PDA

View Full Version : Best accessory to hook iPod to Car stereo?

d wade
Dec 22, 2006, 01:35 AM
Right now i use the Monster FM transmitter. It really sucks because I live in a heavily populated area, so the airwaves are jammed with radio stations overpowering my music.

I am constantly changing it around to find a clearer station. I am sick of this and want something that will give me CD quality with no hassle. The thing I do like about it though is that it charges the iPod when plugged in.

I don't have a cassette player in my car, so i cant use that.

I would like some sort of direct hookup or something.

In my friend's brand new Lexus he has a cable hooked to some auxiliary setting that he said newer cars come with. I drive a 2004 SUV, so I am out of luck there too.

Is there any cable out there that can give me great quality and charge the iPod at the same time?

c-Row
Dec 22, 2006, 02:20 AM
A quick-and-dirty solution would be getting a car stereo with an AUX input on the front which you could plug the iPod into.

d wade
Dec 22, 2006, 02:25 PM
A quick-and-dirty solution would be getting a car stereo with an AUX input on the front which you could plug the iPod into.

ok thats what im gonna do. gonna end up costing around $200 by getting the new iPod ready head unit plus adapter. but hey, my gf has been looking for an xmas gift for weeks, and i just found the PERFECT one :)

thanks alot!

backsidetailsli
Dec 22, 2006, 02:32 PM
that monster hook up is garbage.
i live in toronto and the kensington RDS transmitter works amazingly

mannix87
Dec 23, 2006, 12:40 AM
forget the fm transmitters. I've had several over the years: 2 versions of the iTrip &2 others, they all sucked. I use two vehicles, a sedan & a van. In the sedan I use a cassette adaptor and in the van, i use a direct hook up via the head unit's CD changer auxi. the only reason i haven't thrown them out is in case I have to use somebody else's car w/c has no direct hook up, I can still use my iPod.

tominated
Dec 23, 2006, 01:05 AM
there are some 3rd party car stereos (alpine and pioneer for example) that have built in ipod support.

sandman42
Dec 23, 2006, 03:06 AM
there are some 3rd party car stereos (alpine and pioneer for example) that have built in ipod support.

Do these work ok? I tried one out maybe 2 years ago, when they hadn't been available very long, and it didn't seem useable. It took *forever* to scroll through the list of artists. I would really like to adopt this tech, but it was so bad when I tried it, it really put me off it. Have they improved it much? Is there one that's known for being especially good?

zim
Dec 23, 2006, 08:48 AM
I have a stereo with a line out.. plug and play :D.

You can get a decent car stereo with a line out for under 100.. at least I did last year for my wife's car. Her line out is right on the front of the stereo.

d wade
Dec 23, 2006, 01:41 PM
I have a stereo with a line out.. plug and play :D.

You can get a decent car stereo with a line out for under 100.. at least I did last year for my wife's car. Her line out is right on the front of the stereo.

the price is not really a factor. i want the best, am willing to pay a little more. i needed a new head unit anyway

plus, my gf is gonna get it for me for xmas. she likes to spoil me, so i am sure it will be a nice one :)

puckhead193
Dec 23, 2006, 01:47 PM
I think their was a thread in the picture gallery on your ipod car set up, you could look their

In my friend's brand new Lexus he has a cable hooked to some auxiliary setting that he said newer cars come with. I drive a 2004 SUV, so I am out of luck there too.

which lexus? i drive an 04 ES and their is no easy way to hook anything up :(

tominated
Dec 23, 2006, 02:42 PM
Do these work ok? I tried one out maybe 2 years ago, when they hadn't been available very long, and it didn't seem useable. It took *forever* to scroll through the list of artists. I would really like to adopt this tech, but it was so bad when I tried it, it really put me off it. Have they improved it much? Is there one that's known for being especially good?

well, my dads car has ipod support built in and it worls great. for the standard stereo from VW it treats it as a massive cd, but the other stereos treat it as an ipod and i heard they are awesome.

zim
Dec 23, 2006, 04:01 PM
the price is not really a factor. i want the best, am willing to pay a little more. i needed a new head unit anyway

plus, my gf is gonna get it for me for xmas. she likes to spoil me, so i am sure it will be a nice one :)

Well then go with a line in or a unit that has inputs on the back, you will get the best sound.

d wade
Dec 23, 2006, 08:02 PM
I think their was a thread in the picture gallery on your ipod car set up, you could look their

which lexus? i drive an 04 ES and their is no easy way to hook anything up :(

i said brand new bro. '06 IS

and not to be a jerk or grammar police... but when referencing a location, the correct spelling is 'THERE'

i'm sorry but it is a huge pet peeve of mine. i can't STAND when people mix up their/there/they're or too/two/to, etc. it's simple English learned in elementary school.

puckhead193
Dec 24, 2006, 03:12 AM
i said brand new bro. '06 IS

and not to be a jerk or grammar police... but when referencing a location, the correct spelling is 'THERE'

i'm sorry but it is a huge pet peeve of mine. i can't STAND when people mix up their/there/they're or too/two/to, etc. it's simple English learned in elementary school.

Sorry for being LD :rolleyes: :o