PDA

View Full Version : iPod/PSP Dual Format Videos

dwishbone
Dec 27, 2006, 10:42 AM
im really getting fed up with how picky my iPod 5G is with its H.264 playback. some files work while others with the same exact settings do not.
i am starting to like my PSP as a video player, but ill be using my iPod still for music.
i was wondering though if anyone out there has both an iPod and a PSP and knows which video codec/settings work best to output a video file that will play on both the PSP and iPod (and conceivably the iTV when its released).
the PSP supports 76800 pixels and 44khz, H.264 Baseline and Mainline as well as MPEG4. thats about all i can find. that basically would be the old settings for the iPod correct?
any advice would be most appreciated.

gkarris
Dec 27, 2006, 12:52 PM
I haven't. I'm the opposite - the videos I have work great on an iPod, and not at all on a PSP. You can use Instant Handbreak, but I don't feel like encoding a video twice. Then there's the whole try to get it onto the PSP thing (it's not as easy as an iPod).

I do use PSP9, but then, you have to encode the videos over again and it won't work on ones purchased.

I sometimes watch my iPod videos from the iTunes Store on a TV though - something you can't do easily on a PSP...

robPOD
Dec 27, 2006, 01:00 PM
Yeah I totallly agree it is defintaly a problem that needs to fixed.

dwishbone
Dec 27, 2006, 02:46 PM
well i did a complete hardware reset on my iPod today. it seems to have fixed my H.264 problem for now. what's odd is it would play some but not all. all of my movies are made using the Handbrake 0.7.1a + Mac the Ripper. it outputs the videos at the high rez like i want. i use iSquint to batch convert all of my TV shows. i use the exact same settings every time for both programs. what was odd is the iPod would either a. play some but not all the files or b. play no h.264 content at all. it was very spurratic, but once a file wouldnt play...it wouldnt play again...ever. even if i removed it and copied it back. i posted in here awhile back about my iPod's h.264 playback being broken but got no responses.
as i said the hardware reset seems to have fixed it for now.
i played around with it some at work today and ive found that the old settings for H.264 will play just fine on the PSP. in fact i downloaded some "iPod" movies off of Apple's trailer site and they play wonderfully on the PSP. so if nothing else im guessing all pre 5.5g iPod H.264 videos would probably play fine on both the PSP and the iPod. im really doubting that the PSP will play movies at 640x480 (307200 pixels) resolution. im sure its strong enough, but i havnt read anything about sony updating it to support anything higher than 320x240 and the equivalent sizes (76800 pixels). just in case anyone that knows more about video than me and needs the number..the actual PSP screen size is 480x272 (130560 pixels).
now that my iPod is working again i may just stick with it. i really dont want to invest in memory stick. im just trying to keep my options open...especially if my iPod flakes out again.