PDA

View Full Version : Regarding reverse transfer of songs

analog4ndy
Dec 23, 2006, 10:36 PM
I viewed the posts until my eyes hurt, but couldnt find the answer haha. however ill still ask this question even though its probably considered by many as a dumb one.

I have a 30 gig 5th gen ipod video on which i have six or seven gigs of music. Some time back, my computer on which all the music was stored crashed unexpectedly and i lost along with a term paper, all of my music. However I still have all the music on the ipod obviously, I just charge it with a regular ac jack charger. The only reason for this that I was afraid that because itunes automatically syncs up your ipod and asks you to update, i was afraid id lose everything especially considering there is music on it that i desperately want to save.

I guess my question is...

Once I get my new computer and install itunes, is there a program or a way to reverse the upload of songs? so as to be able to take the songs on my ipod and load them on to a new computer. If its a quick fix, im obviously an idiot and ill accept that. If there is a neccessary application to do this, I'm willing to dld it.

Thanks very much

bearbo
Dec 23, 2006, 10:55 PM
I viewed the posts until my eyes hurt, but couldnt find the answer haha. however ill still ask this question even though its probably considered by many as a dumb one.

I have a 30 gig 5th gen ipod video on which i have six or seven gigs of music. Some time back, my computer on which all the music was stored crashed unexpectedly and i lost along with a term paper, all of my music. However I still have all the music on the ipod obviously, I just charge it with a regular ac jack charger. The only reason for this that I was afraid that because itunes automatically syncs up your ipod and asks you to update, i was afraid id lose everything especially considering there is music on it that i desperately want to save.

I guess my question is...

Once I get my new computer and install itunes, is there a program or a way to reverse the upload of songs? so as to be able to take the songs on my ipod and load them on to a new computer. If its a quick fix, im obviously an idiot and ill accept that. If there is a neccessary application to do this, I'm willing to dld it.

Thanks very much

i'm sure there's a app out there to do that, i just dont know it.. however i did try to manually perform that once, it wasn't the most fun thing i can tell you...

go into terminal and browse your ipod, (or make sure you see the hidden files and browse ipod with finder).. and there is a folder there storing all the songs, in some systematic names (not your original song file name).. but if you drag them all into itunes, most them should be recognized nicely.

nitynate
Dec 23, 2006, 10:56 PM
Senuti is my personal favorite. :)

balamw
Dec 23, 2006, 10:59 PM
Plenty of suggestions here: http://guides.macrumors.com/Recovering_Songs_from_an_iPod

B

bmb012
Dec 23, 2006, 11:26 PM
My favorite: http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/19890

Just turn on that copy to iTunes option in iTunes and add everything to library like I was a disk.

dukebound85
Dec 23, 2006, 11:31 PM
i second senuti

analog4ndy
Dec 26, 2006, 08:09 AM
thanks everyone,

i'll probably use a different program other than senuti because i have windows and not mac os and i'm pretty sure senuti is only for macs.

Thanks again!

balamw
Dec 26, 2006, 09:39 AM
i'll probably use a different program other than senuti because i have windows and not mac os and i'm pretty sure senuti is only for macs.
The guide I linked had plenty of Windows options. Hope one works out for you.

B

analog4ndy
Dec 26, 2006, 10:09 AM
Still having trouble using programs like ipodrip, however when installing, it needs a .net program which i dld however augment length was wrong and even though the program says it can attempt to continue, it still does not successfully lods. sharepod requires you to copy its executable into the ipod directory which i did but an unexpected error occurs.

anapod works but i can only do 25 songs,

i was wondering what the manual way to transfer the songs was. I need the correct procedure for windows xp, not mac os.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

thispart
Dec 26, 2006, 10:34 AM
The best program I have used it called "Ephpod" you can find it on download.com or pretty much anywhere on Google, its very simple and easy to use. I have the same iPod as you and I am going through the same thing with computer's also.

The program is free btw

XP Defector
Dec 26, 2006, 10:50 AM
iPodDisk (OSX) or iPod Agent (XP and OSX).

RECD Designz
Dec 26, 2006, 12:19 PM
Not free but I have heard good things about this one:

CopyPod (http://www.copypod.net/)

Artful Dodger
Dec 27, 2006, 09:44 AM
I also was lucky and got a 30GB video iPod on X-mas and have been looking at iPod.iTunes by findleydesigns.com because it claims to also handle videos as well.
If any one has more info about the video aspect of this or has the little app. please give a good or bad piece of input.
I use to use PodUtil with my last Nano so the music part isn't an issue just making sure the video can be restored to my iMac if something bad should happen ;)
Thanks for the links to the other apps. as well :D