PDA

View Full Version : Repair 2G Shuffle? (Damaged Aluminum)

clayj
Dec 27, 2006, 09:41 PM
Wouldn't you know it, I've had my 2G shuffle for just over a week and today the spring clip decided to let loose briefly, causing the shuffle to hit the pavement. Now the aluminum finish has a few nicks and scratches on it. :mad:

Anyone know of any good methods to repair this sort of damage? Please don't suggest TiPaint, as I've read far too much negative press about them.

pianodude123
Dec 27, 2006, 09:49 PM
Is getting a new one an option.... (Theyre almost disposable)

But...If you arent interested in doing that, you could always bring it to the apple store to see if they could "fix it" Heck theyll probably just give you a new one. for a price though...

Post some pics so we know more specifically where the damage is.

Also...i know this sounds scary...but do you have a sander or some smooth sandpaper?

clayj
Dec 27, 2006, 10:28 PM
Well, I'm tempted to just pack the damn thing back up and return it and eat the restocking fee... it's only $7.50 or so to do that and all I have to worry about is the clerk giving me a hard time if they notice the damage (which is quite minor, but still bugs the crap out of me). At $79, they're not really disposable unless you've had them for a long time... mine's a week old.

The damage is around the top edge, near the Off and Shuffle switches, all around the edge near the white plastic.

As for these things being cast aluminum or solid aluminum... I don't buy that. Looks more like vapor-deposited aluminum over some cheaper metal underneath.

And no, I'm not sanding it.

EricNau
Dec 27, 2006, 10:35 PM
I personally would just leave it alone. Most of the time trying to fix something will just make it look worse.

I'm curious, did it get dinged & scratched just by falling to the pavement, or did it scrape in some way? Also, was it connected to your headphones? ...I'm just trying to figure out how durable these things are.

Sutekidane
Dec 27, 2006, 10:35 PM
I once returned a mini to target that I had dropped and gotten quite a few dings in, and they didn't even really look at it.

I guess your mileage will vary.

Maxwell Smart
Dec 27, 2006, 10:36 PM
Well, I'm tempted to just pack the damn thing back up and return it and eat the restocking fee... it's only $7.50 or so to do that and all I have to worry about is the clerk giving me a hard time if they notice the damage (which is quite minor, but still bugs the crap out of me). At $79, they're not really disposable unless you've had them for a long time... mine's a week old.

The damage is around the top edge, near the Off and Shuffle switches, all around the edge near the white plastic.

As for these things being cast aluminum or solid aluminum... I don't buy that. Looks more like vapor-deposited aluminum over some cheaper metal underneath.

And no, I'm not sanding it.

I would just deal with the restocking fee. Probably won't get a better deal to fix all of it than that.

clayj
Dec 27, 2006, 11:34 PM
I'm curious, did it get dinged & scratched just by falling to the pavement, or did it scrape in some way? Also, was it connected to your headphones? ...I'm just trying to figure out how durable these things are.Yeah, it was when it hit the pavement. I didn't have headphones on at the time (it was just clipped to my jacket), so there was nothing to stop it from falling once the thing decided to let go of my jacket. The clip really is not that strong... it should be much stronger.

I've decided I'm going to try to return it tomorrow.

EricNau
Dec 27, 2006, 11:39 PM
Yeah, it was when it hit the pavement. I didn't have headphones on at the time (it was just clipped to my jacket), so there was nothing to stop it from falling once the thing decided to let go of my jacket. The clip really is not that strong... it should be much stronger.
Oh, that explains a lot - I thought for sure the headphones would have stopped it.

Good Luck.

clayj
Dec 27, 2006, 11:58 PM
Oh, that explains a lot - I thought for sure the headphones would have stopped it.What happened was, I was driving, so I took my headphones off but left the shuffle clipped to my jacket. When I got out of the car, that's when the shuffle let go, before I could get my headphones on.

clayj
Dec 28, 2006, 02:07 PM
Well, they didn't even blink when I returned it. Said "you know there's a 10% restocking fee" and I said "yep" and that was that.

Maybe if the shuffle ever gets a better/stronger clip, I will get a new one. But for now I'll stick with my iPod and my nano, both of which safely stay in my pockets when I'm out and about.