PDA

View Full Version : Strange power-on problem (5g/video/30gb)

outspoken1761
Dec 29, 2006, 10:00 AM
Ok, my very first post here involves a strange issue my ipod is having (and which I've not seen on any ipod forum I've visited). As of a few days ago, my 30gb video ipod refused to power on. It was fully charged, and had been working fine until then. However, when I reset with menu/select, came on fine! So, I tried all the click wheel buttons, and they worked fine too. But when I powered it back off, it wouldn't come back on again - and that's the situation every time since then. The play/pause button works just fine EXCEPT to power it on. It will pause and power off with no problems. But the only way to turn the thing on seems to be by resetting it, which is very annoying (especially since resetting causes me to lose my place in any song or playlist, not to mention volume settings, etc.)
Nothing out of the ordinary has happened with this ipod - hasn't been dropped, no other unusual behavior, I had been using it with my cassette adapter in my car as usual that morning, etc.
So, here's what I've done so far: I've gone through the restore procedure (the "five R's"); I also ran the diagnostic mode by pressing rev/select for a few seconds while the apple logo was on screen, and I went through all the diagnostics there - all reports came back fine! The ipod diagnostics report that the click wheel is fine, and all the buttons work, but the fact remains that the only way to turn the ipod on, is to reset it.

I would really love any ideas you might have! Please let me know if I'm leaving out any info or any steps - Thanks so much-

Osarkon
Dec 29, 2006, 11:05 AM
How long are you leaving it off? After a certain amount of time, you need to press the Menu button to turn the ipod on. Try that :)

pianoman
Dec 29, 2006, 11:50 AM
how about toggling the hold button.

take it to an Apple Store.

outspoken1761
Dec 29, 2006, 02:38 PM
Re: using the menu button after it's been off a while, that's true but in this case it doesn't matter how long it's been off, nothing will turn it back on except resetting. Toggling the hold button doesn't matter either, but that's another good point.
But the observation about the menu button does point out the fact that it's not a play/pause button issue, I suppose. If it were, then the menu button should still wake up the ipod.