Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kardashian

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 4, 2005
Britain.
Hey Guys, Just got an 8GB Nano but I don't have the internet in my house as BT are upgrading the lines.

I'm using a Windows computer of a relative down the road to access MR -- is there any way to burn the update to a CD and install it on my MacBook?

Kardashian

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 4, 2005
Britain.
Oopsy, I didn't bring the cable.

Another weird thing, its an 8GB, however in the 'About' screen on the 'pod and in iTunes it says my capacity is 7.45GB with 7.6GB AVAILABLE?

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Oopsy, I didn't bring the cable.

Another weird thing, its an 8GB, however in the 'About' screen on the 'pod and in iTunes it says my capacity is 7.45GB with 7.6GB AVAILABLE?

That's normal 8 hard drive GB=8 billion bytes, but 8 OS GB= 2^30 bytes=1 073 741 824 bytes. So it should have 7.45 OS GB capacity.

panoz7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
Raleigh, NC
That's normal 8 hard drive GB=8 billion bytes, but 8 OS GB= 2^30 bytes=1 073 741 824 bytes. So it should have 7.45 OS GB capacity.

Not sure if that's the problem the OP is alluding to. Note that he has more free space then capacity... which seems a little strange to me. Is that not normal?

Kardashian

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 4, 2005
Britain.
I'm on the Windows computer now, however it says in order to be updated I must restore the iPod and reset it, so its formatted for Windows.

Won't I have to restore it on my Mac then, losing my music and the update?

panoz7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
Raleigh, NC
Won't I have to restore it on my Mac then, losing my music and the update?

Nope... a windows formated iPod can be read by both windows and os x. A mac formated iPod can only be read by os x.

You won't be able to tell a difference on the mac, except when it comes time to do another update. You'll only be able to update the iPod on a PC if it is windows formatted.

sven945

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2006
Nope... a windows formated iPod can be read by both windows and os x. A mac formated iPod can only be read by os x.

You won't be able to tell a difference on the mac, except when it comes time to do another update. You'll only be able to update the iPod on a PC if it is windows formatted.

I mostly use a mac and can't really see myself syncing it with a PC (but it may happen). Are there any advantages to leaving it as mac formatted other than that it would take time to convert it from Mac to Windows formatting?

jack

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
no, unless you want to update to new software on your Mac, in which can you'll have to re-restore the iPod and return it to Mac formatting.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
I mostly use a mac and can't really see myself syncing it with a PC (but it may happen). Are there any advantages to leaving it as mac formatted other than that it would take time to convert it from Mac to Windows formatting?

The differences are most apparent in disk access mode.

FAT32/Windows: Can be used as a disk on any Windows PC or Mac
HFS+/Mac: You can install OS X to it and boot from it in a pinch

Each has its own limitations in terms of characters that are valid for the file system and file size etc...

B

Kardashian

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 4, 2005
Britain.
Thanks guys, worked a treat.

May be my Windows-hating side but.. it seemed a LOT slower transferring my music back onto my iPod after it was formatted with Windows and Synced via OSX... :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.