Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emw

macrumors G4
Original poster
Aug 2, 2004
And here we've been complaining about our hot MacBooks... ;)

Welcome to Barrow -- the country's ground zero for cold. Friday marks the first full day of winter, and no community knows how to survive freezing temperatures like people in this icebound town. Barrow, with a population of 4,500 (57 percent of them native Inupiat Eskimos), holds the record for the lowest average temperature in the United States.

When it's 40 below, you can make ice cubes outside in 14 minutes. If you don't cover your earlobes, they will freeze solid. People learn to breathe slowly, because the frigid air can frostbite the lungs.

Car tires flatten. Breaks fail. Steering wheels snap in drivers' hands. Local computer technicians recommend Apple laptops because, they say, biting temperatures make other brands break.

Link

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
Okay, so if it's -40 outside, why would anyone be making ice cubes?

Inquiring minds demand to know!

for the rye whiskey & coke of course! A nice strong drink will warm you right up in -40... of course putting ice in the drink to keep it cold...so it can warm you up...

... you may have a point :p

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
I was thinking maybe they put ice cubes in their beds to keep warm.

or better yet, heat up the ice cubes!

actually I grew up in Manitoba where -40 days weren't uncommon. Although -25 to -30 (celcius) were more the norm. It sucks but you learn to live with it, heck my Dad BBQ's year round! Just pull the BBQ up to the patio doors and go to town.

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
LOL!

Don't ask me. I'm off to the equator to start a furnace installation company.

May you burn in Ecuador.
Hey, we have feelings too. My guess is the furnace co. will be within or near the sierra region, where fire places are welcome, year 'round. And they have an Apple Store. :)

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    32.5 KB · Views: 201
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.