Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thepetemeister

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2006
I am putting together a new server. Just curious if anyone is successfully using their Mac Mini running OS X Server.

I have heard conflicting stories on how well it works. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Swarmlord

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2006
Provided that the main role of a server is to serve files from a large disk storage system to multiple users connected through a LAN how does a mini fit the bill better than another more suitable model? Is there a software application that only runs on a server that doesn't on a workstation?

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
The software will run fine, but the mini isn't really geared up to be a serious file server. That hard drive is a notebook part, for example.

What kind of work were you thinking to have this server do? X Server may be overkill, if so little hardware is enough for the job.

thepetemeister

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2006
It will be used as a web/ftp/dns server. CPU load will be small. I don't need dual processors or huge redundant arrays. Xserve would be extreme overkill in my situation. I would like to give OS X Server a try for managing the server. Seems like the size, price point, power consumption would be a perfect fit for what I need.

Swarmlord

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2006
Well, if you just want to learn and work with X Serve, that platform will certainly run it. I've certainly set up my share of workstation and laptop based servers for both Windows and Linux. Now you have me intrigued to check out X Serve. Damn you! :cool:

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Okay, so you're really interested in Server for the easy work you get from Server Admin? That's definitely reasonable, Apple did a nice job with that stuff. Plain old OS X could do the job too, but it is nice to have everything already there and configured.

I wouldn't worry too much about the kernel bottleneck scare stories, you're not going to be running a Google or Yahoo with that kind of hardware anyway.

At worst, if the hardware isn't enough, you could always put the Server license onto a bigger machine later, and find another job for the mini.

thepetemeister

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2006
About OS X Server licenses. I was thinking about picking up a copy on eBay then upgrading to Leopard once it comes out, but I can't find any information about OS X Server upgrades. All I have found is the 3 year maintenance plan. Do they have a standard upgrade policy for OS X Server?

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
All I have found is the 3 year maintenance plan. Do they have a standard upgrade policy for OS X Server?
That is the upgrade plan, I'm afraid. At worst, the three-year deal will cost you the same as simply buying Leopard, at best you'll get whatever comes after Leopard too and cut the price per upgrade in half.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.