs in ONE folder, (one list), and have them in alphabetical order by artist. Currently the only way to see artists in alphabetical order is to have artist displayed as a folder then you have to enter another folder to see the albums/songs.

Sorry if this isn't clear, its kind of hard to explain.

I think i can solve my problem by listing "artist - album - title" in the title field of the ID3 tag, and then use the 'songs' search and id see my "artist - album - title" tag. This may sound wierd but this is how i list my songs in winamp so im used to it. ;)

iJon
May 7, 2003, 07:40 PM
i cant believe how ignorant people are? you are boasting about playing with the ipod more than us (and we dont care), then you bought it, now you are complaining you bought it. exactly how long did you play with it, apparently not enough.

iJon

janey
May 7, 2003, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by iJon
i cant believe how ignorant people are? you are boasting about playing with the ipod more than us (and we dont care), then you bought it, now you are complaining you bought it. exactly how long did you play with it, apparently not enough.
i played with it. i got it. i sold it.
when did i ever say i got it because i wanted it?

Kid Red
May 7, 2003, 08:54 PM
Most of the complaints sound like OS 9 users first time using X. It's stupid, where's this, why'd they change that, if it ain't broke don't fix it, etc. The only reason you don't like it is because you have to learn something different. It's not that the new iPod is bad design, it's that it's different for your comfort level. Notice the new iPod owners love it, but 2 original iPod owners don't.

Sounds like some people need to relax and adjust to life a little more. I look foward to getting my first iPod, because as much as I hated X when it came out, I would never go back to 9 now.

iJon
May 7, 2003, 08:57 PM
i played with it. i got it. i sold it.
when did i ever say i got it because i wanted it?
well assuming you played with it and bought it, if you didnt want it then exactly why did you buy it?

iJon

janey
May 7, 2003, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by iJon
well assuming you played with it and bought it, if you didnt want it then exactly why did you buy it?

iJon
because i felt that i might fall in love with the new iPod...but i didn't

Datazoid
May 7, 2003, 10:05 PM
OK, I hate doing this, but "fall in love with the new iPod"??? It's a frigging MP3 player!!!! You aren't supposed to fall in love with it! I mean, I know we're all geeks here, but "fall in love"! That's a bit extreme! If you like it, buy it. If not, buy something else, or don't buy anything at all. Sorry, but I never expected to "fall in love" with my iPod. Yeah, I like it, and yeah, I like the new one too. I'd prefer the new one, I have no problem with the touch sensitive buttons (primarily car use, so no "pocket problems"), and I find the new design attractive. But thats just me. I think some of us forget that, yeah, it is just an MP3 player or computer. I doubt Apple will ever make everybody happy with their product releases, such is the dilemma with innovation. The more you "push the envelope", the more polarized people become...

dhdave
May 7, 2003, 10:16 PM
Ok, ok. I am not supposed to fall in love with it, but I'm a geek and I am in love with my iPod. It is worth every penny I spent. I have no reason to doubt you guys at all. I have seen for myself the sensitivity of the controls. I'm just glad this is my first one so I don't have the prior benchmark in my mind to disappoint me. I just love this thing.

-dh

etoiles
May 7, 2003, 10:17 PM
because i felt that i might fall in love with the new iPod...but i didn't

That is a pretty scary statement, even for an uebergeek...
You probably meant to say "because I needed the extra storage space", right ?

;)

janey
May 7, 2003, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by etoiles
That is a pretty scary statement, even for an uebergeek...
You probably meant to say "because I needed the extra storage space", right ?

;)
heh no i meant what i said.
and it's übergeek :)

etoiles
May 7, 2003, 10:32 PM
ah, common, I am trying to help you out here, work with me :p

ü=ue (in German, when you are typing on a keyboard without 'Umlauts'. Ok, ok, it does not look as übercool, I know :D )

mrdrumbum
May 7, 2003, 10:53 PM
my ipod smells.

ebow
May 7, 2003, 11:56 PM
[holding back my annoyed, not-too-constructive comments about people being sensible] :rolleyes:

(no, nothing to do with mrdrumbum)

mmmdreg
May 8, 2003, 02:06 AM
I bought my 15GB iPod on saturday...my first iPod. At first I was absolutely amazed by it. The fact that it is so small, and beautiful, while still being functional just blew me away. However, I do agree that there are some minor design flaws. Nothing major though.

- The buttons are too sensitive, I am able to change the volume with my finger through the outside my pocket even. and when i reach into my poket to make a change, i often press the wrong button by accident. The hold button is essential here.

- The remote is useless to me, too many wires, and it doesnt clip well to anything.

First of all, learn to use a remote. Depending on what the weather is like, say I'm wearing my school coat, the cable from the headphones go down my back and around my left, which plugs into my remote that is attache to my shirt, which is attached to the ipod in either the coat pocket or my pants. All the excess remote cable just goes in the pocket. Theres nothing wrong with that.

Wardofsky
May 8, 2003, 03:06 AM
In terms of that Sonic Cube whatever thing I would only base it on:
a. Battery consumption.
b. Encoding.
c. Weight.
d. Transfer speed.

along with few other things like the UI and charging method.

Back to the iPods...

Well, I got my first iPod on the day the 3G iPods came out, I had been waiting a while so I was happy and sad in a caparative sort of way.
But I looked at it as "If it plays music, it's why I have it" and played it all through the night.

iSegway
May 8, 2003, 05:07 AM
I really wish that Apple had waited just a little longer to introduce the latest update to the Ipod so they could incorperate this technology... E Ink (http://www.msnbc.com/news/910466.asp?0dm=C12KT)

Black and white Oled (http://www.cio.com/archive/010103/43_content.html)Nigel Deighton, vice president and research director for Gartner, says "OLED definitely has the potential to replace LCD. Just the fact that you can see an OLED screen in sunlight, unlike the LCD screen, will make a huge difference." He predicts that the technology will launch in 2003 as black-and-white screens but will likely turn to color sometime in the next couple of years.

A digital camera from Kodak will soon be released with an Oled screen...Digital Camera with Oled (http://www.dpreview.com/news/0303/03030216kodakls633.asp)
pic of display (http://www.letsgodigital.nl/webpages/events/PMA-2003/news/kodak/LS633_uk.html)

It seems like it is just about ready to be incorperated in many new products.

More Oled news (http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,110209,00.asp) Prototype versions of 2.2-inch and 3.5-inch panels were also displayed by Toshiba Matsu****a Display Technology. Commercial production is scheduled to begin sometime in 2004, said Jun Hanari of the company's research and development center. On power consumption, he said that in some cases, such as a still screen of black text on a white background, it could be as much as double that of a modern LCD.

Now... wouldn't something like that Eink... or a black and white Oled with a white background be absolutely beautiful on this sleek new touch screen Ipod? To me, the screen on the Ipod has always looked barbaric compared to the rest of it(especially with the backlight off).

bennetsaysargh
May 8, 2003, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by Kid Red
Most of the complaints sound like OS 9 users first time using X. It's stupid, where's this, why'd they change that, if it ain't broke don't fix it, etc. The only reason you don't like it is because you have to learn something different. It's not that the new iPod is bad design, it's that it's different for your comfort level. Notice the new iPod owners love it, but 2 original iPod owners don't.

Sounds like some people need to relax and adjust to life a little more. I look foward to getting my first iPod, because as much as I hated X when it came out, I would never go back to 9 now.

you couldn't be more right. at first, i thought the new iPods were ugly, but as i anticipated friday night coming, they seemed to get cooler and cooler than my brother's 20GB.
you'll get used to it people. and if you don't, at least use proper english in the title:p

bennetsaysargh
May 8, 2003, 03:03 PM
Thanks, Taft. But what I meant was that i want to see ALL my songs in ONE folder, (one list), and have them in alphabetical order by artist. Currently the only way to see artists in alphabetical order is to have artist displayed as a folder then you have to enter another folder to see the albums/songs.

Sorry if this isn't clear, its kind of hard to explain.

I think i can solve my problem by listing "artist - album - title" in the title field of the ID3 tag, and then use the 'songs' search and id see my "artist - album - title" tag. This may sound wierd but this is how i list my songs in winamp so im used to it. ;)

you could just put them into a playlist (the wholoe library) and then set the order to what you want. might be a little tedious towards the song title, but that's all i can think of right now.

Flowbee
May 8, 2003, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by mrdrumbum
my ipod smells.

Just don't keep it in your back pocket.

bennetsaysargh
May 8, 2003, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by mrdrumbum
my ipod smells.

what does it smell like? maybe you should keep it out of your back poscket:p

sparks9
May 8, 2003, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by Flowbee
Just don't keep it in your back pocket.

Yak!!

MacFan25
May 8, 2003, 06:47 PM
I got my new 10 GB last Friday. This is my first iPod. And I love it! I love the touch-keys. At first I had to get a little used to them, but now I love them. :D

bennetsaysargh
May 8, 2003, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by MacFan25
I got my new 10 GB last Friday. This is my first iPod. And I love it! I love the touch-keys. At first I had to get a little used to them, but now I love them. :D

also, i wanna add that you can't use the buttons with anything but fingers. kinda cool.