Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

XP Defector

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2006
So I got the new Nano for Xmas, they look a bit more sturdy than the original nano... What does everyone think?

TheAnswer

macrumors 68030
Jan 25, 2002
Orange County, CA
They are more sturdy. I still got an iSkin cover for it though. I hadn't looked much at the 1st generation Nano, but I saw my nephew's over the weekend and even with a skin on it looked in bad shape.

XP Defector

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2006
I've actually been really impressed with it so far. Great size, shape, weight and battery capacity. I've used it quite a lot for three days and still about around 3/4 of green on the clock. Screen looks great and the build quality also seems the best of the iPods so far (jog wheel is inline with the rest of the shell etc). Mines a silver 4GB, I think it's been great value so far and I can see it lasting a lot longer than my iPod 30GIG or Nano 1st Gen.

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
I totally agree, I've had my new iPod Nano for 2 weeks now and there are no scratches or fingermarks. I love my new Nano it's by far the best iPod that has been release for sometime now.

I'm hoping when the G6 iPods are released they will be made out of the same stuff as the G2 Nanos.

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005
I was originally uninterested in the old nanos, but the new 2G design sold me. The battery life is very good, screen is nice, and the body is far more durable compared with my friends 1G.

There are a few problems I've been having, though, that you should probably be aware of. First, if I sync my Nano with iTunes, unplug it correctly, and go to listen to a podcast, it crashes. Almost every time. A quick soft reset fixes it but its still annoying. I have the latest versions of the iPod firmware and iTunes. There was also one time the hold switch wasn't responding, but that fixed itself and hasn't happened since.

Great music player that syncs very seamlessly with the Mac. Thumbs up.

PS: Anyone else have any similar problems?

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
I got a new nano for Christmas, too, but coming from a mini, which are built like a tiny brick, the nano actually seems a bit fragile... ;)

Don't think I'll bother with a skin or anything... maybe an armband for mountain hiking (mostly to avoid tripping over the earphone cord, something I've done multiple times).

cecildk9999

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2006
East Coast
The new nanos are definitely more durable in staying scratch free (I've had mine for two months, and it has pretty minimal wear from just being tossed in my pocket) but arstechnica did a review that puts the new nanos through some tough stress tests, and I guess it didn't fare as well as the original. ::shrug::

jdavtz

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2005
Kenya
re: crashing after synching and listening to a podcast, I've had the same problem but found a random website that suggested to always sync with the hold switch in the 'open' position, and that appears to have sorted it for me.

MacAnkka

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2006
Finland
Got my iPod Nano 2gb yesterday. I'm very happy with it. It's my first iPod ever, but I've tested a couple of 1st gen Nanos and they didn't feel or look as sturdy as this 2nd gen nano.

Also, I always loved the Mini's look and was disappointed when they stopped selling them. This new Nano looks sooo nice compared to the old model.

Mac'Mo

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2006
NYC
the new nanos looks pretty sexy and they're made of a new aluminum thats is less scratch prone.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
I prefer the original Nano design - as long as it's Invisibleshielded straight from the factory :D

The new Nano's battery life is near perfect and that is the thing that sold the 2G to me. Not too long so you're lulled into a false sense of security but not too short.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.