Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

m8888888

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2006
I have a D50, which I've had for a few months and never had a problem with. Something happened to the memory card the other day, and it keeps giving me an error message. It's a 2Gb SD card, and the brand is info.ez (just a generic brand, I guess!). I'm going to return it, but in the meantime, I want my pictures off the camera!! I plugged the camera directly into the computer, and it started to transfer the pictures, but it said it would take 3 hours, or something, so I stopped it. I tried it with two different card readers, and nothing happened. I plugged them in, and they didn't come up on my desktop. The computer didn't recognize them. I put the card in my small digital camera, and that worked, but only about 10 of the 385 pictures turned out- a few at the beginning and a few at the end. It said the rest were corrupted. I've tried multiple times, on two different computers, to connect the D50 again directly, as I did the first time, but now the computer doesn't recognize it. The pictures are still viewable on the camera. Is there any way to FORCE my computer to recognize the camera? Or any ideas on how to get my photos off?? Or are they gone forever?
Thank you so much for any help!!
Oh, in case it matters, the two computers I tried are a Mac G4 Titanium Powerbook, and a new MacBook.

coldrain

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2006
You do not have to return the card, most probably. This sometimes happens with flash cards. The FAT structure can get corrupted.
You need to put the card in a card reader and run one of the many compact flash data rescue programs that are available for both mac and windows, that are specifically there to get photos off a card with damaged file structure.
Just google for compact flash data rescue or something.

If the card does not mount, not all programs may be able to get anything off the card. In that case you may have more luck on a windows machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.