Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zim

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 5, 2002
So I received two iPods for Christmas, lucky me :D! Ironically they both came from my wife :eek:. See she one one in a company work raffle and had already ordered one via amazon. I have already offered her one but she is in love with hers, has no need for video etc.. So here is my question, do you think I could go to the Apple store and get a credit for the other one? I know it came from amazon but I would love to just get the whole transaction over with in a single day. Would like to get some accessories such as the audio video cables, maybe the doc and some other funtastic stuff that I have been wanting. I think this is possible, if I recall a friend of mine did it with a shuffle, got it as a gift and then upgraded it, using it as credit, towards an iPod.

Hope everyone else had a wonderful holiday!

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
You'll need to return it to Amazon - Apple (probably) won't credit you for something they didn't sell.

Rough position to be in there, buddy. ;)

Hummer

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2006
Queens, New York NY-5
If it's fully boxed and shrink wrapped I think they might do something. Especially with all the returns of the holiday season they might not care about receipts and stuff.

jalagl

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2003
Costa Rica
Returning stuff to amazon in incredibly easy. I returned two pairs of shoes that didn't fit (even though they were the right size), and got the money back on my CC a couple of weeks after I sent the return.
Just make sure that to select "Incompatible with current system" or similar as the reason for the return. With that option, Amazon will also pay the shipping back to them. ;)
Good luck!

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
If it's fully boxed and shrink wrapped I think they might do something. Especially with all the returns of the holiday season they might not care about receipts and stuff.
I agree. Head into a store and give it a shot, don't mention where you bought it from-- say it's a gift and you'd rather the store credit.

If they really won't do it for ya, then you could return it to Amazon. But why not give it a shot?

Blackhawk2006

macrumors member
Dec 21, 2006
they should do ... but without a receipt i am not to sure ... some stores are stricter than others. You havent removed or opened the box or anything have you?

Willis

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK
just list it on ebay or just send it back to amazon.

no store will take an item back without a receipt. if they did, then more fool them.

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006

no store will take an item back without a receipt. if they did, then more fool them.

most stores i know will allow the customer to exchange his product without a receipt, Apple included.

sven945

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2006

These are very different things from iPods, but many large chain book shops in the UK take back books that they sell (provided they are in perfect condition) and you can exchange them. You can't get a refund or anything without the receipt. Apple may be kind if the iPod is still shrink wrapped etc. You never know without trying, and it probably depends on the manager who is working it the time too.

jack

Willis

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK
most stores i know will allow the customer to exchange his product without a receipt, Apple included.

Well maybe in the US.. but in the UK, no chance. If its opened, they will only take it back if it isnt working. Unless its Curry's. They dont even test it. Same with Comet too, but we have insurance on all our electrical items, so whos going to say no?

But handing an iPod into an Apple Store when it wasnt even bought from there... im a bit skeptical on that.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
Well maybe in the US.. but in the UK, no chance. If its opened, they will only take it back if it isnt working. Unless its Curry's. They dont even test it. Same with Comet too, but we have insurance on all our electrical items, so whos going to say no?

But handing an iPod into an Apple Store when it wasnt even bought from there... im a bit skeptical on that.

The law in the UK is quite clear on this. A receipt is NOT required for a return. Obviously, it cuts out a lot of arguments, so it should be retained for that reason, but a shop cannot refuse to accept an article bought from it just because a receipt was not produced.

Add ASDA to the list of shops who find it not worth their while to query returns, open or not.

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan

Not true in the US. Almost every store will take back an item with out a receipt if it is unopened.

I would try Apple Store, Best Buy, Target, CircuitCity. Without a receipt they may only give you store credit so make sure to return it to someplace where you would buy something.

Pathetique

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2005
At the Apple Store they will scan the serial number to look up the reciept with an item like that, so you're out of luck there. Also, at Target, you can't return something over 200 dollars without a reciept.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
The Apple Store will know it's from Amazon from the serial number on the box.

My friend went to Vegas on holiday and picked up an iPod which broke 6 months later. He took it to the local Apple Store in Birmingham (UK) to get it repaired and they knew which shop it was from and when he had bought it by entering his serial number into their database.

There wasn't a problem with warranty though and he walked out with a new replacement.

zim

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 5, 2002
Update

So I contacted both Apple and Target, my two options for return (not including going back to amazon which was my third option) and both of them said yes, as long as it was in the factory sealed shrink wrap, which it was. So I then went back to my wife and explained I could go here and get xyz or here and get qrs

zim

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 5, 2002
update

Okay so after some calling around here is what I found out. Both Target and Apple would have been more then happy to do an exchange of goods (store credit) for the iPod. The packaging was complete, factory sealed no signs of entry. I was even honest with apple, not Target (I just said it was a gift to Target), in that I knew where it came from (amazon) and they were fine with that. So I then sat down and tried to put together a shopping lists.. I know it should have been easy to spend and I could get a lot of great things but I decided in the end to give it to my wife, she has been inheriting my old iPods whenever we upgraded so I thought that it would be nice for her to finally have a new new one seeing how she won the first one to begin with.. she at first said no that she had gotten it for me but after a few rounds of "I want you to have it.." followed by "but I got it for you" she finally said okay (her eyes lit up as she opened it, I was so happy :D!).

Thanks for all the replies :).

Happy New Years!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.