Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sinfulboi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2006
hey there im just a newbie to applescript and was wondering if there was a simple way of grabbing the url from an online source and then comparing it to one on my harddrive.

just viewing the source of the page would be a great start so if there is anyone out there who can help me... please... dont be shy ;)

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
I don;t think I'd have the patience to make something like that happen in Applescript :p :D

There are two nice little shell commands, curl and diff, that would make this kind of thing really easy. You can run those from Applescript, if you prefer.

sinfulboi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2006
thank you... i spose since i am new to the whole applescript world i am keen to try and do everything in it... but is there no easy way just to save the page source of a url to a file?

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
thank you... i spose since i am new to the whole applescript world i am keen to try and do everything in it... but is there no easy way just to save the page source of a url to a file?

Yes, with curl. You can easily call commands like curl using the AppleScript syntax:

do shell script "put your shell script here"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.