Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheBusDriver

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 24, 2005
Ok I bought my dad an 80gig iPod for christmas and it has my iTunes library on it from my mac. First off all how do I configure the iPod to work with both windows and OSX, and secondaly how do I get my library off of his iPod and on to the windows computer he has.

GreeneGirl7

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2005
Oxford, England
Ok I bought my dad an 80gig iPod for christmas and it has my iTunes library on it from my mac. First off all how do I configure the iPod to work with both windows and OSX, and secondaly how do I get my library off of his iPod and on to the windows computer he has.

Hmm... actually, I don't think you'll be able to get your music onto his computer from the iPod because a Mac formatted iPod doesn't work with Windows. However, once it's formatted for Windows you can also use it on a Mac, just a slightly slower transfer rate. Hopefully someone will correct me shortly if I'm wrong.

If it's not too much music, or if you have a DVD burner, your best bet I believe is to make data DVDs using Finder and then import into iTunes on the Windows PC from the DVDs.

TheBusDriver

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 24, 2005
It's 13 gigs how do I get it to windows format, once i get it into that i could put all the music back onto the iPod and put it on the windoze computer right?

GreeneGirl7

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2005
Oxford, England
It's 13 gigs how do I get it to windows format, once i get it into that i could put all the music back onto the iPod and put it on the windoze computer right?

I haven't done it personally, but when you plug the iPod into the Windows PC it should ask you to format it for Windows. Make sure you have the newest version of iTunes on the PC first. Then you can put the music back on the iPod from the Mac for transferring to the PC. This Apple support article should help you do it -

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300173

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.