Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

poppe

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
Hello,

I'm a film student and I am currently working on the menu screen for my short using DVD studio pro. I was wondering if someone could help me design a good background graphics. Right now in DVD studio pro I'm using a menu system that looks like old film (flickering and scratchy).

My film is called "The Broadcast"

So for the background I would like an old TV (70's era) in the right hand side. It is all black surrounding the TV Except for its flicker once and awhile illuminating the wood floors in front of it.

Would anyone be able to make this? You would get credit on the short plus a copy of the short.

poppe

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
old%20tv.jpg

Something like this is what I am going for in regards to the TV's look

mufflon

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2006
well the best way to manage this is by doing it yourself, some easy manipulation with photoshop (dvdstudiopro is still able to load layers, right?) and you should more or less be there yourself - more rewarding imo for your future work imo :)

Oh and in what other way did you enviosion the rest of the menu? Moving content on the tv? Some spectacular background?

poppe

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
well the best way to manage this is by doing it yourself, some easy manipulation with photoshop (dvdstudiopro is still able to load layers, right?) and you should more or less be there yourself - more rewarding imo for your future work imo :)

Oh and in what other way did you enviosion the rest of the menu? Moving content on the tv? Some spectacular background?

Oh god I wish I could do this but I have no room in my budget to buy Photoshop. I just downloaded GIMP and will try to figure out how to install it. The problem is this. I could do the work and be very satisfied that I conquered Photoshop but still only have a lame picture I do not want... Or I figured why not give someone who is trying to build up some credit and actually knows how to work magic do it for me?

The Menu will be as following:

First layer would be the TV flickering a white light (not off and on flickering but more like something is on the television) The background from the TV and even the Foreground wold be black. Only the middle ground would be the TV almost silhouetted with the flickering to light up the wood floor. The whole picture would have a blueish tint because the room is actually lit with some 1 k's with dark dark blue gels to give off as night.

The Second layer would then be the Scratchy film look.

The menu system would be not at the very bottom but towards the bottom in the lower half.

As the DVD Menu played and the scratchy film look and the TV flickered off a brightness or a whiteness it the whole menu would flash to a black and white picture of the Emergency Broadcasting Network warning sign they put on TV's when there was an emergency/broadcast coming. As it came back to the TV and the scratchy film look a new menu option would be available.

There are only 3 menu options so it would not be some long drawn out menu system.

I just know I am gonna have so much trouble creating all this...

Mydriasis

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2005
Well yes, it is just a photoshop file with different layer comps, and I used ImageReady to make the tween frames. So it's basically an animated gif.

I try never to exceed 10min on a preview. So this is just a really quick PS file (The Layers are as follows: black backround, TV, picture of wood floor, TV-Noise, white layer in overlay mode for lighting, a couple masks and thats it).

If I were really making this, I'd probably use AE.

Glad you like it though. I am working on a website with a ton of all free video tutorials on stuff like this, I let you know when it's up and running.

poppe

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
Is this the kind of thing you mean?

tvdvdhttp://www.zimmerfamily.de/sebastian/motion/tvdvd

I made this fairly quick in PS and ImageReady. I don't know how large you neen it. This is 720vp.

Holy crap. Thats fricken amazing!! Thats exactly how I wanted it! The wood floor even looks like the wood floor we used in the shoot.

Would you be able to add a blueish tint to it the whole image? We had some pretty dark blue lights on the set to represent the moon. So there isn't really any whites. Its all blueish tints.

Also would you let me have that either way if you do add the blue or don't (I know I can click the save as QT movie, but I'm asking for your permission to take it)? It's exactly how I wanted. If yes, I'll PM you to get your information so you can get credit for this and also get a copy of the DVD when it is done in March.

Mydriasis

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2005
Sure you can use it. Thats why I made it. You don't even have to give me credit for it. I dont know where that image of the tv came from though, make sure you have the rights to use it. The wooden floor is from a picture of my living room, so your free to use that.

Is this blue enough: http://www.zimmerfamily.de/sebastian/motion/tvdvd_blue.html

Tell me what size and framerate you need it in.

What programs do you have? You can probably make something exactly like (or better) with the software you already have. Maybe I can tell you how? (only if you want, of course):)

poppe

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
Sure you can use it. Thats why I made it. You don't even have to give me credit for it. I dont know where that image of the tv came from though, make sure you have the rights to use it. The wooden floor is from a picture of my living room, so your free to use that.

Is this blue enough: http://www.zimmerfamily.de/sebastian/motion/tvdvd_blue.html

Tell me what size and framerate you need it in.

What programs do you have? You can probably make something exactly like (or better) with the software you already have. Maybe I can tell you how? (only if you want, of course):)

Did you find that image? Or was that an Image i posted? I probably should find a way that I can get the rights to it because we will be putting this short in film festivals.

Are you sure you don't want credit? You are welcome to have credit and I'd b more than happy to give you credit.

Size: SD would be fine. But 720p is just as fine as well. We shot it in 16:9 but in standard defintion.

Framerate. 24 progressive would be ideal.

Thanks for the Blue footage. It's a perfect blue. It's like you were on our set haha.

As for software: I have nothing. Literally I have the iLife suite, and Final Cut Studio for multimedia suites. Need to get photoshop or something. I tried GIMP but I couldn't get it to install; only download to the computer.

Thanks for all your help so much!! I'll try to post a mov file of the menu system when it is completed.

Mydriasis

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2005
The image of the television was the one you posted here.

If you have Final Cut Studio then you have Motion! You can download a zip file (ca. 400kb) with a motion project that does about the same thing that I did in PS at http://www.zimmerfamily.de/sebastian/motion/tvdvd_blue.html.

Check out the different Layers, Filters and Masks I used to get the effect. Feel free to alter it in any way you wish.

And yes, If you are a film student and want to do effects then you will eventually need to get Photoshop.

Have fun. :)

poppe

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills

If you have Final Cut Studio then you have Motion! You can download a zip file (ca. 400kb) with a motion project that does about the same thing that I did in PS at http://www.zimmerfamily.de/sebastian/motion/tvdvd_blue.html.

Check out the different Layers, Filters and Masks I used to get the effect. Feel free to alter it in any way you wish.

And yes, If you are a film student and want to do effects then you will eventually need to get Photoshop.

Oh yeah I did post that... duh me. I was trying to do it in motion, but I've been on vacation so I left all my books about how to do motion at home. I was thinking it might be possible but wasn't sure.

What did you use to light the screen? And what did you do to make the floor look like it became brighter as the screen turned on?

Thank you again!

techster85

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2006
Lubbock, TX

and you might be well advised to go buy AE 7 when it goes universal (if that matters to you). Photoshop can do some cool stuff, but AE is AWESOME at doing the type of stuff you would want to do with complicated dvd menus...

Mydriasis

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2005
As you know, motion is a layer based none linear video editing and effects program. This means you can do alot of the same stuff you can do in Photoshop (a layer based pixel editing program), except that you have the added abilty to change properties (or effects) over time.

In this example I used keyframes to controll property settings over time. I did this on purpose because most people find in easier to 'see' what is changing (graphical timeline). Motion however has a much more powerful method, called behaviors. There are some good video tutorials on the apple website and on the dvd included in Final Cut Studio, take a look at them if you are interested and want to learn more.

Anyways, for the lighting I:

1. created a new empty layer
  2. drew a custom shape using the pen tool; fill color white, overlay blending mode, and soft edges
  3. set keyframes to changed the opacity of the shape over time

Thats it! :)

I did the same thing to the shadows but I also changed their size of time.

Once you get the idea its all really easy, like I said in took maybe 10min. (of course you could spend hours to get it perfect)

Take a look at the 'Layers panel' and twirl down all the arrows to see what effects I applied. You can see the keyframes in the 'Keyframe-editor' and all the other properties in the 'Properties Panel'. You can use the tools at the top to draw shapes, make masks, zoom, etc.

If you have more question feel free to ask and have fun.

Attachments

• Motionexplanation.jpg
    Motionexplanation.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 146

poppe

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
As you know, motion is a layer based none linear video editing and effects program. This means you can do alot of the same stuff you can do in Photoshop (a layer based pixel editing program), except that you have the added abilty to change properties (or effects) over time.

In this example I used keyframes to controll property settings over time. I did this on purpose because most people find in easier to 'see' what is changing (graphical timeline). Motion however has a much more powerful method, called behaviors. There are some good video tutorials on the apple website and on the dvd included in Final Cut Studio, take a look at them if you are interested and want to learn more.

Anyways, for the lighting I:

1. created a new empty layer
  2. drew a custom shape using the pen tool; fill color white, overlay blending mode, and soft edges
  3. set keyframes to changed the opacity of the shape over time

Thats it! :)

I did the same thing to the shadows but I also changed their size of time.

Once you get the idea its all really easy, like I said in took maybe 10min. (of course you could spend hours to get it perfect)

Take a look at the 'Layers panel' and twirl down all the arrows to see what effects I applied. You can see the keyframes in the 'Keyframe-editor' and all the other properties in the 'Properties Panel'. You can use the tools at the top to draw shapes, make masks, zoom, etc.

If you have more question feel free to ask and have fun.

Wow thats amazing. Definitely gonna have to stop putting of the Final Cut Studio Tutorials and DVD help!

Ok crap heres the question now:

I took the image from out of motion and set it in to DVD Studio Pro. The problem is is that it keeps laying the image as a square image and not filling the whole background...
The Image is also messed up. It looks also very weird. It comes out with out the blue filter.

What do you think I should do?

EDIT: Oh wait I figured it out... Duh me... Export.... and its perfect. Now the problem is I have to fix the timing. Its moving to fast.

Mydriasis

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2005
Sounds like your DVD menu has a 4:3 aspect ration, the motion project I made is in 16:9.

It's an easy fix though.

Find out exactly what the size and fps of your DVD menu are suppose to be.

Then create a new motion project with those settings. Most likely one of the preset will be fine but check just to make sure (Edit<Project settings).

Then go to the motion project I made, in the Layer panel, select all the layers, Edit<Copy.

Go back to the newly create project.

Edit<Paste (This should put everything into one new layer, containing lots of sublayers)

Select just that new layer.

Hold the shift key to sustain proportions and scale to the size you want it.

When your finished, export a quicktime movie. You can then easily use this in DVD Studio Pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.