Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobber205

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 15, 2005
Oregon
OMG.

My brother had been playing together with Warcraft III for weeks then suddenly today the LAN feature stopped working. :eek:

The only thing different that I can tell is when I initally rebooted my computer, the ethernet plug wasn't plugged in, that's it.

I can create a network. I can ping both machines from each other. But when I create a LAN game, the other computer can't see it.

How I hate windows XP. If I had the space to install it on my OS X partition I would. But I can't and I don't want to use that space.

Any ideas? (Initially the LAN function only started working when I turned off all firewalls. Nice job XP. Make it vunerable before working correctly. Idiot.)

EDIT: It seems I need advice on networking two XP computers...
Thanks for any advice.

hms

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2006
You may have hit the nail right on the head with the Firewall comment.
You said "initially". Have you tried that again?

XP - though you may not want to hear it - is actually an excellent "networking" platform.

It sounds more like something got reset aside from that cable getting unplugged.

contoursvt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2005
Is it possible that somehow your DHCP is not working and both computers have defaulted to a 169. ip address so they can ping each other but the game's lan function may not like being on that address?? I dont know. Just guessing. Whats the IP addresses on each computer?

By the way, as the other person said...XP and 2000 actually have excellent networking. Solid. If you dig deep, I'm sure you'll find the problem was outside of the computer ;)

OMG.

My brother had been playing together with Warcraft III for weeks then suddenly today the LAN feature stopped working. :eek:

The only thing different that I can tell is when I initally rebooted my computer, the ethernet plug wasn't plugged in, that's it.

I can create a network. I can ping both machines from each other. But when I create a LAN game, the other computer can't see it.

How I hate windows XP. If I had the space to install it on my OS X partition I would. But I can't and I don't want to use that space.

Any ideas? (Initially the LAN function only started working when I turned off all firewalls. Nice job XP. Make it vunerable before working correctly. Idiot.)

EDIT: It seems I need advice on networking two XP computers...
Thanks for any advice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.