PDA

View Full Version : Apple Tops Amazon.com Bestseller Lists

MacRumors
Dec 27, 2006, 04:11 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Amazon.com's best selling laptops, desktops, and MP3 players were all made by Apple Computer.

According to the online retailer's rankings for popular items by category, 6 iPod models were in the top 10 in the MP3 Player category (http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/electronics/172630/ref=pd_ts_e_nav/102-2193719-8620109) and 3 MacBook models placed in the top 10 in the Laptops category (http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/pc/565108/ref=pd_ts_pc_nav/102-2193719-8620109). However, perhaps most impressive was Apple's domination of the Desktop category (http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/pc/565098/ref=pd_ts_pc_nav/102-2193719-8620109), with Apple placing 3 iMac models and 1 Mac Mini model with no other PC manufacturer placing in the top 10. In addition, Apple earned the top spot in all the above categories with its 30 GB iPod (Black), MacBook, and iMac.

Amazon.com had its best year ever (http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/biztech/12/27/amazon.sales.ap/index.html) this year, recording a peak of over 4 million sales in one day (December 11th).

[ Digg This (http://www.digg.com/apple/Apple_Dominates_Amazon_com_Bestseller_Lists) ]

MrCrowbar
Dec 27, 2006, 04:14 PM
Neat. Add one mac mini model and one iMac and the whole consumer mac line is in the top 10. Thats not bad at all.

miketcool
Dec 27, 2006, 04:15 PM
Nope, Apple will never sell more Computers then PC companies....

Sean7512
Dec 27, 2006, 04:17 PM
Wow...that is awesome, I hope they keep it up. I want to see Winblows fail miserably because I dislike it. I refuse to do any online shopping on my XP laptop, just incase of some spyware is on it that I don't know about. You can never be too careful...

Peace
Dec 27, 2006, 04:23 PM
I can't believe Amazon is still selling G3's and eMacs.

cxny
Dec 27, 2006, 04:32 PM
Amazon's a great place to buy Apple stuff as they always have rebates (5-10%)
offer free shipping and no tax. No one can beat that!

sushi
Dec 27, 2006, 04:39 PM
This is good news.

And imagine how it would look if Amazon could sell Apple products overseas! This would increase the numbers even more.

Buschmaster
Dec 27, 2006, 04:40 PM
I can't believe Amazon is still selling G3's and eMacs.
Hey now, some people don't have money for a brand new Mac.

topgunn
Dec 27, 2006, 04:49 PM
Apple always tops the list because they typically have 3 or 4 iMacs that remain unchanged for 9 months. Compare this to the a1610n from HP at number 12. You can also buy the a1600n, a1620n, a1630n and a1640n. And in 2 weeks, the a1600 series will be replaced, if it hasn't been already.

iW00t
Dec 27, 2006, 05:07 PM
Apple always tops the list because they typically have 3 or 4 iMacs that remain unchanged for 9 months. Compare this to the a1610n from HP at number 12. You can also buy the a1600n, a1620n, a1630n and a1640n. And in 2 weeks, the a1600 series will be replaced, if it hasn't been already.

Bingo.

J Radical
Dec 27, 2006, 05:16 PM
The numbers might be somewhat inflated due to the long life cycles of apple products, but you can't spin this as bad news.

sushi
Dec 27, 2006, 05:19 PM
Good point! The PC side does change more often.

Gosh
Dec 27, 2006, 05:20 PM
This is good news.

And imagine how it would look if Amazon could sell Apple products overseas! This would increase the numbers even more.

Amazon.co.uk doesn't really push Macs, bit like PC World!

They do however make great play on the iPods.

Perhaps they could learn from American Amazon!

illw!l
Dec 27, 2006, 05:33 PM

We know the lists are updated hourly, but does anyone know what the date range is for these rankings?

In other words, is this the best selling in the last hour? the last day? the last week?

In any case, the rankings are probably not based on total cumulative sales, rather a more appropriate and relevant range, reducing the impact 'frequent' product changes.

Sabenth
Dec 27, 2006, 05:33 PM
Do not buy a mac from pc world uk in chesterfeild there stocks out by a year the muppets had a bad expereance with there so called customer care program that in the end didnt help me with an issue i had with my g5 imac nether the less apple on the other hand were very very very helpfull Thankyou apple

Xeem
Dec 27, 2006, 05:35 PM

While true, this doesn't change the fact that staying on stop of Amazon's best-selling list is like free advertising for Apple, and it will help sell more Macs in its own right.

SiliconAddict
Dec 27, 2006, 05:35 PM
Does anyone ever do any comparisons other then on amazon.com ? :confused:

mattster16
Dec 27, 2006, 05:44 PM
Does anyone ever do any comparisons other then on amazon.com ? :confused:

Amazon top sales lists are an easy comparison because they are easily accessible. It's very difficult or impossible to obtain sales numbers for most retailers and trying to reconcile the figures from various outlets would take a lot of work.

It's not very scientific but at least amazon gives a nice (albeit limited) view of what is selling.

NewSc2
Dec 27, 2006, 05:47 PM
If you want to buy a PC, you can choose from dozens of companies and different model numbers. If you want to purchase a computer with OSX, you have about 10 options from Amazon.com.

But yeah, it's not like making the best selling list is a bad thing.

Eraserhead
Dec 27, 2006, 05:54 PM
Do not buy...from pc world uk

Yep in general unless you know EXACTLY what you want (I bought my Macbook RAM from PC World), this is always true ;).

It is impressive that the top the bestseller list on Amazon, but if I was buying a PC online I'd probably go to Dell or another manufacturers website, but Amazon seem to offer a good discount on Macs.

Hattig
Dec 27, 2006, 05:57 PM
My parents went to a PCWorld (Boston or Nottingham) and the salesman there said that Apple Macs were a lot harder to use than Windows PCs...

Then again these are the same people that don't look at reviews of consumer electronics before buying, despite the dozens of times I tell them that they should. Gah!

LaDirection
Dec 27, 2006, 05:59 PM

Apple's is the world's 4th largest computer maker. According to the last few years' sale progression, it is expected this year that they will become the 3rd largest behind Dell and Gateway.

I'm not sure what your ignorance was based on, but I hope this has been helpful.

Eraserhead
Dec 27, 2006, 06:04 PM
Apple's is the world's 4th largest computer maker. According to the last few years' sale progression, it is expected this year that they will become the 3rd largest behind Dell and Gateway.

I'm not sure what your ignorance was based on, but I hope this has been helpful.

It's only in the US I'm afraid. Dell and HP are the top two, last quarter they shipped about 20'000 fewer PC's than Gateway (number 3), they are almost certainly the 3rd biggest in the US currently, as their shipments are growing and Gateway's aren't.

westonharvey
Dec 27, 2006, 06:05 PM
"perhaps most impressive was Apple's domination of the Desktop category, with Apple placing 3 iMac models and 1 Mac Mini model with no other PC manufacturer placing in the top 10. In addition, Apple earned the top spot in all the above categories with its 30 GB iPod (Black), MacBook, and iMac."

So there's a Desktop category, and there's 10 slots in it. Apple placed 3 iMac models and 1 Mac Mini model. That's 4 of the slots. No other PC manufacturer placed in the top 10. What placed in the other 6 slots?

Toaster ovens? :confused:

neven
Dec 27, 2006, 06:12 PM
So there's a Desktop category, and there's 10 slots in it. Apple placed 3 iMac models and 1 Mac Mini model. That's 4 of the slots. No other PC manufacturer placed in the top 10. What placed in the other 6 slots?

Close - books and a wireless FM transmitter. I don't get it either...

japanime
Dec 27, 2006, 06:14 PM

miketcool was being sarcastic. I hope this has been helpful.

Freg3000
Dec 27, 2006, 06:15 PM

Books and software mostly; I think.

iMikeT
Dec 27, 2006, 06:22 PM
I wish I had the money to invest in AAPL at the moment...:(

scu
Dec 27, 2006, 07:07 PM
I wish I had the money to invest in AAPL at the moment...:(

I wish I had more money to invest further. Don't worry this stock will split soon and then you might be able to buy a few shares.

I think next quarter results will blow everyone away. Apple sells a great deal on their own website and iPods and MacBooks made the top ten.

synth3tik
Dec 27, 2006, 07:19 PM
It is odd the the Desktop category includes books and other computer related stuff, but it is good fun news anyway. I like when I can throw some weight around.

p0intblank
Dec 27, 2006, 07:30 PM
Very nice! People love their Macs and iPods. :D

stcanard
Dec 27, 2006, 07:30 PM
Compare this to the a1610n from HP at number 12. You can also buy the a1600n, a1620n, a1630n and a1640n. And in 2 weeks, the a1600 series will be replaced, if it hasn't been already.

Interesting you bring up this point, because Apple used to be like this.

One of the first things Teh Steve did when he came back was declare it was unnecessarily confusing to consumers, and cut to the now (in) famous 4 products lines -- (consumer|pro) && (laptop || desktop)

Apparently there's another benefit, when measuring product sales for top 10 lists :)

sam10685
Dec 27, 2006, 08:03 PM
i got a 200 dollar gift card to the apple store so i'm going to save more, sell my 12" powerbook G4 and get something brand new when Leopard gets here. (hopefully there's going to be new hardware out too by then.)

wmmk
Dec 27, 2006, 09:33 PM
However, perhaps most impressive was Apple's domination of the Desktop category (http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/pc/565098/ref=pd_ts_pc_nav/102-2193719-8620109), with Apple placing 3 iMac models and 1 Mac Mini model with no other PC manufacturer placing in the top 10.

How is it that apple has 4 models in the top 10 and no other manufacturer has any? Wouldn't 10 minus 4 be 6, or have I become senile from posting too much on MacRumors?:confused: :p

longofest
Dec 27, 2006, 09:49 PM
How is it that apple has 4 models in the top 10 and no other manufacturer has any? Wouldn't 10 minus 4 be 6, or have I become senile from posting too much on MacRumors?:confused: :p

The desktop category didn't JUST have desktops unfortunately, as it would have made the best comparison. It also included software. However, the fact still remained that Apple sold the most computers and SOFTWARE beat out the other PC manufacturers to round out the top 10.

dongmin
Dec 27, 2006, 09:54 PM
How is it that apple has 4 models in the top 10 and no other manufacturer has any? Wouldn't 10 minus 4 be 6, or have I become senile from posting too much on MacRumors?:confused: :pPeople, is it that hard to click the bloody link (Desktop category) (http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/pc/565098/ref=pd_ts_pc_nav/102-2193719-8620109)) before posting?

phillipjfry
Dec 27, 2006, 10:04 PM
The numbers might be somewhat inflated due to the long life cycles of apple products, but you can't spin this as bad news.

They bought an Apple product as opposed to HP/Dell/whatever.
Life-span and numbers taken into consideration, the best news is that they actually made the TOP of the list. not middle or bottom.

bretm
Dec 27, 2006, 10:48 PM
I wish I had more money to invest further. Don't worry this stock will split soon and then you might be able to buy a few shares.

Errr... You could buy a few when it splits, or buy one now. What's the difference? And if that's all you an buy, the price of the trade commission is going put you in a loss range for 10 years.

scu
Dec 27, 2006, 11:03 PM
Errr... You could buy a few when it splits, or buy one now. What's the difference? And if that's all you an buy, the price of the trade commission is going put you in a loss range for 10 years.

If one wanted to buy 50 shares but did not have $4K, then they could them after they split and went down to $35 a share for only $1750. When shares are priced lower they will increase much more rapidly, rather when they go up like google.

As for commission it should not cost more than about $20 per trade. Buy it and keep it for 5 years then sell them and you will be amazed how much many more aapl shares one has.:D

Mac Fly (film)
Dec 28, 2006, 12:58 AM
Don't wait for the shares to split, buy half the amount of shares you may have bought after the split, right now. You will save money buying before Macworld, and you will double the amount of shares you buy after the split happens.

SMM
Dec 28, 2006, 02:38 AM

Sorry, but I have little faith in you crystal ball.

cb31
Dec 28, 2006, 04:03 AM
If one wanted to buy 50 shares but did not have $4K, then they could them after they split and went down to $35 a share for only $1750. When shares are priced lower they will increase much more rapidly, rather when they go up like google.I don't want to appear rude but that is absolute rubbish and I hope you are not following your own advice.

If it was really that easy, ie. split stocks so they increase in value faster, don't you think every company in the world would be doing this every day?

Also what is the difference in buying 50 shares at $40 = $2000, assuming a 2 for 1 split, or 25 shares at $80 = $2000? If they double in value in 10 years you will make the same amount of profit.

iJaz
Dec 28, 2006, 04:06 AM
Sad to see Zune coming up to #14 in the MP3 player category, last week it was at #20+ something.

steve_hill4
Dec 28, 2006, 04:27 AM
Yep in general unless you know EXACTLY what you want (I bought my Macbook RAM from PC World), this is always true ;).

It is impressive that the top the bestseller list on Amazon, but if I was buying a PC online I'd probably go to Dell or another manufacturers website, but Amazon seem to offer a good discount on Macs.

My parents went to a PCWorld (Boston or Nottingham) and the salesman there said that Apple Macs were a lot harder to use than Windows PCs...

Then again these are the same people that don't look at reviews of consumer electronics before buying, despite the dozens of times I tell them that they should. Gah!
Nah, even if you know exactly what you want, PC World isn't always the best option. If you want the Mac for example, John Lewis every time, (unless you get Edu or want a BTO). 2 year guarantee on all computers and usually at least 1 or 2 people in all the time that have a reasonable working knowledge on Macs in all stores, (don't be put off if you don't get one of these first time, persist in asking questions they struggle to answer and they will eventually give up and get somebody else). Nottingham even better, I work there so I know our branch is littered with Mac owners and we usually have all in stock to take away.

Had a guy who rang just before Christmas who had been to PC World and asked them a couple of questions they just shrugged their shoulders at. Will Mac run Office? Yes and we sell it - followed by price list. Will my external hard drive for Windows work with a Mac? Yes, if it's FAT32 it will read and write, if it's NTFS it will read only. Any more questions?

Next day, first thing, he came in and picked up a 20" and a copy of Office for Mac from a colleague, (opened earlier than I started that day, just caught a glimpse of the details he was taking from him as I started work and thought "That's one message I rang back yesterday.")

Eraserhead
Dec 28, 2006, 04:59 AM
Nah, even if you know exactly what you want, PC World isn't always the best option.

I would (if I didn't get HE discount) probably buy a Mac from John Lewis however they don't sell RAM ;). It's good to know they know their stuff.

jellomizer
Dec 28, 2006, 06:33 AM
My main worry if Apple becomes #1 Computer manufacturer is that quality will drop, to keep prices down to stay cost competitive. Already my MBP has more plastic then my old powerbook in the case. With the popularity of the current products major case redesigns are far fewer, and more and more parts are being made by third party manufactures. While any one of these things is not necessarily bad on its own it could create a sliding scale where quality will drop further. In the Mid 90s Gateway become the leader of the PCs because they were known for quality then by the late 90s their quality drop. Late 90's Early 2000's Dell was know for its quality and it become number one now Dell quality is questionable now it seems that Apple is taking Dells Place. So by 2012 who will be the next new king. HP, Acer? Well at least with Apple Gaining Market share it makes Software developers pay more attention to Cross Platform Development or Web Technologies.

Dagless
Dec 28, 2006, 07:35 AM
Aww but I like my Mac being the underdog. I think Apple are in a very nice place at the moment, the local Apple stores are always full, they are respected and used in the industries. Just seems to be little kids online who have beef with them.

sushi
Dec 28, 2006, 07:50 AM
I don't want to appear rude but that is absolute rubbish and I hope you are not following your own advice.

If it was really that easy, ie. split stocks so they increase in value faster, don't you think every company in the world would be doing this every day?

Also what is the difference in buying 50 shares at $40 = $2000, assuming a 2 for 1 split, or 25 shares at $80 = $2000? If they double in value in 10 years you will make the same amount of profit.
So very correct. :)

Just wish I had about 100 shares of Berkshire Hathaway stock. It closed at 111,500 yesterday. Up 34% for the past 52 weeks with an average of 27% per year for the past 10 years! :eek:

crobi
Dec 28, 2006, 10:22 AM
to topgunn and Sushi

Originally Posted by topgunn
Good point! The PC side does change more often.

That point make no sense, wathever if the product is there for 9 month, this best seller list is updated hourly, this is the sale for the last hour.

Unspeaked
Dec 28, 2006, 10:36 AM
Just wish I had about 100 shares of Berkshire Hathaway stock. It closed at 111,500 yesterday. Up 34% for the past 52 weeks with an average of 27% per year for the past 10 years! :eek:

I wish I had one share of B.H...!

Unspeaked
Dec 28, 2006, 10:38 AM
That point make no sense, wathever if the product is there for 9 month, this best seller list is updated hourly, this is the sale for the last hour.

The list is UPDATED hourly.

That doesn't mean the results are from the last hour, it just means they've added the last hour's sales info into the list.

For all we know, the list goes back 6 months at a time; they don't make the period of time specific.

topgunn
Dec 28, 2006, 11:11 AM
Company A and Company B are direct competitors.
Company A has four products available at any given time that change every year.
Company B has twelve products available at any given time that change every three months.
Assume company B sells twice the number of total products as company A.
Assume the total products sold are distributed evenly among all the products available.
We are looking for the most number of sells for one unique product at given time intervals.

1 Mo ---- Company A = X ---- Company B = 2/3 X

6 Mo ---- Company A = 6X ---- Company B = 2 X

12 Mo ---- Company A = 12X ---- Company B = 2 X

Obviously this is a very simple example with some simple assumptions but you should get the idea. Even with a short sample period and half the total sells, the company with 1/3 fewer unique products sells more of each individual item than does the company with more items.

rtdunham
Dec 28, 2006, 11:46 AM
...perhaps most impressive was Apple's domination of the Desktop category, with Apple placing 3 iMac models and 1 Mac Mini model with no other PC manufacturer placing in the top 10

can someone tell me how i'm reading this wrong? In a list of top 10 desktop computers, apple has 3 iMacs and 1 MacMini--and no other PC manufacturer has a model in that top ten? What, exactly, fills the other six top desktop slots?

Unspeaked
Dec 28, 2006, 12:05 PM
can someone tell me how i'm reading this wrong? In a list of top 10 desktop computers, apple has 3 iMacs and 1 MacMini--and no other PC manufacturer has a model in that top ten? What, exactly, fills the other six top desktop slots?

As someone else pointed out earlier, it's accessories that are listed in the computer catagory (wirless routers, etc).

miketcool
Dec 28, 2006, 12:25 PM

SARCASM'ED!

Hunabku
Dec 28, 2006, 02:02 PM
I think the arguments about Apple product lifetime-cycle and number of models have less importance than many are attributing. The new models have not been out for that long and if you look at the top 12 desktops - apple has 7 of the 12 (see http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/electronics/565098/ref=pd_ts_e_nav/002-6222124-8389602)

That means that a wide span of apple models are selling wonderfully. I think a better explanation of what is going on here is that more people are finding out that buying macs from amazon is an excellent way to go.

scu
Dec 29, 2006, 01:50 AM
I don't want to appear rude but that is absolute rubbish and I hope you are not following your own advice.

You are not rude. And I do follow my own advise. I started off with 100 shares about 5 years ago in aapl and just kept buying. I now own over 1600 shares with a large part on margin. In one year I will have 3200. Apple split its stock to make it more affordable for the average joe while also increasing trading volume. I can not tell you how many people I run into who say, it is too expensive right now. Psychologically people want to buy many shares at lower prices, even though I agree with you about the value numbers.

At the rate that Apple is going this stock will split every 2 to 3 years if not sooner. When it does it usually comes down quite a bit initially. It went up to 90 before it split and then it came down to 35 post split.

First quarter numbers will blow everyone away.

Evangelion
Dec 29, 2006, 02:34 AM

Well, in all fairness, Apple doesn't have as many models to sell as HP, Dell and the like have. So while HP and others see their sales spread out over several models, Apple has relatively few models to sell, so the models they do sell will sell in large numbers when compared to sales of some individual Dell or HP-model. If you looked at overall sales, Apple would still be trailing behind HP and others, even though some of their individual models are selling very, very well.

D34thPwny
Dec 29, 2006, 03:25 AM
tehe... PCs = owned
*basks*

a456
Dec 29, 2006, 05:38 AM

They certainly sell a lot more computers than many individual PC manufacturers. They obviously don't sell more than the combined number of PCs sold however.

I wonder if their success on Amazon is the result of the "Vista Halo" or should we call it the "Vista Cloud", or is it as another post has suggested Apple's branding and the way they don't change the names of their computers to reflect small increases in processor speed and memory, etc., which works well on the Internet. Having said this though it looks like Amazon do return the ranking to zero when there are any changes to Mac models because the listings are processor, memory, etc. specific. Maybe we just have to confess that these machines are selling like hot cakes, as they deserve to be - Apple is having its 15 minutes after waiting 30 years for it to happen.

sushi
Dec 29, 2006, 06:55 AM
Interesting you bring up this point, because Apple used to be like this.

One of the first things Teh Steve did when he came back was declare it was unnecessarily confusing to consumers, and cut to the now (in) famous 4 products lines -- (consumer|pro) && (laptop || desktop)

Apparently there's another benefit, when measuring product sales for top 10 lists :)
Yep, at one time it was difficult for even the Mac evangelists to figure out which computer to recommend based upon someone's needs. Very confusing time for Apple and they loyal customers, let alone prospective new customers -- especially when the clones were added to the pot. Talk about confusing.

Now it is so much easier and better for the customer and Apple with the Pro and Consumer lines. :)

Mac2Core
Dec 29, 2006, 01:22 PM

It is confusing, but if you look at Amazon's Desktop category you see listed, All-in-ones, bundles, media centers, LCD Monitors, CRT monitors and PC mermory. However, when you explore the category, you will find external drives, power supply regulators, power adapters and servers as well.

k2k koos
Dec 29, 2006, 02:56 PM
There is a little shuffle going on, as of this moment, the mac mini, and the 24" iMac are out of the top 10 ( but only just), and a Mac Pro model is in the list on no 9. Also of note is that HP has managed to grab a spot in this top ten with one mini tower model.

GO APPLE!

AppleIntelRock
Dec 31, 2006, 12:19 AM
That's totally amazing! We're headed in the right direction.