Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
Firstly, Merry Christmas!

the title says it all :)

i'm looking to buy a new SD card for my Canon S3. I was looking at a "PNY" brand 2.0 GB on sale from futureshop. says it's '60x' speed. is that good? is PNY a good brand?

is there a 'best' brand and type to get? i know DSLR's need super speed and i know there are 'ultra' cards etc..etc..

any help would be appreciated. i'm going to give my 512 card to 5 year old for his fisher price camera so i'm going to upgrade mine :)

cheers
keebler

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
Firstly, Merry Christmas!

the title says it all :)

i'm looking to buy a new SD card for my Canon S3. I was looking at a "PNY" brand 2.0 GB on sale from futureshop. says it's '60x' speed. is that good? is PNY a good brand?

is there a 'best' brand and type to get? i know DSLR's need super speed and i know there are 'ultra' cards etc..etc..

any help would be appreciated. i'm going to give my 512 card to 5 year old for his fisher price camera so i'm going to upgrade mine :)

cheers
keebler

60x is not incredibly fast if you want to a lot of continuous shooting. if you're just casually taking a shot or two now and then, 60x should be fine. PNY is a good brand, although if it were me, I'd go with SanDisk or Panasonic.
Hope this helps,
wmmk

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
60x is not incredibly fast if you want to a lot of continuous shooting. if you're just casually taking a shot or two now and then, 60x should be fine. PNY is a good brand, although if it were me, I'd go with SanDisk or Panasonic.
Hope this helps,
wmmk

it does help. thanks. i did some research and found that you are right...60x isn't fast. i guess i was looking at too good for a deal :) i have a sandisk now and am pleased. might just get another :)

polevault139

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2006
Illinois
I have a 1 gig PNY card for my SD600 and a 512 mb high speed card (for when i pole vault). I have never had any problems with them and I got a huge rebate.

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
Usually when a card says 60x, it means that's the minimum speed at which it transfers, so it could be faster, but nothing above it is guaranteed. For most P&S cameras, 60x should be fine. For the S3, I think it's a good card, and I don't think you'd see much of a difference with a 130x card.

I use a SanDisk Extreme II card (one of the dual-USB cards, that plugs into a USB slot), and it works fine for me. The USB feature is convenient, but if you're not careful, you can break the card.

I just check http://www.dealram.com for low prices online (buy.com has a deal if you use google checkout), and local retail stores for deals too. Just make sure you know what you're getting before hand. Some cheaper cards can be absolute crap.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
Usually when a card says 60x, it means that's the minimum speed at which it transfers, so it could be faster, but nothing above it is guaranteed. For most P&S cameras, 60x should be fine. For the S3, I think it's a good card, and I don't think you'd see much of a difference with a 130x card.

I use a SanDisk Extreme II card (one of the dual-USB cards, that plugs into a USB slot), and it works fine for me. The USB feature is convenient, but if you're not careful, you can break the card.

I just check http://www.dealram.com for low prices online (buy.com has a deal if you use google checkout), and local retail stores for deals too. Just make sure you know what you're getting before hand. Some cheaper cards can be absolute crap.

thanks for the info.

i'm looking at these ones:

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pr...665000FS10058295&catid=11433&logon=&langid=EN

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=2315935&sku=T555-1010

so hard to decide. I have a sandisk and it's been solid for me. Hard to shy away, yet $20 or $30 for a card isn't had to bite if the card fails on me. (that said, precious lost photos would drive me nuts too :)

Cheers,
Keebler

shieldyoureyes

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2005
Uppsala, Sweden
I've had good luck with my Transcend 80x cards. I've had 2 1GB cards for about 8 months and not a problem with them yet. I got them for ~$22 and they are plenty fast for my D50, my buffer clears nice and fast.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
thanks for the input folks. i think i'm going to buy the atp card from futureshop. seems to be a good price, decent speed and good size (2 GBs).

cheers and happy New Year!
Keebler

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.