PDA

View Full Version : Old iPods with AAC

bcharm
May 7, 2003, 05:26 PM
Anyone with an old iPod upgrade it for AAC? Just wondering if I should buy an old iPod, and save myself some money (especially since I don't like the design of the new iPods). Are there any common problems with the old iPods I should be aware of? (i.e. bad batteries)

MorganX
May 7, 2003, 05:44 PM
I still use a 5G original iPod. Works and sounds great with AAC.

Haven't had a battery problem since the 1.2.x software upgrade.

davy the bunny
May 8, 2003, 12:51 PM
I'm going to agree with MorganX about the AAC and the playing because it's great with no problems and smooth operation. About the battery, I was having problems with 1.2.6 but it all seems cured so far with 1.3. I'd recommend that you go ahead and update.

Snowy_River
May 10, 2003, 05:10 PM
I bought a 20GB iPod the day the new iPods were announced. I got it for the same price as the new 15GB iPod, to boot. I have had no problem whatsoever with AAC files on it (as I have most of my music ripped using iTunes 4, I'd have noticed if there was a problem). If it's the music player that you're after, I'd say feel free to go for an older iPod, but be aware that there are some features on the newer iPods that the older ones may never support.

rainman::|:|
May 10, 2003, 06:13 PM
Yeah the new iPod has it's pros and cons, but AAC plays flawlessly. i'm surely satisfied with my old iPod for as long as it takes my abuse :) if you really want solitare or configurable menus don't expect to get them with the older one, but i agree with you about the design...

pnw

Wardofsky
May 10, 2003, 08:41 PM
Go with the design, and also perhaps the software features (New games, On-The-Go etc.).

I revieved my 10gb (Touch pad scroll, manual buttons, the 2nd Generation) on the same day that the new iPods were announced.

AAC is a disk space saver, I had been ripping MP3s at 320kbs (which is almost unnecesary) and when I converted them into AAC at 128kps there was no clear differences apart from moving my Music collection from 5.2gb to 3.32gb.

phantommaul
May 11, 2003, 09:41 AM
there is no problem with aac and old ipods.

but go buy a new one. dont hate the new button layout.
we will get used to it.

Jaykay
May 11, 2003, 09:58 AM
I have a 20GB ipod with the 1.3 update, and like the others, ive had no problems with either aac or batteries. I dont see myself getting a new ipod anytime soon. The bigger HD is nice and i quite like the new design and the dock is great but my ipod is just too tough. The floor in my room (just under my computer desk) is made of tile, so ya can guess what happens from time to time but it hasnt broken (yet) anyways.