Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Another entry into the Yikes Files...

A small airplane apparently took a nose-dive into a tank of raw sewage near Gilroy on Monday afternoon.

Gilroy police Sgt. Kurt Svardal said authorities have no idea where the plane was from or where it was going. The aircraft came pretty much straight down into a holding tank filled with raw sewage at a sewage treatment facility, he said, adding that it was too dangerous for a dive team to go into the water and check for bodies or the tail number of the plane, which would indicate who owned it and where it was from.

The tank is about 20 feet deep and will have to be drained before police can determine if anyone is inside. Svardal said police assume at least one person, the pilot, is inside the downed plane. There may be passengers as well.

Police received reports of a possible crash around 4 p.m. and spent an hour and a half checking the area. Workers at the sewage treatment plant noticed damage to a railing around the tank and notified police, who determined that the plane had gone into the tank.

The tank is a couple hundred feet in diameter, Svardal said, which means the plane probably came in at a very steep angle. It is nowhere near any kind of airfield or landing strip, he said.

Svardal said Gilroy police had no reports of overdue or missing planes in the area. He said the Federal Aviation Administration is trying to determine where the plane came from and who was at the controls.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/12/19/BAG8JN26UK1.DTL&feed=rss.bayarea

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
That's a pretty crappy way to die.

I guess perhaps the pilot knew he was in trouble and thought that there was a chance the tank might make the crash survivable. I'm sorry it didn't work out for him.

EGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 4, 2003
Goodness, very strange circumstances. :confused:

Sympathies to the family members involved.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
I'm guessing by the look of the plane that they didn't have to endure the sewage for long. Still, of all the ways to go... :(

ba_crash20dpm004.jpg

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
That's a pretty crappy way to die.

I guess perhaps the pilot knew he was in trouble and thought that there was a chance the tank might make the crash survivable. I'm sorry it didn't work out for him.

Sewer you going to make another bad joke about this?

Now that we know it was a twin engine aircraft, the most likely scenario is an engine-out situation. Twins are a real handful with the loss of an engine.

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
Did they die on impact or suffocate or ingest the sewage?

Whichever, they were in deep s**t.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
The tank is about 20 feet x 200 feet and after a plane literally dove in the only sign of the crash was a bent railing? I would expect there to be sewage everywhere (not to mention a huge hole in the bottom).

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
The tank is about 20 feet x 200 feet and after a plane literally dove in the only sign of the crash was a bent railing? I would expect there to be sewage everywhere (not to mention a huge hole in the bottom).
You might have something there, Mr Closet Conspiracist. The plane came in at a steep angle - not a shallow glide when it could well have skimmed off the surface like, well, a stone over s**t - and so would have sliced through the mess like a hot knife through butter.

The plot thickens...

(All metaphors are in the public domain)

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
That is one of the more bizarre stories I've heard lately...

Wierd that the sewage plant employees didn't hear anything. I wonder if both engines had stalled by the time the plane was in its final dive? I'm guessing no based on the bent prop in the photo.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.