PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook G4 sleep issues

ricebag
Dec 27, 2006, 10:40 AM
My G4 1.33 powerbook is having serious issues getting to sleep. It gets there eventually, but it takes between 45 seconds and a minute, which seems ridiculously long. I can deal with it, but I wondered if people had any suggestions.

For what it's worth, I've repaired permissions and tried it on a clean user account with no applications running.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Tim

Unspeaked
Dec 27, 2006, 02:23 PM
Have you tried putting it to sleep:

A) With just the power adapter and no battery?

B) With just the battery and no power adapter?

Also, are you running 10.4.8?

ricebag
Dec 27, 2006, 04:54 PM
I have now, and no difference. Yes on 10.4.8. (Sorry, should have mentioned that before.)

mad jew
Dec 28, 2006, 01:27 AM
Okay, try verifying your hard drive from within Disk Utility. Does it come back with any errors? :)

Aniej
Dec 28, 2006, 01:33 AM
Okay, try verifying your hard drive from within Disk Utility. Does it come back with any errors? :)

I think both he and the comp are asleep:) Happy 8 nights my friend, they were good to you I trust?

ricebag
Dec 28, 2006, 09:18 AM
Whoa... It says "This drive has reported a fatal hardware error to Disk Utility. If the drive has not failed completely, back up as much data as you can and then replace it with a working drive."

That sounds bad.

Unspeaked
Dec 28, 2006, 10:47 AM
Whoa... It says "This drive has reported a fatal hardware error to Disk Utility. If the drive has not failed completely, back up as much data as you can and then replace it with a working drive."

That sounds bad.

Yeah, your drive is dying.

Back it up to an external drive and either contact Apple (if it's under warranty, they'll replace it) or buy a new one and install it... (though it's a huge pain on the 12" PBs!)

Do it ASAP!

ricebag
Dec 29, 2006, 11:23 AM
Thanks - already got one ordered from newegg. Wish I could afford to upgrade a little but oh well.

It's funny, I'd had smartreporter installed and it didn't pop up an alarm until just now.