Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mal

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
I asked about this in one of the desktop threads, but I want a little more detail, so here goes.

I have a couple photos I want to vectorize, not completely photorealistically, but like the movie A Scanner Darkly, or the commercials that have come out recently in the same style. I don't have Adobe Illustrator, which was recommended in the other thread, although I could get a demo I guess, but I do have both Macromedia Freehand and Seashore, an open-source vector editor. Has anyone tried to accomplish this effect in either of those two programs, and is it something that's very difficult to accomplish? I don't mind spending a day or two working on it, but I'm not exceptionally skilled so I'm not too sure about my potential for results if the software doesn't help me out a bit. Also, I have a tablet, would that be a good idea to use that?

Thanks in advance!

jW

dogbone

macrumors 68020
You can do it in photoshop using it's vector tools.

A simple way to do it would be to give it a bit more contrast then apply a cutout filter. You could then use the pen to trace the areas, or you could even select the flat areas with the magic want tool and convert the selcections to vectors which would allow you to enlarge it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.