PDA

View Full Version : iPod problem

The Toon Master
Dec 27, 2006, 08:50 PM
I had recently updated my iPod, charged it, and unplugged it

When i truned it on, it wouldn't play a single song or video, and when i tested the video, it wouldn't go back, and the screen was black, and i could not change it back. So a few hours later, I checked it again, and it was still like it again, and i fiddled with the Hold Button stupidly (How should it be normally? shoudl the orange or the white be showing???) and i finally got on the computer and plugged it in ,but my iPod nor iTunes shows it is showing it plugged in..

Please Help!!

NotFound
Dec 27, 2006, 08:53 PM
Have you tried restarting the iPod?

Unplug it from your computer- hold the Menu and middle(select) button and hold down until you see the Apple logo.

It should restart back to your iPod menu.

The Toon Master
Dec 27, 2006, 09:00 PM
Doesn't work

This came up 10 or so minutes after i plugged it in..

http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/9930/ipodsp2.png (http://imageshack.us)

Umm, i have a few questions

1. Which means the hold button is on? If it's showing orange to the left of the ubtton or white to the right of it

2. If a were to restore the iPod, would i lose everythign that isn't backed up no a previous iTunes library?

NotFound
Dec 27, 2006, 09:01 PM
For regular use the white part of the hold switch should be visible.

If you restore you loose all data on your iPod.

The Toon Master
Dec 27, 2006, 09:04 PM
But would i be able to import all of my items on iTunes back into it???

NotFound
Dec 27, 2006, 09:05 PM
Yes.

The Toon Master
Dec 27, 2006, 09:07 PM
Alright, thank you very much..

The Toon Master
Dec 27, 2006, 09:09 PM
Actually, do you think I shoudl restore it (Sorry, this is my first iPod, not too much experience with it)

NotFound
Dec 27, 2006, 09:13 PM
If you can't get your iTunes to recognize it after you have tried restarting it- what choice do you have?

The Toon Master
Dec 27, 2006, 09:15 PM
alright

and is there another way to restore my iPod since i still haven't gotten that message again (i tried unplugging it and plugging it back in)?

Thank you again for your help

NotFound
Dec 27, 2006, 09:21 PM
If using restore in iTunes didn't work I wouldn't know what else to do. I would return it for an exchange.

The Toon Master
Dec 27, 2006, 09:23 PM
I can't because i bought this many months ago..

ugh..

EDIT: Well, iTunes just isn't simply recognizing the iPod, i haven't even been given the chance to do it again..

macboy62
Dec 27, 2006, 09:50 PM
I can't because i bought this many months ago..

ugh..

EDIT: Well, iTunes just isn't simply recognizing the iPod, i haven't even been given the chance to do it again..

If you are using a Mac you may have an iPod updater in the utilities folder. Just start that up.

Apple Support site has lots of easy to follow guides to re-starting re-setting your iPod too.

If you don't have the updater download the last updater from the Apple Support site.

If your Windows, get a Mac.... no sorry just follow the Apple Support pages for iPod and Windows.

Sorry you are on Windows... guess you should check the support pages and use a windows iPod updater.

The Toon Master
Dec 28, 2006, 08:27 AM
what do you mean by "updater download"?

Do you mean the part where it says update n the image i put up or the software(like iTunes 7.0.2, which i only have 7.0.0

pianoman
Dec 28, 2006, 08:51 AM
you can restore an iPod in Windows by formatting the drive through Windows Explorer. the iPod should show up as a disk in My Computer. right click that disk and click "Format" - make sure you format as FAT32. when you're done, the iPod will tell you to connect to iTunes to restore it there (which will install the proper iPod software back onto the iPod).

if this doesn't work (because you can't see the disk in My Computer) then you need to get it plugged into a Mac to reset it through Disk Utility. you don't necessarily need to have AppleCare for the Genius Bar people to do this - just go in and explain your problem and ask them to reset your iPod using Disk Utility (if they're smart, they'll already know to do this). they could refuse service or they could help - in the end, it's up to them whether or not they want to be helpful.

if you only have iTunes 7.0.0, i'd recommend downloading 7.0.2 - Apple doesn't add those numbers at the end for show - downloading the latest version of iTunes could be the simplest fix for your problems.

The Toon Master
Dec 28, 2006, 11:23 AM
Well, i tried doing the center+menu again, and my iPod responded :) x 100

I don't know why it didn't do it earlier (i tried it 5 or so times, i think it had something to do with the hold button..)

Thank you all who tried to help me

The Toon Master
Jan 21, 2007, 06:52 PM
I'm having a similar problem

I plugged my iPod in with excrusiating low battery again, and plugged into Computer. But it paused on Do no Disconnect, meaning it didn't flash like normal, and i unplugged it an tried center + menu, and it didn't work

Pretty much, ithink the screen froze whiel it was plugged it in, unplugged it stupidly to charge it in wall, still frozen, need assistance cause i need it for tomorrow!!

Help PLEASE!!!

Scarlet Fever
Jan 21, 2007, 06:59 PM
I'm having a similar problem

I plugged my iPod in with excrusiating low battery again, and plugged into Computer. But it paused on Do no Disconnect, meaning it didn't flash like normal, and i unplugged it an tried center + menu, and it didn't work

Help PLEASE!!!

did you hold the buttons? hold them for a good 5 seconds, and it should reset. If it still causes you problems, restore it.

The warranty lasts a year; if it still causes problems, send it back.

The Toon Master
Jan 21, 2007, 07:02 PM
that's included with purchase right?

doesn't work. but i can't get iTunes to recognize since battery is sooo low

Chundles
Jan 21, 2007, 07:04 PM

Well then leave it plugged in and let it charge.

The Toon Master
Jan 21, 2007, 07:05 PM
But i'm not sure it's actually charging

it's frozen like this

Bar with 7:40 in middle, battery icon with slim bit of red to left

in middle is the do not disconnect thing

pianoman
Jan 21, 2007, 07:07 PM

1 year of AppleCare (the warranty) is included with the purchase of any iPod or Mac from Apple.

with iPods that connect via USB, if the battery is completely empty, you won't always see that they're charging the instant you plug them in. for whatever reason, they have to be plugged in for 15-20 minutes before the image of the battery charging will appear on the screen (this isn't a problem for iPods that connect via FW).

i'd try charging with a wall charger and forget about using the computer for now but if that's not an option, leave it plugged into the computer. if, after a while, it's still not doing anything new, unplug it and try resetting it (hold center + menu buttons together for 5 seconds). then try plugging it in again.

The Toon Master
Jan 21, 2007, 07:11 PM
Alright, i will post back if more problems

Thank you all who help if it is okay

The Toon Master
Jan 21, 2007, 07:26 PM
it's been 15 minutes since i put it in, and the screen hasn't changed.

However, my computer recognized it being plugged in, but it's not shown on iTunes

The Toon Master
Jan 21, 2007, 07:37 PM
Thank you, i unplugged it fro mthe computer(since i didn't read entire post for some reason) and tried Middle + Center buttons again, and it worked

My iPod is fine, but i don't get why it didn't work since i tried it 5 times before that time..