PDA

View Full Version : Damaged powerbook question

medusagrl7
Dec 21, 2006, 01:35 PM
I just got a call at work from my stressed-out boyfriend - he accidentally knocked my laptop (15" Powerbook) off the coffeetable where I had been working early this morning (and I had foolishly not put the computer back in the case). Amazingly he said there is a lot of damage to the back left corner - major impact dent; power cord won't plug in; he says it's pretty messed up. From reading archived posts, it looks like it's going to be a pretty expensive repair. I have no idea if the hard drive (superdrive) and everything else is working. A friend suggested buying a replacement case; are there any diagnostics I can do myself? Should I bring it in to have it assessed from an authorized service place first, just to know?

Thanks for any advice!

mad jew
Dec 21, 2006, 09:28 PM
As feeble as it is, you could run the Apple Hardware Test that came with the machine. It'll either be on a separate CD (boot holding C with that disc in the drive), or on the OSX disc (boot holding D). It's not perfect, but it may tell you if something's wrong. If everything passes the various tests, that's unfortunately no guaranty that everything's fine. :o

God luck with it. :)

iW00t
Dec 21, 2006, 09:57 PM
That is why magsafe connector is for you :D