Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zeke

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 5, 2002
Greenville, SC
Has anyone else noticed a slowdown with the new CLI version? I started it last night and it has P675_TZ4_NAT2 (40 pts). It's only gotten to frame 35 as of this morning (8 hours later). This is a Dual 1 GHz MDD. I can't remember exactly what my time/point is from 3.24 but I don't remember it ever being this slow. If anyone else has this time I'd like to know as it will let me know I'm full of it. Thanks.

Zeke

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 5, 2002
Greenville, SC
Both instances of FAH_Core are > 90% CPU usage. I just can't remember what a 40 pt WU took prior to the upgrade. I haven't configured this to take GROMACS (using -advmethod) so I didn't expect to see an increase in speed but I also didn't think I'd lose some. Maybe I'm hallucinating or I'm remembering 20 pt protein rates. Not sure...anyone have a Dual 1Ghz running OSX-3.24 still so you can tell me what your time/points is?

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by Zeke
Both instances of FAH_Core are > 90% CPU usage. I just can't remember what a 40 pt WU took prior to the upgrade. I haven't configured this to take GROMACS (using -advmethod) so I didn't expect to see an increase in speed but I also didn't think I'd lose some. Maybe I'm hallucinating or I'm remembering 20 pt protein rates. Not sure...anyone have a Dual 1Ghz running OSX-3.24 still so you can tell me what your time/points is?

wait?

Both instances of FAH_Core!!!

WTF! :confused:

You are supposto be running one at a time!
You need to stop previous folding before starting the new one!

use the 'kill' command
'kill __'
__ = ID number for process

Zeke

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 5, 2002
Greenville, SC
Sorry that was unclear. I meant that I since I have a dual CPU, I have two instances running. Each of them are maxing out their respective CPU so it wasn't like something else was taking cycles. Sorry...

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by Zeke
Sorry that was unclear. I meant that I since I have a dual CPU, I have two instances running. Each of them are maxing out their respective CPU so it wasn't like something else was taking cycles. Sorry...

ahh, still don't see a slow down tho...

Zeke

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 5, 2002
Greenville, SC
I just feel like it's going to take 6 days to finish one as opposed to the 2 it used to take. But I can't remember if I've done 40 pters on here. So, has anyone got the pts/hour for 1Ghz G4? Thanks.

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
This is a quote from the folding forums:
o add the fine print...

1) The core and the client are separate pieces of software. The client contacts the Mother Ship, and is assigned to an assignment server. If you have the 3.25 CLI and have set the -advmethods flag (-forceasm and -verbosity 9 flags also recommended), Guha has said that there is a chance at getting Gromacs work assignments now. They will soon make them more available to all who have set the methods flag early in the week, he said-- assuming no problems are found. If you want to help more than that, join the beta team--but be advised that while things may seem pretty solid, it is betaware and if crashes occur and such you might lose work units, etc. If you want a rock solid system and don't want to take a chance, stay with Tinker for a few days/weeks.
I am sticking away from this version until I know everything works. Will definatly use the new version when Altivec is working. We could really bump the teams output.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.