Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Perceptes

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2003
San Diego, CA
Because I don't feel like typing it in again, here is a cut 'n' paste from the iTunes feedback I just submitted to Apple:

-----------------

I'm not sure what caused this to start happening, but in the last few weeks before iTunes 4 was released, both my brother and I (on separate Macs) encountered "fatal errors" from iTunes 3 that made it quit. Upon restart, the preferences of all applications that were running at the time of the error were lost. This included Finder view preferences, dock prefs and the apps in the dock, AOL Instant Messenger prefs, profile, and saved away messages, Safari prefs, and Mail accounts (but fortunately not saved mail). This happened to me maybe 3 or 4 times, and it happened to my brother closer to 10. We were hoping this would not occur with iTunes 4, but it just did it to me for the first time. The only difference is that instead of just saying "fatal error" it gave me a message saying the library file could not be saved due to insufficient disk space. But all I did was double click on a song when it did this. It had already been playing for hours. I checked my disk space and I had 120 something MB left at the time. So I deleted a bunch of files to make a little more room. I now have 800 something. Am I in danger of this happening again? What causes it? How can I fix it? It is so, so, so horrible to lose all these settings I can't even tell you. I love iTunes, but when this happens it almost makes me want to switch to a PC! Bleh! PLEASE look into this!! Thanks!!!

-----------------

Anyone have any advice on this? Addendum I forgot to mention to Apple: I only went down that low on disk space in the last two days. When I was using iTunes 3, I had many GB free, so it doesn't seem like it's related to disk space... unless these were actually two separate errors with the same result.

Any help would be appreciated.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
cant say ive ever had this problem with itunes 1 through 4, liek what he said, possibly another app doing it.

iJon

Foxer

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2003
Washington, DC
I agree. I've had iTunes (3) crash, but it never affected anything else. I suspect that whatever the real problem is CAUSES iTunes to crash (as well as deleting your prefs), but since it is the most visible "problem" I can see how it would be easy to suspect iTunes as the culprit.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
> The only difference is that instead of just saying "fatal error" it gave me a message saying the library file could not be saved due to insufficient disk space. But all I did was double click on a song when it did this. It had already been playing for hours. I checked my disk space and I had 120 something MB left at the time ---- (Perceptes)

Right there is where I gasped out loud.

You MUST have at least a matching number of MB of RAM as you do your Hard Drive space! Otherwise you may encounter severe errors when your computer is doing work.

I first discovered this when I was working with Photoshop on my iBook and 320MB of RAM. I had around 100MB of Hard Disk space left. When I went to perform a transform/fliter/alteration of some sort around this level I got an error from Photoshop, saying the scratch disks were full. This problem went away when I cleared some more space.

(Side: The first time I used iTunes 4 I had to Force Quit it, but I haven't needed to since.)

This is from my experience. I haven't experienced anything this critical before, but I would suggest a traditional "Back up and reinstall". Once you have done that, bring your software/data back to your computer, but leave sufficient Hard Drive space the following time around.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.