PDA

View Full Version : can't move download from computer to iPod

fjs08
Dec 28, 2006, 02:23 PM
I bought and downloaded The Revolution from The History Channel. I received a message that all 12 of the episodes aren't able to be loaded onto the iPod because my "iPod isn't authorized to play them on this computer."

What's that and how do I correct it??

I do have Apple Care for my new Mac Book Pro. Could that be a solution??

Thanks.

Frank

jsw
Dec 28, 2006, 02:26 PM
As far as I can tell, you need to authorize your Mac; presumably, you originally had the iPod connected to another system.

It's easy to do - either just click on the show(s) within iTunes on the new Mac, which will prompt you to authorize it, or go to the "Store->Authorize Computer..." menu item in iTunes.

You can authorize up to 5 systems. Be sure to deauthorize any you sell or bring in for repairs.

fjs08
Dec 28, 2006, 03:04 PM
>>As far as I can tell, you need to authorize your Mac; presumably, you originally had the iPod connected to another system.<<

New Mac, new iPod. I did a firewire connection to bring everything from my Ti-Book to my Mac Book Pro, so I wonder if some prior authorization came from that.

>>It's easy to do - either just click on the show(s) within iTunes on the new Mac, which will prompt you to authorize it, or go to the "Store->Authorize Computer..." menu item in iTunes.<<

Tried it and it worked. Thanks. I love the iPod Video. Really slick!!

>>You can authorize up to 5 systems. Be sure to deauthorize any you sell or bring in for repairs.<<

So I can play my iPod on my other Mac and it won't foul up anything other than it may "over sync" what I have on already to something else that is on my other computer-unless I change to sync settings. Is that correct???

Frank

jsw
Dec 28, 2006, 03:10 PM
New Mac, new iPod. I did a firewire connection to bring everything from my Ti-Book to my Mac Book Pro, so I wonder if some prior authorization came from that.Yup. The files you download from the iTunes Music Store are protected, and, while you can copy them freely, you can only play them on authorized computers, or iPods which downloaded them from authorized computers. The fact that you transferred the files from an authorized computer explains your initial problem.
So I can play my iPod on my other Mac and it won't foul up anything other than it may "over sync" what I have on already to something else that is on my other computer-unless I change to sync settings. Is that correct???
If you set it to sync manually on both systems, you should be fine - you'll just need to tell it to sync when you dock it. I'd recommend keeping the iTunes libraries the same, though, between your Macs - which will also ensure that you've got a backup copy of any iTunes music/videos you buy.