Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ionfiter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2006
Central Colorado, 7000 feet
I think I've narrowed it down to these two, wanting to buy one camera for DVD documentaries now, but with the capability to start shooting a festival quality film after I've become competent at operating the camera - in a year or so.

I've found the Sony for $500 less, but the final video image is the important factor.

Anyone able to tell me why this particular Sony is not as capable as this particular Panasonic?

I'm open to other cameras, but nothing over $2500 (these are both under). So please comment mainly on these two, unless you think I've really missed a gem.

Thanks so much!

poppe

macrumors 68020
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
I think I've narrowed it down to these two, wanting to buy one camera for DVD documentaries now, but with the capability to start shooting a festival quality film after I've become competent at operating the camera - in a year or so.

I've found the Sony for $500 less, but the final video image is the important factor.

Anyone able to tell me why this particular Sony is not as capable as this particular Panasonic?

I'm open to other cameras, but nothing over $2500 (these are both under). So please comment mainly on these two, unless you think I've really missed a gem.

Thanks so much!

I don't know about the the sony. We used the Panasonic in a short film recently. Quality was really nice. Personally I don't like being able to switch out the lenses but it got the job done. Most people at my school are fan boys for the the DVX 100. Still for the price its pretty sweet.

bigbossbmb

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2004
Pasadena/Hollywood
the DVX is hands down a more film-like look...that is why I bought it :D

where are you finding it for under $2500 though? that is getting into creepy scam/grey market cam range...

bigbossbmb

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2004
Pasadena/Hollywood

as to why the sony isn't capable: no 24p, DVX's superior gamma/color settings, DVX's superior audio system...the list goes on. there is a lot of information comparing cameras in this range, I'm sure you can find it with a quick google search.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Member ionfiter has had trouble logging into the forums, and asked me to post this message:
Thanks so much for the 'scam' alert advice.

Think you are right, as all feedback reports indicate the sources below $2500 are bait & switchers or shipping gray market stuff, or some such.

Only exception is zoommania.com, which has been in business at least 6 years, and has quite a few good feedback reviews on a few different websites, but also several suspicious and bad reviews.

Unless a couple of people here can recommend zoommania, I will have to count them out too.

Lowest other prices are right at $2600, but include some variety of 'extra' packages included "free".

Sure wish I could just buy the DVX100B with it's boxed accessories for, like, $2100..........​

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.