PDA

View Full Version : sWITCHer will never go back to wint(H)ELL

shycoy
May 6, 2003, 10:40 AM
After trying windows, I moved to Linux which was really stable at first but a bit difficult for a beginner like me to debug...

I bought myself a 12" iBook 2 years ago because I had to buy a computer for I was going to travel for 2 years.
I decided to ask some friends of mine about laptops and things like that and one of them had a PowerBook (Pismo) : I fell in love. After some search, I found that there was a 'cheaper' model : iBooks !
I went to the apple store on the internet, compared prices and thought about what i really needed.
When I finally decided myself, the new iBook came out and I really put my self into it and bought one !!!!!
That was the first retail version of MAC OS X. A bit slow indeed, but the MAC OS 9 was so great compared to the windows 98 system I had (reinstalled every 6 months ! ! !).
I installed MAC OS 9 and X and started with the X system as soon as I could...a bit sluggish, but so beautiful !!!!
Since I've had my iBook, i can do far more things, i've become good at unix and installed a database using MySQL and a mailserver without any problem...and so many other things that run so smoothly.
I then decided to install Linux again and found it very easy to debug and configure for MY needs !!! i know have both systems (the Linux box is the former Windaz machine !) and both are on the ethernet modem connected to the internet...no fuss...
The MAC OS X system is the best system i've ever used and i moved 3 friend of mine to the MAC with me !!! they were amazed by the power of a so small machine and by the FCP software...

As I told them : it's a bit expensive at first, but at least, you won't have to re-install the system every now or worry about whether the system will start up after you've installed an update !!!

I'm sorry for those of you who had problems with their MACs, but hardware problems DO HAPPEN unfortunately so don't get away from MACs because you had an infortunate story with one of them...give the APPLE a chance...join the worms inside....

This forum is as great as the MAC OS...

sparkleytone
May 6, 2003, 04:51 PM
thats awesome...your switch went kinda like mine did. my iBook 12" has proven to me that Mac is the way to go.

but please...for the love of all of us macheads....don't say MAC, say Mac.

scem0
May 6, 2003, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by sparkleytone
thats awesome...your switch went kinda like mine did. my iBook 12" has proven to me that Mac is the way to go.

that's a pet peeve of mine too.

Congrats on your switch. :)

applemacdude
May 6, 2003, 08:45 PM
cangrats on your switch. MACS RULE!!!

phrancpharmD
May 6, 2003, 09:30 PM
I've recently switched myself (12" iBook, as a matter of fact) and have seen so many references to Linux and Unix and I really have no idea what the difference is between them or what they can do for me. Any suggestions on where to start?

shycoy
May 7, 2003, 07:08 AM
i was so happy trying to say how great the switch was that if I could i would put all the letters in CAPITAL ;-) but sorry again, I won't...

what's the difference anyway ?:cool:

lmalave
May 7, 2003, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by sparkleytone

Ha! That makes 3 of us. I also disliked Windows, installed Linux (repeatedly) on my machines, got sick of struggling to get simple things to work. OS X is awesome. It's unprecedented: a user-friendly Unix. Anyone from a hardcore engineer to my grandma could use it and enjoy it. I bought my iBook with the November revisions. It's by far the best computer purchase I ever made :D

scem0
May 7, 2003, 11:01 PM
Also, I would like to add that I once said the exact same thing
and I am now using a PC. So just be prepared. ;)

shycoy
May 8, 2003, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by scem0
Also, I would like to add that I once said the exact same thing
and I am now using a PC. So just be prepared. ;)
I'd like to say that I sometimes use a peecee under windaz XP at work and even if it boots faster that any other OS i've ever used, it's still full of bugzzzzzzzzz and really anoying when you want to work on a simple word document and it just freezes !!!! There's NO WAY i'm gonna guy one after seeing things like that happening every now and then...
my iBook has not let me down for now 2 years, NEVER, i might be VERY lucky but it does the task I want even FCP works fine with the limited hard drive space I have...i'm considering to buy a PowerMac soon, but still waiting for the 970 or another processor so I can make a real upgrade...because SOMETHING is on its way from Apple and I want ONE...
let's be real here : windaz sucks and mac rules ! ! ! end of discussion :D

Digidesign
May 8, 2003, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by shycoy
i was so happy trying to say how great the switch was that if I could i would put all the letters in CAPITAL ;-) but sorry again, I won't...

what's the difference anyway ?:cool:

In networking there is a MAC address, which is the unique hardware number assigned to a computer.

Macs, on the other hands, are unique computers assigned to a lucky number of people like us! :D

shycoy
May 8, 2003, 01:10 PM
ok, i've noticed that difference and promiss not to make the same mistake again...
and see, using Macs have taught me a lot in the computing world...even that there is something called MAC in the networking world:D take care all of you...