PDA

View Full Version : Random Songs Gone?

Sammis89
Dec 23, 2006, 12:03 AM
So, I was looking through my iTunes library today, and i realized that large parts of entire cd's are missing. I'll still have one or two of the songs, but the rest of the cd (all ripped cd's) is competly gone. We're talking 10 or 15 tracks just missing. I already went to my iTunes music folder and re-added all the music, and nothing happened.

What's going on?

mad jew
Dec 23, 2006, 05:27 PM
Have they ever worked in iTunes? Can QuickTime play them? :)

Sammis89
Dec 23, 2006, 05:40 PM
Have they ever worked in iTunes? Can QuickTime play them? :)

I've had the songs in my iTunes library for literally years, and I can't even find them in the iTunes music folder, which is where i ripped them to.

mad jew
Dec 23, 2006, 07:49 PM
Well, what sort of machine do you have? have you run any hard drive verification tools recently (Disk Check on a PC and Disk Utility on a Mac)? Is there other data you've lost? Do you have plenty of free space on your machine. This is sounding a bit like a case of random data loss which is most likely attributed to hardware failure (assuming you didn't delete the songs eons ago, and forget about it). The first step should probably be to back everything up. :)

benfilan
Dec 23, 2006, 08:25 PM
i've had exactly the same problem. i've noticed totally random tracks disappearing from my itunes library. whats going on?

Sammis89
Dec 23, 2006, 10:29 PM
Well, what sort of machine do you have? have you run any hard drive verification tools recently (Disk Check on a PC and Disk Utility on a Mac)? Is there other data you've lost? Do you have plenty of free space on your machine. This is sounding a bit like a case of random data loss which is most likely attributed to hardware failure (assuming you didn't delete the songs eons ago, and forget about it). The first step should probably be to back everything up. :)

It's on my pc (figures my dell would start messing with me when I switched...), and I'm running Xp. I didn't have that much free space, and I just deleted a buch of stuff so now i have like 8 gigs free.

mad jew
Dec 24, 2006, 12:59 AM
When an OS is running low on free hard drive space, it can start acting buggy and doing things like randomly deleting files to make room for more page files. 8GB free is probably the safe + realistic minimum for XP and OSX. Hopefully this was the problem, and it's not a virus that's messing your drive. Maybe do a quick scan to be sure. :)