PDA

View Full Version : Re-Format iPod?

CommonMan
Dec 21, 2006, 12:55 PM
I was using my iPod with the iTunes we had in our Mac G3 and everything was working fine. Then, I wrecked the G3 by accidentally putting over a gig of files on the desktop. The only way I can fix it is to reload the operating system. This will wipe out everything on the G3 hard drive. My question is this: when I get the G3 up and running and plug in the iPod, will I need to re-format the iPod? Will I have to start all over again as far as loading songs on the iPod? It took a lot of time to select and put those songs on the iPod.

bigandy
Dec 21, 2006, 01:13 PM
I was using my iPod with the iTunes we had in our Mac G3 and everything was working fine. Then, I wrecked the G3 by accidentally putting over a gig of files on the desktop. The only way I can fix it is to reload the operating system. This will wipe out everything on the G3 hard drive. My question is this: when I get the G3 up and running and plug in the iPod, will I need to re-format the iPod? Will I have to start all over again as far as loading songs on the iPod? It took a lot of time to select and put those songs on the iPod.

if your iMac is Firewire equipped (the later ones were), you shouldn't have much trouble to solve any issue - use Target Disk Mode to sort it out (your Mac mounts like an external drive on another machine, yours or a friend's).

Single user mode can also solve the issue. Although, why is there a problem? If they're pictures, and the 'preview' mode is set on, yeah, you're screwed :rolleyes:

You don't need to reformat your iPod. If it was set to manage files manually it's fine, if not just press 'no' when it asks you.

:)

thejadedmonkey
Dec 21, 2006, 01:39 PM

Someone else had that problem. Log into single user mode and use command line to move everything on the desktop into a folder.