PDA

View Full Version : I Gave Up My PC for a Mac

MacBytes
Dec 23, 2006, 12:26 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Reviews
Link: I Gave Up My PC for a Mac (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20061223132609)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

rikers_mailbox
Dec 23, 2006, 03:41 PM
... the MacBook's ports are all on the left side, save for the CD/DVD drive on the right. This layout prevents the dreaded "reach around" effect that occurs when ports are placed in the back of a notebook.

umm... I hope I never have to give a PC laptop the ol' "reach around". That's just gross.

mjstew33
Dec 23, 2006, 04:02 PM
umm... I hope I never have to give a PC laptop the ol' "reach around". That's just gross.

:rolleyes:

PCMacUser
Dec 23, 2006, 04:12 PM
This guy sounds to me like he's never used a computer before. The article contains some really strange statements:

"My girlfriend and I melted away almost two hours in a coffee shop this morning upon discovering the bliss that is Photo Booth."

--I think most people are bored of Photo Booth after ten minutes... aren't they?

"I was reminded of an important caveat: Macs are not compatible with some PC hardware and software. The Mac's mojo was lowered by several points. I did find, however, that my Macbook was compatible with several games littered about my cubicle. This would be good news if I were still a hardcore gamer."

--So here he's suggesting that some PC software, particularly games, will run under OS X? Um, I think not. There's the whole OS issue to think of, not to mention the fact that the Macbook's video card won't run any 3d intensive games.

"...the majority of my music collection refused to play. Why? On my PC, I had ripped most of my CDs into the PC's WMA format, so my library is dead to me. I'm sure not repurchasing everything from iTunes."

--Surely, surely, this man has been dropped on his head.

"The one-button mouse thing has grown on me. On a PC, if I wanted to copy text, I'd highlight the words, right-click, scroll to Copy, click. On the Mac, because there is no right mouse button to click, I'm forced to highlight the text and click the Apple key and the C key-which is good."

--Yes, I can now confirm that this man has never used a computer before in his life...

luminosity
Dec 23, 2006, 05:14 PM
someone please tell him about Flip4Mac.

qbmcnabb108
Dec 23, 2006, 05:20 PM
I liked that the MacBook's three USB ports are all laid out horizontally; stacked USB ports can sometime be a little tricky.

Doesn't the MacBook only have 2 USB ports?

jsw
Dec 23, 2006, 05:21 PM
someone please tell him about Flip4Mac.
That doesn't play DRM'd files, though, does it? I think that's what he was talking about.

Overall, I thought it was a pretty fair and favorable review. He was seeing it as a Windows user would, and used it a lot more than I would have expected.

steve_hill4
Dec 23, 2006, 05:40 PM
That doesn't play DRM'd files, though, does it? I think that's what he was talking about.

Didn't he say that he ripped them from CD himself? If so, he should be able to import into iTunes for Windows on his old machine and convert to AAC/MP3. Alternatively, he could search for a file converter.

mkrishnan
Dec 23, 2006, 05:48 PM
True... he's doing fairly well for a switcher. And talking about many things that have been asked about by users here. He just seems to too rapidly jump to conclusions regarding whether or not things can be done. And his style just really irritates me for some reason.

But I think it would be good to try to compile ... not retorts, but help with the items that he posted. So I'll start.

Day 1: Pointing out the obvious, Macs have right click functionality. There are at least three major ways to get it out of the box: (a) to hold ctrl and press click; (b) to enable and use two finger right clicks; (c) to plug in a multi-button mouse. Many Mac users use Firefox and it's a perfectly valid option to explore if you end up not being happy with Safari.

Day 3: The function keys are great indeed; he should look at hot corners in the Dashboard and Exposé Preferences Pane, which is easily even more stunning. :)

Day 4: Repeating Day 1's comments regarding the mice button... there are also many other ways of moving information on Macs that are worth understanding. A biggie is drag and drop -- after highlighting something, it can be dragged to another place if it needs to be moved.

Day 8: There are a lot of great web development tools that are worth looking at, ranging from iWeb and RapidWeaver to DreamWeaver to code text editors.

Day 9: I don't know where the author is from, but the slot loading drive is a common thing in automobiles... I ripped over 200 CDs on my iBook without any problems, and so I think this is just something that seems striking the first time you see it (although I'm surprised you've never seen it in a car). It's also worth pointing out that one can eject a disc by right clicking on it and also by dragging it to the trash can (which becomes an eject icon when one does this). EDITED OUT: Apparently eject behavior for empty drives is normal for newer Macs.

Day 11: iCal can very easily be broadcast to Google Calendar, using a website called iCalExchange (http://www.icalx.com/). If SMS alarms are desired from iCal, this is also directly possible using the $10.00 shareware application iSMS (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/17172&vid=76054).

Day 12: Did you try plugging the speakers directly into the Mac and just seeing what happens? It is very true that many hardware devices are not Mac compatible. On the other hand, many of them work on Macs without needing 3rd party drivers. In this case, these speakers have limited out-of-the-box functionality (http://www.oreillynet.com/digitalmedia/blog/2006/12/logitech_z10_interactive_speak.html) on your MacBook, although it is not perfect.

Day 15: As discussed above, if you have DRM'd WMAs, there is no easy solution to get them on a Mac unless you have the ability to burn them as audio tracks to an audio CD in Windows, in which case they can be re-ripped. For non-DRM WMA, the easiest thing to do is to convert the song to AAC or MP3 in Windows using iTunes (Advanced Menu -> Convert to AAC, once you have AAC set as your format; the same option becomes convert to MP3 if this is your default format). Otherwise there are also many other options to convert songs from WMA to MP3 or AAC on the Mac directly. iTunes is of course also able to rip songs from CDs itself -- it is not by any means limited to songs purchased at the iTunes Music Store.

jsw
Dec 23, 2006, 05:53 PM
Day 9: I don't know where the author is from, but the slot loading drive is a common thing in automobiles... I ripped over 200 CDs on my iBook without any problems, and so I think this is just something that seems striking the first time you see it (although I'm surprised you've never seen it in a car). It's also worth pointing out that one can eject a disc by right clicking on it and also by dragging it to the trash can (which becomes an eject icon when one does this). However, I'm not sure that the drive should be making sounds when eject is pressed and the drive is empty. This strikes me as odd. My Apple notebook does not make sounds or attempt to eject a disc unless there's actually a disc in it. So this might represent a problem with this Mac.
FWIW, unlike my PB, both my MBP and my MB attempt to eject an empty optical drive when the eject button is pressed. Irritating, but I think it must be standard (or else I have two different lappies with the same issue).

steve_hill4
Dec 23, 2006, 06:05 PM
FWIW, unlike my PB, both my MBP and my MB attempt to eject an empty optical drive when the eject button is pressed. Irritating, but I think it must be standard (or else I have two different lappies with the same issue).

Not on your own with that, (raises hand).

mkrishnan
Dec 23, 2006, 06:36 PM
Thanks for correcting me on that -- my iBook and iMac are both silent unless there's an actual disc to eject. The eject bezel does appear, though.

it5five
Dec 23, 2006, 07:22 PM
"My girlfriend and I melted away almost two hours in a coffee shop this morning upon discovering the bliss that is Photo Booth."

--I think most people are bored of Photo Booth after ten minutes... aren't they?

No. Maybe if you are messing around with it yourself, but if you have a friend or girlfriend or boyfriend with you it is a lot of fun. me and my girlfriend used Photo Booth for days on end when she first got her iMac.

winmacguy
Dec 24, 2006, 02:33 AM
Unfortunately his email address is not posted in the article otherwise I would have emailed him about a few of the things he mentions, namely the CD wma format issue.

mjstew33
Dec 24, 2006, 06:25 AM

I have the same problem. And it does get irritating, also.

gloss
Dec 24, 2006, 08:14 AM
Unfortunately his email address is not posted in the article otherwise I would have emailed him about a few of the things he mentions, namely the CD wma format issue.

This is what I was thinking. A few more pointers (DOWNLOAD QUICKSILVER KTHX) and he would have been well on his way to computing nirvana.

mkrishnan
Dec 24, 2006, 08:27 AM
This is what I was thinking. A few more pointers (DOWNLOAD QUICKSILVER KTHX) and he would have been well on his way to computing nirvana.

FWIW, I sent an e-mail through the general editorial e-mail gateway at their site letting them know this thread is here. :) If they're curious.

By the way... is this really an American magazine? Something about the language made me assume this wasn't written by an American, but when I looked at the subscription page, it was in USD and it assumed the country was the United States....

Shadow
Dec 24, 2006, 08:49 AM
No. Maybe if you are messing around with it yourself, but if you have a friend or girlfriend or boyfriend with you it is a lot of fun. me and my girlfriend used Photo Booth for days on end when she first got her iMac.

No! I played with it for about 30 mins last night on my own...sad but still found some good tricks to show on Christmas Day!

winmacguy
Dec 24, 2006, 12:35 PM
FWIW,
By the way... is this really an American magazine? Something about the language made me assume this wasn't written by an American, but when I looked at the subscription page, it was in USD and it assumed the country was the United States....

I am assuming the magazine is US based although the writer might not be.

thewhitehart
Dec 24, 2006, 01:10 PM
I think it's a genuinely honest review. It's great to hear about good experiences from people first trying out a mac, and he's obviously not a mac fanboy writing white propaganda. He called the dock a 'taskbar'. :)

thewhitehart
Dec 24, 2006, 01:11 PM
I am assuming the magazine is US based although the writer might not be.

The author is probably a New Yorker. He's a Knicks fan, and knew about 'the fight'.

SPUY767
Dec 24, 2006, 01:43 PM
Complaining that you bought a bunch of music in WMA format and it won't play is like complaining that you bought a bunch of hydrogen fuel and can't use it in your Volkswagen. I know I will get lambasted for this, but there is no reason not to use iTunes, it is far and away the BEST way to listen to, store, and organize your music. The only thing I don't like about iTunes is that it doesn't DAO disks, it TAOs them which leads to slight but perceptable gaps in gapless tracks. Easy way around that is to drag songs directly from iTunes into Toast. No excuses.

Snowy_River
Dec 24, 2006, 06:47 PM
"I was reminded of an important caveat: Macs are not compatible with some PC hardware and software. The Mac's mojo was lowered by several points. I did find, however, that my Macbook was compatible with several games littered about my cubicle. This would be good news if I were still a hardcore gamer."

--So here he's suggesting that some PC software, particularly games, will run under OS X? Um, I think not. There's the whole OS issue to think of, not to mention the fact that the Macbook's video card won't run any 3d intensive games.

No, he's saying some games he has around his cubicle played on his Mac. That's not all that surprising, regardless of what you might think. A lot of low end games (i.e. card games, simple board games, etc.) have both Mac and PC versions in one package, on one disk. So, if he had such games in his office, then he'd find that they played on his Mac. Simple as that.

(Note: He didn't say that he found that his Mac could play all the games he had in his cubicle, only some of them...)

Go easy on him. Just because he's not a power user doesn't mean that he's never used a computer before. Sheesh. :rolleyes:

michaelsaxon
Dec 24, 2006, 08:04 PM
This sounds like an article my dad would write if he switched to Mac and certainly not one written by someone with much computer experience. Then again, perhaps that is what they were after...

shamino
Dec 26, 2006, 04:24 PM
Didn't he say that he ripped them from CD himself? If so, he should be able to import into iTunes for Windows on his old machine and convert to AAC/MP3. Alternatively, he could search for a file converter.
Unless he ripped them with Windows Media Player set to its default - which is to apply DRM to the tracks you rip yourself, making them unplayable on any other computer.

Just another brain-dead Microsoft "feature".

This is by design, and you don't want it to change.

Every now and then, you come across a corrupt disc that Mac OS doesn't recognize and can't mount on the desktop. By making the eject button perform an unconditional eject, it will pop out that disc. If the system would only send the eject command when an icon is on the desktop, you'd have to reboot in order to eject the disc. (Of course, I've seen discs where this ends up being necessary anyway....)
Complaining that you bought a bunch of music in WMA format and it won't play ...
He was talking about songs he ripped himself. So he can either re-rip them into iTunes (producing the best quality) or have iTunes convert them (lower quality and won't work if his Windows box applied DRM when he ripped the tracks.)

In either case, he's completely wrong when he says he'd have to purchase them from iTMS. That's just a case of him not having any clue whatsoever.

Cloudgazer
Dec 27, 2006, 03:46 AM
I thought it was a pretty good review.

I imagine his experiences would be shared by anybody switching to mac.
The wrong terminology (task bar, etc), the incompatibility with wma files, etc.

I liked that it wasn't written from either a PC or Mac fanboy perspective.
One of the nicest 'user' reviews I've read.

Irish Dave
Dec 27, 2006, 04:16 AM
Doesn't the MacBook only have 2 USB ports?
Yeep, mine had only two at the last count.

Dave :cool:

Irish Dave
Dec 27, 2006, 04:21 AM
Thanks for correcting me on that -- my iBook and iMac are both silent unless there's an actual disc to eject. The eject bezel does appear, though.
Mine too. Not a sound unless there is a disk to eject.

Dave :)