PDA

View Full Version : iBook or Powerbook for High School?

iAdam
May 6, 2003, 05:26 PM
Although I'm unfortunatly typing this on a PC I have been a Apple fan scence i started useing them at school, using iMovie, and Techfair. I'm starting my Freshman year of highschool next year and I wanna by a laptop for school but i can't decide weither i should get a iBook or Powerbook. Either way I'm gonna get a
Combo Drive and an Airport (Extreme) Card. If i did get a Powerbook it would be 12" with a A.P. Card. I think that a iBook would be just fine for text documents ect. but I also have a nice digital camra and wanna do some photo and movie editing taking advange of iPhoto and iMovie. I do think that the G4 would be nicer for that. Is the battery life shorter on the Powerbooks becouse of the G4? And how hot does it realy get?

DakotaGuy
May 6, 2003, 05:42 PM
I have an iBook that I use around school and I love it. A fellow teacher just bought a new 12" Powerbook, nice computer, but after she added a few things it ran well over $2K! If price matters to you, for running things like iPhoto and iMovie, I think you will find a new 900Mhz iBook to be just fine and with the few hundreds you save...you can put it away in an account for college. iBook is just a much better value and don't let the G3 scare you, 900Mhz is actually clocking higher then the G4 in the 12" Powerbook.

I think you will see the 900Mhz iBook actually take the 12" 867Mhz Powerbook in a few benchmarks. It all depends on what you want to spend. Just my 0.02

iElvis
May 6, 2003, 05:48 PM
iAdam,
I'm a junior in high school. And a major Apple fan. So far i've gotten by with the school computers...all PC, and the family PC at home. If you have access to a computer whenever you need it, i'd suggest you wait a few years to buy a laptop. I do photo editing and work on my website on the family PC, and its about 5years old. I don't have any use for my own laptop yet.

Anything that is school related, I can do on the school computers and anything not school related. I've yet to take a class that they have required me to have my own desktop/laptop. And i've taken many computer classes including CAD and Computer Repair.

Unless you seriously have to have a laptop, and can afford it, i'd go with the Powerbook. But if you can wait, and i suggest you do, then wait because Apple should have some nice updates for their whole line-up soon (PPC 970).

Well thats my opinion, hope it helps.

iAdam
May 6, 2003, 05:50 PM
I forgot to say that I probly wont buy it til a few weeks before school starts so if you know of any upcoming updates that would be helpful. I know the iBook was just updated, but how long do you think util there are Powerbook updates.

As far as price I figure i'f i'm gonna spend money on a computer I would rather spend a few hundrend extra if it's worth it. I would probly spend between $1,500-$2,000 on it.

I have used iBooks quite a bit at school. Each building has a 20 computer iBook lab and each teachers lounge has one. But I havn't used a powerbook yet, although I saw a few at techfair. That was heaven becouse for once the people there are 85% Mac users and 15% PC. In my grade of 140 kids probly 3 realy understand why Macs are better, oh well.

hugemullens
May 6, 2003, 05:53 PM
dude, the EXACT same question are right next to each other. Read other post people....... Anyways, ibook is perfect. Great price, plenty of power. Unless you plan to do hardcore photoshop and video editing, ibook all the way.

iAdam
May 6, 2003, 05:58 PM
I do understand what your saying but there are reasons for me to get one soon. I have a brother a couple years younger then me who could also use it eventualy when I buy a new one down the road. I'm also a one of those "gifted" nerds who have taken the ACT ect. I'm in things like Mock Trail (If you've heard of it) and other achidemic compititions like that. Also I would like that fact for long term asignments being able to work on it both at school and at home.

NW80pdx
May 6, 2003, 06:06 PM
I would say go for an iBook. if money isn't an object than go with the AlBook (12" powerbook). However; the iBook is one of those computers than you won't feel bad about replacing in a couple years, since its bound to get rough use (i.e. backpack).. the AlBook is just too nice to ding and stratch up.. the 900mhz iBook runs all the iprograms you need just fine, just make sure you get at least 512mb or more of ram...

janey
May 6, 2003, 06:17 PM
depends on what you're using it for...get the cheapest one that suits your needs and then get another one when you feel like it...or do the same thing that my bf did: buy the top of the line model and get applecare, then get a new computer at the end of the three years.

Pismo
May 6, 2003, 06:59 PM
Do you plan on bringing the laptop to your school to use in class? If so, I suggest that you never let it leave your sight. Also, make sure it's insured. Anything can happen in highschool.

Moe
May 6, 2003, 07:07 PM
There's about $500 difference between virtually identically performing machines (except for the PB heat), similarly equipped.

And keep in mind you're gonna have to throw some of that $500 away when you pull out the 128MB stick from the 256MB PB to replace it with a 512MB just as you'd add to the iBook.

Unless there's some overwhelming reason you have to have AE vs AP, or REALLY need Bluetooth internal vs on a USB dongle, the iMac is currently the clear choice.

However, as with the G4 eMacs obsoleting the 15" iMac at a lower price, don't be surprised if the iBooks get the G4 this summer, obsoleting the current 12" PB (which I don't really consider to be a "Power" series computer without Level 3 cache).

If you go to school with a briefcase, the PB fits that "corporate" image better. The iMac looks made for a backpack.

iAdam
May 6, 2003, 10:07 PM
I think that the iBook looks better becouse it is so close, will do all of my needs great and is cheeper. I can use that money towards something useful such as an iPod

tazo
May 6, 2003, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by iAdam
I do understand what your saying but there are reasons for me to get one soon. I have a brother a couple years younger then me who could also use it eventualy when I buy a new one down the road. I'm also a one of those "gifted" nerds who have taken the ACT ect. I'm in things like Mock Trail (If you've heard of it) and other achidemic compititions like that. Also I would like that fact for long term asignments being able to work on it both at school and at home.

i am also in mock trial :) I am not deadset on which side I represent although I usually defense :)

illumin8
May 7, 2003, 12:04 AM
I'm in things like Mock Trail (If you've heard of it) and other achidemic compititions like that.

Screw the iBook... learn to spell academic first... :D

Just kidding... I think right now the 900 mhz. iBook is the sweet spot.

I was in mock trials in high school too (many years ago)... Fun stuff.

iAdam
May 7, 2003, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by illumin8
Screw the iBook... learn to spell academic first... :D

Yeah, spelling is my weak point, thats another reason why i need a iBook. There isn't spell check on pen and paper. Plus my handwritting is so bad.

TMJ1974
May 7, 2003, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by Moe
However, as with the G4 eMacs obsoleting the 15" iMac at a lower price, don't be surprised if the iBooks get the G4 this summer, obsoleting the current 12" PB (which I don't really consider to be a "Power" series computer without Level 3 cache).

If you put a G4 in the current iBook (or any plastic case iBook) it would melt, literally. The iBook would have to be some kind of metal to use the G4. Even then, the 12" PowerBook runs pretty hot, in my opinion.

I agree with the L3 cache comment.

Anyway, to the question -- I've used the iBook and think it would be just fine for High School. The only reason I might get a PB to finish college is my major is Simulation and Digital Entertainment....all the programs that actually benefit from the G4.

Tim

iAdam
May 7, 2003, 07:51 PM
How is the Powerbook's battery life? Is it shorter 'cuz of the g4?

maracz
May 8, 2003, 11:34 AM
iBook all the way!

First thing of all....does the Powerbook have anything that the iBook doesn't and you need? Probably not if you're just a high school sudent. The programs you will be running will not work that much faster on a G4 than on a G3. Games work on clockspeed, and so the average game will as fast or faster on a 900 iBook than a 867 Powerbook. But even the 800 is alright. Unless you are really rich and have a high powered internet connection, or attend a school with one (publics schools and most high schools won't have anything beyond what the airport can ahndle) you will nto see much of a difference.

I have my iBook, and am very happy with it. I've used a Powerbook 12" a few times as well....and sure it's better...that's why it costs more. But worth that much more money? Nope. Get an iBook. For the price of the Powerbook you can get that and alot of other stuff like an external LCD monitor or an iPod or other stuff.

holy MAC!
May 8, 2003, 03:33 PM
i am in the exact situation you are in except i am a year older than you.

1) don't save the money!!!! those extra hundreds will look like crap next to the college tuition.... so spend it and enjoy it....

2) if you are a student... you NEED (as i am saving up for) an ipod. so if 1500-2000 is all you can spare... get a maxed out ibook and a 15 gig ipod.... sweet

3) i do some web design so i need altivec for photoshop, but if you are just gonna do some iphoto and imovie edites once in a while... get an ibook

4) the airport range is important to you... if you are in highschool... your school should have a wireless network... and you would want an ibook if you want to walk around your school and still get reception.....

but the only thing that should sway you is the ability to add on an IPOD and still stay inside your price range... so i would buy an IBOOK and then replace it when you are in college with those nice college offers.....

iAdam
May 8, 2003, 04:03 PM
Yeah, 90% of my school is covered with wireless internet

aafuss1
May 8, 2003, 04:05 PM
I'd suggest the iBook. Also I have used a Powerbook 1400 ion school-easy to use. Depending on how much you're prepared to dpend-see if tyhe iBooksuitable pricewise.

Eckslusive
May 8, 2003, 08:49 PM
Yeah, 90% of my school is covered with wireless internet

And you know the WEP key?
or does it not use one?

Gymnut
May 8, 2003, 09:59 PM
Jeezus, wish I had the equivalent of an ibook or a 12" PB my freshman year in high school. If I recall I was fiddling around on a B&W Classic. Don't know how I survived staring at that 9" screen. Kids with money nowadays?? What has the world come to???????!!!

Dual 1Ghz MDD, 2GB Ram, 2x120GB HD, Nvidia Geforce4Ti4600, Superdrive/Combo Drive, Apple 17" LCD. Yee doggie!

ebow
May 8, 2003, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by Gymnut
Jeezus, wish I had the equivalent of an ibook or a 12" PB my freshman year in high school. If I recall I was fiddling around on a B&W Classic. Don't know how I survived staring at that 9" screen. Kids with money nowadays?? What has the world come to???????!!!

No Classics, but I recall the labs filled with LCIIs, 286s, and IIgs's. And a handful of PowerMacs in a few teachers' rooms. In just a few years how things have changed...

I know, let's turn this into a "why, back when I was in high school..." thread! :eek:

G4scott
May 8, 2003, 11:22 PM
I'm a high school senior right now, and will be going to college in August, and I've had both a 12" iBook and a 12" PowerBook in high school, and here's what I think:

The PowerBook rocks, but it's expensive. If you can afford it, more power to you. For me, the battery life is about the same between the computers.

The PowerBook is certainly a solid machine. The aluminum case doesn't scratch easily (yet I have some smudges that you can see with the right light, and they don't seem to want to come off... I think my computer case is polishing the aluminum...), whereas the plastic of the iBook was scratched to death...

The iBook is fine for typing, going online, and even digital photos. You can do digital video, but get a big hard drive if you do.

The only thing is that the iBook will be more obsolete in 3, or even 2 years. For those who claim that they're the same computers, remember that one has a G4, a faster system bus (I think, and it uses DDR memory, and yes, the DDR helps a bit...), one has bluetooth built in, 802.11g, a way better graphics card (although it could still be better), a super drive option, a better keyboard, an aluminum casing, yadda yadda ya...

If it's something you'd plan to use as a hand-me-down, I'd probably go with the PowerBook, since it is better, and will probably last longer...

Those are just my thoughts, based on experience in this field...

Oh, and another note, the PowerBook's keyboard is much better!

maracz
May 9, 2003, 06:30 AM
Originally posted by G4scott
If it's something you'd plan to use as a hand-me-down, I'd probably go with the PowerBook, since it is better, and will probably last longer...

I'd agree with you for the most part. PBs are expensive! A 400MHZ/64 MB Ram/8 MB Graphics Card/10 GB/DVD Drive/USED with no warranty Powerbook will cost you a hundred dollars or more than a 900 MHZ/128 Ram/32 MB Graphics/40 GB/Combo Drive/New with Warranty at a reseller.

However with the PPC 970 I'm not sure if the G4 will hold it's value like it has before. I think that in 3 years or so both the iBook and the Powerbooks right now will be obsolete.

toughboy
May 9, 2003, 12:15 PM
2) if you are a student... you NEED (as i am saving up for) an ipod. so if 1500-2000 is all you can spare... get a maxed out ibook and a 15 gig ipod.... sweet

I do 100% agree to this bud.. :) life changes all the way up with a new iPod.. ;)

zarathustra
May 9, 2003, 01:21 PM
... I'm also a one of those "gifted" nerds who have taken the ACT ect. I'm in things like Mock Trail (If you've heard of it) and other achidemic compititions like that.

How about the spelling-bee? :p

Get the iBook - I just wish I could have had your allowance in 8th grade... plus back when I was in 8th grade I have just upgraded to a commodore 64. It was sweet.
:cool:

ebow
May 9, 2003, 01:59 PM
I'm in things like Mock Trail (If you've heard of it) and other achidemic compititions like that.

I've heard of Oregon Trail... It was a competition to the west coast, and for your life! Or perhaps the life of some 4-color blotches on the screen. :D

sparks9
May 9, 2003, 03:02 PM
I like the iBook best, it's also a lot cheaper.
In fact at mine school we are alowed to use our own laptops (win or mac) in the tests and finals.

donigian
Jun 4, 2003, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by Gymnut

I couldn't agree more, I'm entering my senior year in high school. I have an iMac 233 at my Dad's house and an eMachine 700 MHz Celeron at my Mom's. We aren't poor but neither of my parents want to spend any money on a new computer. My brother has to buy his own laptop before entering American University in the fall. If I want a new computer I have to buy my own and my mom thinks the $40 a month allowance keeps with me for a week. Ha. She also thinks I shouldn't have a job because she doesn't understand where all my money disappears to. I have this problem of if I have it I will spend it, and it's usually on Apple posters off of eBay. I guess I could start saving, but Apple keeps releasing those darned posters.

But, regardless of that, if I had my own laptop I would never take it to school. My school is an inner-city magnet school with 600 5th-12th graders. Most of them know me, although I don't know them. There is very little technology in the school, none in the private hands of students. Seldomly do people bring digital cameras or video cameras let alone laptop computers. Most of my friends don't have any computers (I 'fixed' my friends computer by replacing it with a newer computer off of eBay - it was a Pentium 233 w/MMX for <$45.)

But the point of my rant is that you should buy whatever you want and can afford, and remember if you don't like it, there are plenty of people just around the block from you that don't have anything remotely approaching what you have.