Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shitzkrieg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2006
I have a Dual 1.8 GHz PowerPC G5 with 2.5 GB of RAM. My fan starts revving really loud when I am using multiple apps (Adobe CS2, Firefox, iTunes) and while watching a video tutorial or AVI movie (both saved on my desktop). It also happens when I am just watching a AVI movie with no other apps open.

I just added one GB of RAM yesterday thinking maybe this will solve the problem since I am running multiple apps. This did not resolve it.

So I searched the messageboard for threads on fan issues similar to mine. I read it may be caused by the tempature in my room. I keep the tower on my floor on top of 2 pieces of wood about a 1/2 inch thick. I live in a small brick studio apartment so the tempature is usaully between 60 to 70 degrees.

I looked into smcfancontrol but it looks like its for laptops only.

I also do not have a utilities program for my computer yet. I was wondering what was the best program out there to clean up/tune-up my hard drive so its running at maxium speed.

Has anyone had experince with this issue and have any answers? I am concerned this may be very detrimental to my computer in the long run.

Thanks in advance....

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
Put your CPU processors (in the energy control panel) on high. In this way your fans don't rev up everytime you open an app. But they will make a bit more noise because they spin a bit faster all of the times.

jmoss

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2006
Mine too

Mine did this every now and again. Eventually, I came back from dinner one evening and the fans were going crazy and obviously had been for a while :confused: Then I had starting issues and lock ups. Went back under Applecare and was traced to faulty RAM. You may want to start there ....

Hope you get it sorted.

Jon

PS New Mac pro has been used loads in the last month or so and has never had fans on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.