PDA

View Full Version : Changing hard drive on powerbook G4

infinity101
Dec 26, 2006, 06:53 PM
I have trided to upgrade the hard drive on my G4 15" powerbook. The ribon conector from the drive to the board has come free from the board and I don't know how to refasten it. can some one help

Gokhan
Dec 26, 2006, 09:12 PM
hmmm seems like you tore the connector right off the board you are going to have to resolder it on !

This is why i always pull from the harddrive end and not disconnet anything from the logicboard unless i have to !!!

on second though if you just pulled the cable out of the white plastic socket just push the flat cable back in and clamp the connector down CAREFULLY

MartyMoe
Dec 26, 2006, 09:51 PM
I have trided to upgrade the hard drive on my G4 15" powerbook. The ribon conector from the drive to the board has come free from the board and I don't know how to refasten it. can some one help

Sometimes I check ifixit.com; they have some good guides on taking Macs apart (and more importantly, putting them back together). If you check the link at http://www.ifixit.com/cart/customer/help.php?section=id you can select your model. It depends on the model name, the chip speed, etc...

There are a couple of connector types- sometimes they are pins, sometimes they are a plastic cap that slides down on the post... I have also seen older-type connectors that are a ribbon cable that slides through a slot first, and then you slide a plastic clamp down on it. I can't really tell without knowing the exact model, as I don't work with a lot of powerbooks these days...

Take a look, and good luck!