PDA

View Full Version : Displeased with the new iPod's very sensitive controls? Send feedback!


ebow
May 7, 2003, 06:58 PM
I'm enjoying my new iPod for the most part, but a bit dissatisfied with how very sensitive the touch controls are. I accidentally brush over and "tap" the wrong control once in a while, and have to be rather careful most of the time. If you're even just annoyed by this once in a while, please SEND APPLE FEEDBACK.

This is the link to Apple's iPod Feedback page. (http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipod.html)

I sent my feedback in a few days ago, and if enough people send polite but concerned words to the right set of eyes, we might just see a fix. I hope. :cool:

iJon
May 7, 2003, 07:51 PM
well i doubt they can fix it since its hardware and not software, buttons are heat sensitive. although they can consider it in next revisions. i am not bothered by this problem because this is what the hold button is for, i take it you learn to like it to, :)

iJon

ozubahn
May 7, 2003, 08:03 PM
The button behavior might be adjustable via a firmware tweak, depending on how much information the button hardware supplies to the software. If the hardware says "The play button was pushed" then there isn't much they could do, but if the hardware says, "The play button is currently reporting 850% of normal capacitance" or something like that, then there is some room for modification. Who knows which it is, though...

In any case, the hold switch works. :)

ebow
May 7, 2003, 08:06 PM
Human interaction with the hardware has to be intepretted by code at some point in order to produce results in the iPod's user software. It's possible (perhaps quite likely?) that this interpretation is done by programmable software, and if so, then it's tweakable. I only asked that they make it ~5-10% less sensitive.

I use the hold button all the time, but it's when I'm using the controls that I occasionally brush lightly over one on my way to tap another. Or perhaps I'm scrolling and my finger twitches as I stop, and the selection jumps up or down by one. I don't know for a fact that these problems can be addressed, but it's worth asking them to look into it.

kylos
May 7, 2003, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by ozubahn
The button behavior might be adjustable via a firmware tweak, depending on how much information the button hardware supplies to the software. If the hardware says "The play button was pushed" then there isn't much they could do, but if the hardware says, "The play button is currently reporting 850% of normal capacitance" or something like that, then there is some room for modification. Who knows which it is, though...

In any case, the hold switch works. :)

My guess is that most information is passed to the software since the scroll wheel responds according to your speed increase. Which means there's a good chance this can be fixed in firmware.

CrackedButter
May 8, 2003, 08:14 AM
I like the controls, i think they are perfect and if i would have any problems i would use the hold button. I see no issue here personally.

ebow
May 8, 2003, 09:13 AM
Why does everyone insist on suggesting that the hold switch is the solution? You can't use the controls while hold is on! If you don't have a problem at any time (I'm good at least 90% of the time) then you're probably not one of the pointlessly noisy individuals who seem like they bought an iPod just to have something new to b!tch about. :eek:

Kid Red
May 8, 2003, 09:34 AM
Send feedback, that's what it's for. But don't expect to see changes soon with all 20 of ytou sending feedback. For every one OS 9-preX type whiner, 10 love the new iPod.

CrackedButter
May 8, 2003, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by ebow
Why does everyone insist on suggesting that the hold switch is the solution? You can't use the controls while hold is on! If you don't have a problem at any time (I'm good at least 90% of the time) then you're probably not one of the pointlessly noisy individuals who seem like they bought an iPod just to have something new to b!tch about. :eek:

There is always the remote.

chewbaccapits
May 8, 2003, 10:32 AM
It can be alittle sensitive but its not too bad...I'm just glad to have it...Um, can't resist, but....stop being so sensitive!...............get it? Anyone? get it?.

ebow
May 8, 2003, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by chewbaccapits
It can be alittle sensitive but its not too bad...I'm just glad to have it...Um, can't resist, but....stop being so sensitive!...............get it? Anyone? get it?.

:)

To quote from an early Simpsons episode (7G02, Bart the Genius (http://snpp.com/episodes/7G02.html)), "Derivative dy = 3 r^2 / 3, or r^2 dr, or r dr r ... get it? har-dee-har-har..." :D Okay, so I'm a Simpsons geek who remembers obscure and really bad math puns. The point is... uh... who the hell cares anymore? :rolleyes:

Six
May 8, 2003, 11:40 PM
The controls are a lil touchy for me, but i can deal with it.. i just use the hold switch... my problem is that some of my songs will quit playing at the same spot everytime.. i dont know whats going on.. i go back to it, and it quits at the exact same spot, but if i fast forward past that part where it stops, it continues on.. its weird!! any ideas? i tried a reset on it, and a restore...

AndrewMT
May 8, 2003, 11:58 PM
I also love the controls. Never had any accidental pushes. If anything, I have been having trouble with the select button not responding at certain times.