PDA

View Full Version : Any tips for traveling with a laptop?

crazycat
Dec 24, 2006, 03:02 AM
When i travel i always carry my laptop, i take it from home to the airpot and then to the hotel. Thats very straight forward but in 4 days i will going on a euro trip, which mean lots of trains to catch and lots of countries. The plan is to visit 5 countries spending about this many days in each:

- London 5 day
- Main land euro 8-9 days visiting 3 countries passing though 1
- Bck to London then back home.

So as you see there will be a lot of trains some up to 6 hours and the least amount time i will be spending in any country will be 2 days.

I will be using my laptop for watching movies/tv shows both in the trains and where there is nothing to do, aswell as some heavy iPhoto.

I have a nice backpack which has everything i need in it (charger, external HD's, blank media, iKlean and ipod.) I was just wondring if i am missing something or if i should do something that i have not doen yet.

Any tips will go a far way since i know there are some MacRumors who travel and have some knowlage to give.

Thanks.

puckhead193
Dec 24, 2006, 03:14 AM
extra battery ;) - to save power make sure you turn the brightness down on your screen as far as you can still see good and make sure you turn off the wifi and bluetooth - i forgot to do that once OUCH

Abstract
Dec 24, 2006, 06:58 AM
Nothing really.

Are you staying at hostels? If you are, never EVER take it out at the hostel or let anyone know you have one, or even own one. Go to a cafe or something if you want to move your photos from you camera to your computer.

Also, you don't need extra HDs with an "s" at the end to indicate a plural. Why are you carrying so much stuff? Leave most of it at home, man. Ah hell, I should take my own advice.

Anyway, I'm in Japan right now (travelling and posting at MacRumours......ah, the life!), and will be until January 6th/7th, and I have my MacBook with me.

Chundles
Dec 24, 2006, 07:03 AM
1. Pack as light as you can.
2. Get a really good laptop bag - preferably one that doesn't scream "hey look I'm a laptop bag."
3. Pack the laptop so that the screen is in the least amount of danger.
4. Plug in to the power wherever you can.
5. Rip movies to the HDD before you leave instead of watching DVDs.

mkrishnan
Dec 24, 2006, 07:25 AM
2. Get a really good laptop bag - preferably one that doesn't scream "hey look I'm a laptop bag."

Ever since 9/11, talking bags have *really* freaked out the security personnel. :(

So much good advice in this thread, though, seriously! :)

POHeerwig
Dec 24, 2006, 08:03 AM
Electrical adaptors?
Hopefully you have these...and before plugging in I suppose I'd want to make sure it was ok amp-wise (in otherwords, that you don't need to plug it into a power converter first).

Have a GREAT time on your trip! Have everything you need to upload all those photos you're bound to take? :)

EMKoper
Dec 24, 2006, 12:22 PM
Electrical adaptors?
Hopefully you have these...and before plugging in I suppose I'd want to make sure it was ok amp-wise (in otherwords, that you don't need to plug it into a power converter first).
I think all apple laptop power bricks are dual-voltage (automatic switching ... mine says 100-240 Volts, 50/60 Hz, and has worked OK without a converter in England, France, and China) ... check to see what it says on the brick. If that is the case, all you need is a plug adaptor ... but if you are traveling with electronics you probably want a good set of adaptors and converters that cover all the possibilities since you'll probably have lots of things to charge in the evening ....

Mammoth
Dec 24, 2006, 01:19 PM
Get an Apple World Travel Adapter Kit, if you REALLY want to protect your laptop, a Pelican laptop case, otherwise a nice Incase sleeve. Don't forget an extra battery and a lock!

crazycat
Dec 25, 2006, 02:45 AM
Thanks for the great tips, i got everything ready (thank god) and i am ready laptop in hand.