Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brandon6684

Original poster
Dec 30, 2002
I have a 600MHz G3 iMac(summer 2001 version I think). Besides RAM what upgrades can I make to it? Can the processors be upgraded. If so, are the iMacs IBM or Motorola, and can they take an IBM G3 and at what speeds.

It only has a CD-RW, would it be hard to put in a drive from a DV iMac(where those combo or DVD only) if I find one.

I'm guessing I can't do any thing to the video card, especially since I want to keep in in the same all in one form factor, so I don't want to shove the guts into an ATX case.

yzedf

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2002
Connecticut
faster hard drive - 7200rpm - will make a nice difference too. the processor can be upgraded... but there is not a lot to be gained for your machine. RAM is easy. Video card can not be done, and that is your biggest slowdown for OS X...

brandon6684

Original poster
Dec 30, 2002
Any idea what the highest processor I can upgrade to is? Since I'm not a big gamer, the video card isn't really the big problem, since loading up on RAM can help OS X quite a bit. I do a little software development and encode/decode video so the processor is my biggest concern. Will some of IBMs G3s work, I've heard good things about them. Usually most PC motherboards tell you what proceesors fit and what speed, but it's a bit more trick for these macs

damax452

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2003
ahem

I bought my 15GB iPod on saturday...my first iPod. At first I was absolutely amazed by it. The fact that it is so small, and beautiful, while still being functional just blew me away. However, I do agree that there are some minor design flaws. Nothing major though.

- The buttons are too sensitive, I am able to change the volume with my finger through the outside my pocket even. and when i reach into my poket to make a change, i often press the wrong button by accident. The hold button is essential here.

- As for scratching/fingerprints, iPod is very prone to both, kind of a bummer but i am usually very careful with everything i own so its not a big issue with me.

- I find the text very easy to read, but i wish i could more effectively search for a song...like display all songs in the format of "artist - album - title" in one long list (no folders). I know you can do this by songs only but i prefer by artist....(can you do this?)

- The remote is useless to me, too many wires, and it doesnt clip well to anything.

That's about all, although it seems like im ripping the iPod bad, they are just minor faults, I'm still happy with my purchase.

:)

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
damax, i think you posted this in the wrong thread,lol. or at least i hope you think you posted it in the wrong one.

iJon

donigian

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2003
Washington, DC, USA
Sorry, no major upgrades...

Sorry, but the only things that are upgradeable for your iMac are the RAM and Hard Drive (and external peripherals, of course). Everything else (CPU, Graphics Card) are built into/on the motherboard and can not be changed.

As far as CD drives are concerned, you have options: MCE Technologies sells a "SuperDrive" upgrade for $450 US. http://store.powerbook1.com/mceindvsupup11.html

They also sell CD drive upgrades for many other types of newer macs: Cube, Tray-Loading iMacs, TiBooks, iBooks, G4 iMacs, and PowerMac Towers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.