PDA

View Full Version : Headphones and Mastering

beatsme
Dec 22, 2006, 09:58 AM
I know nothing beats a good pair of reference speakers, but there are headphones out there that are labelled as "suitable for mastering." Anybody use these? Can anybody recommend a decent set?

I'd quite like to have some reference speakers, but I don't want to drive the neighbors crazy (I live in a 4 unit apt. building). And I'm realizing that while I can get a nice-sounding mix through my plain old stereo, it won't sound that way through the iPod or in the car...at all...

anyway, comments/suggestions?

Sesshi
Dec 22, 2006, 10:10 AM
The MDR-7506 (http://www.amazon.com/Sony-7506-Pro-MDR-7506-Headphones/dp/B0002H02ZY) is used by studios worldwide. It doesn't necessarily mean the headphone is actually that good in the overall scheme of things, it just means that it is suitable for monitoring. The MDR-7509 (http://www.amazon.com/Sony-7506-Pro-MDR-7506-Headphones/dp/B0002H02ZY) is also very popular among vocal and instrumental performers alike for playback monitoring. The Beyerdynamic DT100 is also extremely popular for all-purpose monitoring.

Apparently there are some people who partly master on things like the Stax Omega II (http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue12/staxomega.htm) headphones, but usually a mastering session will be handled by the use of monitor speakers: I doubt anyone commits to a final master based on a pair of 7506's for example.

zimv20
Dec 22, 2006, 12:25 PM
imo, a mastering room is more about the room and the ears than the gear.

Sesshi
Dec 22, 2006, 01:02 PM
Er... well, it is all about the ear but... headphones... room... ?

zimv20
Dec 22, 2006, 01:07 PM
meaning:
1. the gear is secondary, and
2. using headphones removes the room from the equation, and that's a bad thing

beatsme
Dec 22, 2006, 01:38 PM
yea...I think I see what you mean.

I've been "mastering" :rolleyes: this thing I'm working on for a couple of hours. Really, I think you just hafta listen to it about a zillion times to get a sense of the overall mix, and then adjust accordingly. I mean, that big bass line sounds cool, but 3 or 4 minutes of it can get a little old...

zimv20
Dec 22, 2006, 01:58 PM
I think you just hafta listen to it about a zillion times to get a sense of the overall mix
i'm rather of the opinion that mastering should be done by someone who hasn't heard the track before, and can work from their very first impression of the song.

i.e. those who mix it shouldn't master it

among other things, the mastering engineer should be able to fix the mistakes made by the mixing engineer. note that the mixing engineer doesn't realize he's made those mistakes, 'cuz he's fixed all the ones he knows about.

Sesshi
Dec 22, 2006, 01:58 PM

Yeah... but... that's... what....

*deflates*

beatsme
Dec 22, 2006, 02:49 PM
well, I'm done with the mix. Anybody want to hear it?

zimv20
Dec 22, 2006, 02:59 PM
of course.

beatsme
Dec 22, 2006, 03:15 PM
of course.

ok...lemme figure out how to do it...

zimv20
Dec 22, 2006, 03:23 PM
tease.

:-)

ChrisA
Dec 22, 2006, 03:23 PM
I know nothing beats a good pair of reference speakers, but there are headphones out there that are labelled as "suitable for mastering." Anybody use these? Can anybody recommend a decent set?

AGK240 have bee a "standard" for a couple decades. Cheap too under $100 on-line
I bought these in the early 1980's Some Ass*&#$ just ripped them off so I'll be re-buying a pair ASAP. Oh well, looks like they are now slightly improved with a replaceable cord 55 ohms and all.

http://www.akg.com/products/powerslave,mynodeid,157,id,252,pid,252,_language,ENUS.html

If you are working at home at 2:00am speakers are kind of out of the question unless you live alone out in the woods some place. Even in the day time the noise annoys others

the '240 has a very accurate sound and are comfortable for hours.

ChrisA
Dec 22, 2006, 03:30 PM
meaning:
1. the gear is secondary, and

You are right about that, but if you are working on a computer at home the bad thing becomes a good thing. Heard a story about Neil Young. He has a habit of making a copy of the music out of the studio to the parking lot outside and listening inside is pickup truck. Figures that's the place it has to sound good in. One could argue that unless the mixing room IS where your final audience will be head phones are best.

With all the iPods, maybe headphones ARE the listening room

zimv20
Dec 22, 2006, 03:36 PM
Heard a story about Neil Young. He has a habit of making a copy of the music out of the studio to the parking lot outside and listening inside is pickup truck.
well, yeah, you have to check your mixes in different environments -- car, boombox, home stereo, mp3 format, etc.

but those are all extra checks and don't replace the original mix environment, which should be as neutral and reference-like as possible. headphones are another check, but imo shouldn't be the primary mixing system.

beatsme
Dec 22, 2006, 03:52 PM
of course.

http://www.box.net/public/xitxnxxfcx

alrighty...there it is.

it's kind of thin-sounding because, other than the bass/drums, everything on the track was recorded through the built-in speaker on a Mac laptop. I had to pull out the sounds invidually...it was nightmarish

zimv20
Dec 22, 2006, 04:01 PM
besides the vox, what did you record using the built in mic?

zimv20
Dec 22, 2006, 04:06 PM
it's kind of thin-sounding
i'm hearing it more flat than thin. careful use of delays and reverb can add the depth i think you're looking it.

it's a cool track, and the lo-fi vox actually work (though they need depth).

the processing on the bass is... unsettling. what's going on there? if it were my track, i'd shoot for making the bass more center-centric to firm up the center channel.

beatsme
Dec 22, 2006, 04:10 PM
besides the vox, what did you record using the built in mic?

mmm.....ok
I'll post the original file. What happened was this:
a coupla my buddies were fooling around with GarageBand, and they had a miniature steel drum, a tambourine, and a recorder (a kind of flute, I guess) that they were screwing around with. I listened to it, and thought "hey, I'll take that and put a beat to it." And then I got carried away. Hehe...

beatsme
Dec 22, 2006, 04:14 PM
i'm hearing it more flat than thin. careful use of delays and reverb can add the depth i think you're looking it.

the processing on the bass is... unsettling. what's going on there? if it were my track, i'd shoot for making the bass more center-centric to firm up the center channel.

the bass is digital synth...I screwed around with one of the presets in GarageBand and came up with that. It does need some mid-range, that's for sure, but my one pal is really into hip-hop, so I left it like that since that's what he generally prefers (insert shrug)

I'll probably go back to it sometime after the holiday...

beatsme
Dec 22, 2006, 04:23 PM

http://www.box.net/public/5khf99dsji

alrighty...there's the original.

I agree totally, it could use depth. Unfortunately, I'm kind of limited by what GarageBand can do. I'm not really able to use delay on some of it because the available effects bays are already in use :(

I'm thinking seriously about getting Pro Logic...

Sesshi
Dec 22, 2006, 04:59 PM
I agree with zim about the bass processing - but interestingly, it works on headphones and in a slightly different (somewhat irelevant) way, on omnidirectional speakers.

beatsme
Dec 28, 2006, 10:10 AM
ok...here's another remix. This one is (IMHO) much better than anything previous. Comments?

http://www.box.net/public/7h1rabuhlj

zimv20
Dec 28, 2006, 12:01 PM
i'm liking the center channel and balance better, definitely. i'm getting a phase issue somewhere, perhaps the bass? hard to tell w/o access to individual channels. or did you do something funky on the 2-buss?

beatsme
Dec 28, 2006, 03:41 PM
i'm liking the center channel and balance better, definitely. i'm getting a phase issue somewhere, perhaps the bass? hard to tell w/o access to individual channels. or did you do something funky on the 2-buss?

hmmm...I hadn't heard it...I'll give it a listen and see if I can pick it out. It might well be a bass thing, since the bass is actually a combination of the original bass track and a newer track in a little higher register.

zimv20
Dec 28, 2006, 05:24 PM
the bass is actually a combination of the original bass track and a newer track in a little higher register.
does one have a delay on it? are they offset somehow?

beatsme
Dec 28, 2006, 05:26 PM
does one have a delay on it? are they offset somehow?

you know, I think one of them does, come to think of it...that's prolly it.

bbain
Jan 5, 2007, 08:27 PM
In the old LP days, one could buy audiophile LPs that were specifically mastered for headphones. There are at least two problems with mixing and mastering in headphones (more mastering than mixing, but still an issue) if the intent is to listen over speakers, but both related to the way that one hears in headphones:
1. While the "superstereo" effect in headphones can help make sure that instruments, vocals, etc. are panned in the right places in the stereo field, the effect of having the center right in the middle of the listener's head is NOT how it will sound through speakers. Instruments, etc. need to be listened on speakers to make sure the placement is right since most listeners won't be listening on headphones. One consequence of using headphones for mastering can be a weak center since the headphones accentuate the center. Again, you have to check the mix on speakers.
2. Reverb, delay and other effects that are intended to mimic room acoustics are very tricky to mix in headphones since the net effect is different in headphones.

So why use headphones? They are very useful for detailed listening to the tracks in mixing since good ones can give details that would be hard to hear with speakers. Any mastering is a bit of a compromise to make a track sound good on just about any playback system from earbuds to boomboxes to tower speakers. Therefore even the pros check the sound on a variety of systems before they turn it loose.

Bill Bain
Atlanta